PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Linux firewall?

Nyromith
June 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I am a very dangerous hacker and look for easy targets to break into. Are you one of them? :twisted:

3Miro
June 7th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I am a very dangerous hacker and look for easy targets to break into. Are you one of them? :twisted:

If you were, you would know that Ubuntu doesn't need a firewall.

In order for an attack to come from the outside, you need an open port and Ubuntu doesn't open any (by default).

Also, the firewall is technically always installed, just not enabled. Various tools only serve to setup rules and policies, they don't install a firewall the same way you would in Windows.

Nyromith
June 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Of course I was kidding.

As for me, I used to be a paranoid and had a very limiting router configuration and an enabled Linux firewall that allowed only 80 and 443 outbound. Recently, I bought a modem without a router function and disabled the Linux firewall, and got a huge boost. It feels like opening a window to look outside rather than looking through the glass. Yes, there are dangers, but it feels wonderful when your computer is a direct member of a huge global network.

On Windows though, I wouldn't dare to disable the firewall.

sisco311
June 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Where is the other option?

The firewall is disabled on my desktop, but a linux firewall is enabled on my router. ;)

fuduntu
June 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Yes, and anyone with a portable computer that leaves their internet router and connects to a public network now and then or forwards ports / uses upnp should have one enabled.

Gremlinzzz
June 7th, 2011, 11:06 PM
sudo ufw enable
do it after a fresh install:)

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 7th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I have a switch/router at home. When at home, I am behind the switch/router that only forward ports other than 80 and 443 to the WAN. On my LAN, I use ssh, rdp, and samba; therefore, I have ports open. When I take my laptop or netbook out of the house I enable ufw. ufw simplifies the process of manipulating setting up the rules and policies.

It is funny when I get home again, then try to use cssh to update all my servers and desktops all at once, and it takes me a few seconds to realize the reason cssh doesn't work is because ufw is enabled :).

Frogs Hair
June 8th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Enabled with the most basic settings .

BigCityCat
June 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Don't most routers use a linux firewall?

Nyromith
June 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think blocking outbound ports can enhance security very much, because most malicious software use port 80, the most popular. After all, ports are just numbers, no?

Random_Dude
June 8th, 2011, 11:32 AM
sudo ufw enable
do it after a fresh install:)
+1

It's been always the first command I run after a fresh install.

FunkyRes
June 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I use Linux firewall on my servers (CentOS 5.x) but for my home network, I primarily rely upon my routers firewall and not running any services I don't need.

Firewall is just one line of defense on them, I also turn off services I don't need and run services for personal use (IE ssh) on non standard port.

I don't use linux firewall rules on home network because I don't want to mess with reconfiguring the firewall every time I want to play with some new service. I would prefer to just start the daemon, access it from various clients, and kill the daemon when I no longer need/want it.

jerenept
June 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM
I don't think blocking outbound ports can enhance security very much, because most malicious software use port 80, the most popular. After all, ports are just numbers, no?

Any port between 1024 and 65536 can be opened by any process, with any permission, right? Just a number!

Most malicious software uses user trust and ignorance on IT security, as modern OS's are pretty much unbreakable now.

markp1989
June 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I got a dedicated firewall at home running Astaro Home edition.

only opened a few ports needed for xbox live and basic web use, everything else is blocked.

although I do have ufw enabled on my laptop as it frequently gets used out side my house.

Glencore
June 8th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I use Mobloquer if that counts.

uRock
June 8th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Of course I was kidding.

As for me, I used to be a paranoid and had a very limiting router configuration and an enabled Linux firewall that allowed only 80 and 443 outbound. Recently, I bought a modem without a router function and disabled the Linux firewall, and got a huge boost. It feels like opening a window to look outside rather than looking through the glass. Yes, there are dangers, but it feels wonderful when your computer is a direct member of a huge global network.

On Windows though, I wouldn't dare to disable the firewall.

Did you have any issues with DNS?

lisati
June 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Each to their own......

My setup only allows incoming connections to what I choose to let in, with a slightly tweaked fail2ban (which works with iptables) monitoring suspicious behaviour on my server machine.

handy
June 9th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I use a standalone headless Dell Optiplex PIII 700Mhz 256MB RAM 20GB HDD (the original 2GB HDD eventually failed), running IPCop (http://www.ipcop.org/).

It is quick & simple to set up (once you know how), is quiet & uses $53-/year electricity (I tested it).

I have screenshots of all of the client side browser interface configuration screens, so that in the inevitable case that I have to reinstall due to hardware failure, the configuration will be quick & simple, saving me from having to reinvent the wheel.

I also have an Athlon 700 machine that is already setup & ready to swap in when the Dell inevitably fails.

The IPCop box is the firewall router for the household LAN, the ADSL modem/router runs in bridge mode, which basically turns that router off & just uses modem straight through.

I've been running this $5- Dell from the rubbish tip 24/7 for years now. No problems bar the drive failure, (I have a pile of both IDE & SATA drives laying around). :)

Nyromith
June 9th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Did you have any issues with DNS?

Yes, how could I forget... Port 53/udp also must be opened.

kimda
June 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I use Debian with iptables as a firewall/router. At home I have a Linksys wireless router which I flashed with dd-wrt firmware which uses also iptables as a firewall.