PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install hangs on Time Zone Selection (VirtualBox on Win7 Host)

kadaan
June 6th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 11.04 in a VirtualBox VM on my Win7 host machine. I gave the VM 1024M RAM and an 8G drive. I have ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso as my install image.

Each time I try to install it, it hangs on the "Where are you?" timezone selector. The last entry in the log is "ubuntu ubiquity[2818]: switch to page timezone".

I can move the install pane around, but no mouse clicks register inside the window. The network/sound/system menu items in the top right all work fine (although the icon remains the waiting icon and no a pointer/hand.) There is no disk/cd/network activity on the indicators.

Any ideas?

collisionystm
June 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 11.04 in a VirtualBox VM on my Win7 host machine. I gave the VM 1024M RAM and an 8G drive. I have ubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso as my install image.

Each time I try to install it, it hangs on the "Where are you?" timezone selector. The last entry in the log is "ubuntu ubiquity[2818]: switch to page timezone".

I can move the install pane around, but no mouse clicks register inside the window. The network/sound/system menu items in the top right all work fine (although the icon remains the waiting icon and no a pointer/hand.) There is no disk/cd/network activity on the indicators.

Any ideas?

The first thought that comes to my mind is, ditch virtualbox. Yes, I know, its magical. I swore by it for a long time. UNTIL I discovered VMware player. You can do everything that Virtualbox does and more. It even lets you go so far as drag and dropping files from host to guest and vice-versa. And, did I mention, its free with better support? Oracle is a plague to sun microsystems. What was once a great product is being destroyed.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 7th, 2011, 12:11 AM
VMware is what you want to use in Windows too.. I confirm that.

kadaan
June 7th, 2011, 12:32 AM
VMWare worked perfectly, thanks :).

Ratzian
June 21st, 2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks a bunch, guys :) Had the same problem today.