PDA

View Full Version : Convert Me to Transmission (From qBittorrent/Deluge)

dniMretsaM
June 7th, 2011, 02:37 AM
Ok, so I've been using qBittorrent for a while (and Deluge before that, but I had some problems with the GUI so I switched to qBT which is pretty much the same) because I had heard that Transmission was not as good and lacked a lot of features/options. Lately, however, I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. Please don't just post and say "I like Transmission. It has all the features I need." I want to know WHY it's better (or why it's not). Is it faster? Does it have the same amount of options? Etc. Also, I believe that having well-known programs as the defaults in Ubuntu will be good for it, so have a client that's pretty well know (in the Mac world, mainly) would be a plus. uTorrent would be even better, but the Linux version is not ready for the 'average' user. So have at it! Convert me to Transmission!

Warpnow
June 7th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Transmission is good for casual users but it does lack alot of features and UI elements.

NightwishFan
June 7th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I find that transmission uses up more of my available bandwidth than 'utorrent-like' clients that have a top 'queue'. If I set a hard limit of such and such kb/s transmission usually is able to meet it.

drawkcab
June 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM
The one thing that recommends transmission of qbit is that the gui is snappier. Qbit is like molasses sometimes. On the other hand, it used to be really easy to run transmission through a proxy and they inexplicably removed that feature.

mikewhatever
June 7th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Convert you, why? What's wrong with the client you use?

doas777
June 7th, 2011, 05:48 AM
well, I like the web interface. I don't know about the clients you've been using but i replaced torrentflux with it and am much happier. my only issue is that I haven't found an easy way to run it as a service.

Oxwivi
June 7th, 2011, 06:11 AM
It lacks feature and has a basic interface intentionally. It is a simple bittorrent client that works - not many casual downloaders would like to bother with the configurations.

If you're the type to heavily customize the behind the scene elements, don't bother with Transmission.

nothingspecial
June 7th, 2011, 06:39 AM
The simplicity of the cli

alias tra='transmission-cli -D -u 50 -er'

So to download ubuntu, you can just

tra http://releases.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

3 key presses then a Ctrl-Shift-V and that's that, but then I'm not much of a torrenter, I only use them for free software.

Paqman
June 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
I like Transmission because it has less options. It has everything you need for everyday torrenting, without getting bogged down with a ton of useless cruft.

Although TBH, I use a desktop torrent client very rarely. Most of my torrenting is done by my NAS through a browser interface. Leaving a big power hungry desktop running round the clock just for a torrent job is ridiculously wasteful IMO.

Zero2Nine
June 7th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I use Transmission just like I've used BitTorrent in Windows, see no difference. It's just another working torrent client for me with a nice minimalistic interface.