PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installation of WUBI

mosesb1003
June 7th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Hi Here's my problem...

I have made two partitions, one for Windows and one for Ubuntu (WUBI).

Can I install WUBI on the second partition and erase the Windows partition without any problems?

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 7th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Hi Here's my problem...

I have made two partitions, one for Windows and one for Ubuntu (WUBI).

Can I install WUBI on the second partition and erase the Windows partition without any problems?

I think you would be better off just creating a live Ubuntu USB Flash Drive or disc of Ubuntu and installing from that, and
wiping your entire hard drive.

Here is a really nice guide to get your started. I would recommended 10.10. But I also posted 11.04 for you too.

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

http://cinderbox.net/2011/04/03/to-do-list-after-installing-ubuntu-11-04-aka-natty-narwhal/

Bucky Ball
June 7th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Think you have slightly the wrong idea, mosesb. Wubi is designed to run inside Windows on the Windows partition like any other program, not on a separate partition. Designed to try Ubuntu out for awhile, see how you like it, then full install or remove Wubi. It's not a permanent solution or OS.

Wubi is basically like a Windows program running in Windows. As suggested, go the full install. If you have two partitions there ready to go, install Win on the first, Ubuntu (I would go 10.04 LTS for starters) on the second and you're off and racing!

So you really having no problem, just a slight misundersanding. Welcome, enjoy the learning curve and good luck. ;)

PS: When you download the ISO and make a Ubuntu boot disk (choose desktop ISO), boot from it and 'Try Ubuntu' option. See how it all runs and if your hardware cooperates (wireless generally doesn't from a LIVE boot from CD but this should be no problems when installed on the hard drive).

mosesb1003
June 7th, 2011, 04:24 AM
linuxinstalledfromhdd, Bucky Ball,

Thanks for both of your replies. I will try to do that. I have experience with Ubuntu but not with WUBI. I guess a LiveCD will work.

Thanks,
mosesb1003

Bucky Ball
June 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Yep, LiveCD, 'Try Ubuntu', if all good install from there. Good luck and don't hesitate to post a new thread with any new problems. Stick a link here if you like. ;)

PS: Don't bother installing hardware drivers if you are offered them during a LiveCD boot. There is nowhere to install them as you are running the OS from the CD if you follow me. But if you are offered hardware drivers that is good because you will get them again when you have installed; you'll then have somewhere to install the drivers to.