PDA

View Full Version : Quotes from people who you "converted" to ubuntu

user1397
June 6th, 2011, 11:15 PM
The other day my brother and I somehow started talking about operating systems (I am the tech-savvy one in the family, he doesn't know too much). Anyway, one of the things he said that I found awesome was this:

"Back when I used windows for my home computer (and I still use it at work because we have to) I always had lots of random little problems all the time. When I had a mac I still had some problems every now and then. Ever since I started using ubuntu on my laptop I've had literally 0 problems."

Any other awesome quotes like this from friends or family?

Cheers

jramshu
June 7th, 2011, 01:11 AM
My brother bought a new laptop the other day.

"Can you come by and put Ubuntu on this **mn thing, windows 7 is already crashing!"

collisionystm
June 7th, 2011, 01:15 AM
My brother bought a new laptop the other day.

"Can you come by and put Ubuntu on this **mn thing, windows 7 is already crashing!"

Can you imagine how companies like HP would muck up Ubuntu if they decided to mass market it on their computers? I can only imagine all the HP ******** software they would try to pack with it. I cannot stand new computers from the store, the manufacture puts so much garbage on them that they actually decrease the performance of what should be a fast PC! .... idiots... Toshiba is the only company I have seen so far that doesn't include crappy 3rd party software. In fact, their factory image is as close to vanilla windows 7 as your going to get from a retail store

jramshu
June 7th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Can you imagine how companies like HP would muck up Ubuntu if they decided to mass market it on their computers? I can only imagine all the HP ******** software they would try to pack with it. I cannot stand new computers from the store, the manufacture puts so much garbage on them that they actually decrease the performance of what should be a fast PC! .... idiots... Toshiba is the only company I have seen so far that doesn't include crappy 3rd party software. In fact, their factory image is as close to vanilla windows 7 as your going to get from a retail store

Amen! I have an HP and three Compaq's, came loaded with so much crap I couldn't stand it. I deleted all of it.(Actually deleted windows on the HP and one Compaq, they both straight out FLY with Ubuntu.)

nzjethro
June 7th, 2011, 02:17 AM
Except for those occasional banking websites that are Internet explorer only... * sigh *.....

And, as a student, the occasional online journal db that isn't Linux compatible.
But most of my Linux converts are along the lines of "What is this, how do I change back", and then a few weeks later along the lines of "Man this is fantastic, why-oh-why did I ever use Windows?"

Pirate Zoro
June 7th, 2011, 03:14 AM
My brother: "I got a virus, and now all my files are corrupted."
Me: "Want to try [Ubuntu] out? It's a lot safer, and since you like Macs I can show you how to get a cool Mac theme."
Him: "YEEESSSS!!"
I consider that a success, at least for the time being, lol :mrgreen:

Irihapeti
June 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
From my son, who got sooooo annoyed with Windows not starting up half the time that he downloaded 8.04 (a few years back) and installed it on his laptop.

"...it's fast, reliable, customisable, not too alien, and looks good. And it starts up every time."

That laptop eventually got stolen. I wonder what the thieves thought they'd found when they started it up!...

1roxtar
June 7th, 2011, 05:50 AM
1. A "convert" of mine brings his buddy over to my house and demands that I show him "that thing you put on my computer" (Ubuntu). The buddy brings me his own desktop and I install Ubuntu for him too. A few months later, my original convert stops by to tell me that his buddy is still amazed with his new system. "He keeps telling me how fast his computer is still going and he hasn't gotten one virus." ;)

2. Being tired with my 12 year son constantly bringing me his broken XP-running (oxymoron) netbook, I installed Ubuntu while he was in school. When he came home and powered up his computer, he was like "Hey Dad! What's this "Ubeetoobee" thing on my computer??? LOL. I was like "it's UBUNTU...OO-BOON-TOO"!!! Now he totally likes it. He even asked me to put Unity on his machine like mine.

Rod J
June 7th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I managed to "convert" my young niece to Ubuntu too. Her old laptop was running (crawling, more like) WinXP and had a virus or two. In the process of getting rid of the virus I was using my Partition Magic LiveCD and she liked the look of it and was quite impressed. So I said to her that I could put an even nicer looking Ubuntu desktop on it and she said OK. So I wiped XP and she has been happily using Ubuntu ever since. She's not into computers but is very happy with Ubuntu ... does all she wants it to and is perfectly stable and fast.

Another story is that in the local trailer park here there is an internet kiosk PC which is running Ubuntu 8.04. I'm sure most people don't even realize they are using Linux ... probably think it's some quaint version of Windows, but they have no problems doing basic web surfing and emailing, etc.

aytech
June 7th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I didnt actually convert anyone yet, but every time someone complains about preinstalled Vista or 7, and I start talking about Ubuntu or other distros, they all say "And why do most of the people still use Windows if linux is so good? There must be smth wrong with it", and then say they'd like to keep Windows as it is. Probly I would not make a carreer as evangelist :D

stalkingwolf
June 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
as a rule the only ones i hear from are the ones that still use windows. The ones that i have converted i rarely hear from. When I talk to them and ask i usually get the same answer from them all. Its running fine , i havent had a problem in *******.

armandh
June 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM
the wife loves Ubuntu on her compaq laptop
hates vista, it takes sooooo long B4 she can shop or e-mail
[with everything calling home for updates at the start up]

rg4w
June 7th, 2011, 05:04 PM
The best comment I've heard yet was none at all. My gal mostly uses her Mac, but she likes the small form factor of my Ubuntu-powered EeePC 901, and has enjoyed taking it to school to run her presentations, at cafes to do grading, and recently using Scribus to put together handouts.

She's not exactly a techie, but moving between Mac and Ubuntu has been easy for her. Once in a while she'll complain about how hard it is to do something on her Mac (usually related to Word and its featuritis-laden UI), but narry a peep when she's using Ubuntu - it just works for her.

wolfen69
June 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
"Thank you, I love my computer now!"

Brian0312
June 9th, 2011, 10:27 PM
From my wife:

January, "What's this?"

Last Sunday, "How do I get to Windows, I miss it"

15 mins after that, "how many updates is it going to run?"

10 mins after that, "why am I rebooting again?"

5 mins after that, "All I did was launch Firefox, why is it taking so long to load?"

2 mins after that, "Good God forget this, I just wanted to go on Facebook and it's been 1/2 an hour!"

Sef
June 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Moved to Community Cafe.

dmizer
June 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
A friendly reminder. The topic is this:

Any other awesome quotes like this from friends or family?

Emphasis mine.

fremantle
June 12th, 2011, 10:13 PM
"what is ubuntu?"

IWantFroyo
June 12th, 2011, 10:20 PM

The Toshiba laptop I'm typing this on came with a load of crap. It had a whole bunch of "Toshiba Marketplace" and "Toshiba Bulletin Board" and so on. I don't know how this compares to HP, but Windows did lag when Toshiba's crapware was trying to automatically open.

Also, they included a bunch of ads trying to get me to buy free software like Springpad from their "Marketplace." Seriously?!?!

Also, for some unknown reason, it had multiple web browsers, all with their homepage set to the "Marketplace" or some other Toshiba thing.

As for a quote... I got this over email:
"How do I install my .exe files on here?! IT ISN'T WORKING!!!"

Dustin2128
June 12th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Eh, only ever put xubuntu 8.04 on my grandma's desktop that we had to build ourselves after windows wiped itself after 30 days (told them it would happen, they didn't listen ;)). She enjoys it, works well for her purposes, prints documents and plays solitaire.

steveneddy
June 12th, 2011, 11:52 PM
"That's great, honey, now PLEASE take out the trash!"