PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PC Hangs / Ubuntu 11.04

geidorei
June 7th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Hi - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dual core PC, 2 years old - was on XP, no problems, apart from it was Windows lol

If this PC is left unattended, screen saver comes on, occasionally when I return screen has frozen, mouse still moves though, and have to switch it off.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?

wildmanne39
June 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Hi - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Dual core PC, 2 years old - was on XP, no problems, apart from it was Windows lol

If this PC is left unattended, screen saver comes on, occasionally when I return screen has frozen, mouse still moves though, and have to switch it off.

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this?
Hi, there is a problem with the natty going to sleep, you should set you screen saver not to come on and in that same screen click on power management and set it not to spin down or go to sleep at least until this issue is fixed.

geidorei
June 7th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ahha - awesome, thanks for the info.

Also, when will we know its fixed? Is there a particular place to keep an eye out?

wildmanne39
June 7th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Ahha - awesome, thanks for the info.

Also, when will we know its fixed? Is there a particular place to keep an eye out?
Hi, They are working on the new release that will fix all the problems in natty, we are testing it right now but it is not due to be out until October, see this is the first release of a new interface for ubuntu so it has a few issues.

geidorei
June 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
okidoki - looking forward to the new release.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Here is a really handy guide for 10.10 if you are interested:

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

geidorei
June 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hi thanks for info but will stay with 11.04 - 10.10 is on old laptop and aok. As a note 11.04 is aok on new laptop, never hangs.

moonport
June 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I turned back to 10.04 LTS. Too many issues with 11.04, at least for now.