PDA

View Full Version : Hi, brand new to Linux

Ceretrea
June 6th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Thought I'd put up an intro post. I apologise in advance for stupid questions, I've a huge learning curve to negotiate. Its all a bit confusing and overwhelming but I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

I have always used some version of Windows. Until a very nasty virus forced a complete reformat using Ubuntu which was recommended to me by family. I am totally new to Linux, the terminal has me quaking in my boots lol I have to say though, as a convert I am very impressed with how easy it is to come into initially, very impressed with how it looks and the increase in performance.

If anyone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide to the basics I'd appreciate it ;) Then I just have to get my head round how to run games in Wine like Oblivion and WoW.

Oh and thank you in advance to anyone with the patience to answer those stupid questions 8-[

el_koraco
June 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download/ubuntupocketguide-v1-1.zip

themarker0
June 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Running things in wine is easy, just visit WineHQ, they usually have instructions, or run perfectly.

Ceretrea
June 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thank you already! That was fast :)

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:50 PM
With Ubuntu you probably wouldn't need to ever use the terminal if you're lucky and everything is working for you.

Gremlinzzz
June 6th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Thought I'd put up an intro post. I apologise in advance for stupid questions, I've a huge learning curve to negotiate. Its all a bit confusing and overwhelming but I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

I have always used some version of Windows. Until a very nasty virus forced a complete reformat using Ubuntu which was recommended to me by family. I am totally new to Linux, the terminal has me quaking in my boots lol I have to say though, as a convert I am very impressed with how easy it is to come into initially, very impressed with how it looks and the increase in performance.

If anyone can point me in the direction of an idiots guide to the basics I'd appreciate it ;) Then I just have to get my head round how to run games in Wine like Oblivion and WoW.

Oh and thank you in advance to anyone with the patience to answer those stupid questions 8-[

If your using Ubuntu 11.04 there's a guide if you press F1 on your keyboard.

Ceretrea
June 6th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi, thank you. I am using 10.10 Maverick Meerkat though, but thank you anyway. I have updated my profile so hopefully it says that now.

Gremlinzzz
June 6th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Hi, thank you. I am using 10.10 Maverick Meerkat though, but thank you anyway. I have updated my profile so hopefully it says that now.

this guide will come in handy
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick

gpost3
June 6th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Your best bet is to pickup this book from your local library see if you can find it. Also it might be available in the form of ebook online:

Beginning Ubuntu Linux: From Novice to Professional by Keir Thomas et. al

My personal take on this book is a solid 4/5 stars. It is very nicely written and good for novices to even intermediates.

Also I recommend you begin by installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bit edition.

Dry Lips
June 6th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Welcome!

Don't be afraid to post threads on this forum if you need help.
I'm rather new to Linux, but I have learned a lot just by hanging
around. There's a lot of really competent people here, and most
on this forum are really friendly as well...

Dustin2128
June 7th, 2011, 12:18 AM

Well if those are the only main games you play, you're in luck. DirectX 9 is 95% (actual figure) reverse engineered by the good people at winehq, and I regularly play both of those games. They both work "out of the box" in wine for me.

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Welcome to Linux,

Or maybe more like welcome to Ubuntu ... At first Windows has confused you to what is "Easy" then as you maintain your new O/S and get use to the new methodology you start to realize ... There is a better way ;)

lulled
June 7th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I'll give you this hint I don't think anyone ever did for a newbie: if you listen to mp3 on your computer, try DeadBeef. Simple, light-weight and has some built-in plugins.:)

jramshu
June 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu Linux!

10.10 is where I came onboard. I did go back to 10.04 LTS, just to try it and it just stuck with me.

Take your time, read the sticky's, have patience. You'll learn faster than you think.
Don't be scared of the terminal, it's really your best friend.

3Miro
June 7th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Don't be afraid of the Terminal, you actually don't have to learn anything about it. If people tell you to run some commands, just use copy/paste and the copy/paste for the result back. Other than that, you don't need it.

Oblivion works great on Nvidia video cards, I don't know about ATI or Intel. I don't play WoW either, but the best place to get help with wine is the winehq database forum. You can just Google "Game_Name winehq" and you will get detailed instructions for running the game.

Thewhistlingwind
June 7th, 2011, 02:36 AM
The terminal syntax is easy once you use it enough.:popcorn:

Trust me, it's the best tool in your arsenal.

Have fun.

IWantFroyo
June 7th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Welcome to all that is Tux!

Don't worry about terminal now. If you'll need to do something in the terminal, there are usually good guides on how to do so, and you probably will be able to copy and paste.

Apps I recommend you should get:

- Back In Time (Software Center)

- GIMP (Software Center)

- Bluefish/Geany- if you're into programming (Software Center)

- Openshot (Software Center)

- Thunderbird- easier to use than Evolution (Software Center)

- MyPaint- if you have kids. They sometimes find programs like these entertaining (Software Center)

- VLC (Software Center)

jramshu
June 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM
Your best bet is to pickup this book from your local library see if you can find it. Also it might be available in the form of ebook online:

Beginning Ubuntu Linux: From Novice to Professional by Keir Thomas et. al

My personal take on this book is a solid 4/5 stars. It is very nicely written and good for novices to even intermediates.

Also I recommend you begin by installing Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32 bit edition.

I was in half-priced books this weekend and found that book for a whopping $15. I couldn't pass it up, actually they had about 10 NEW copies w/disk. I figured it would be a good start for the next convert I find.

skumara
June 7th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I'll give you this hint I don't think anyone ever did for a newbie: if you listen to mp3 on your computer, try DeadBeef. Simple, light-weight and has some built-in plugins.:)

does deadbeef sync with ipod and android phone?

skumara
June 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Don't be afraid of the Terminal, you actually don't have to learn anything about it. If people tell you to run some commands, just use copy/paste and the copy/paste for the result back. Other than that, you don't need it.

you need to be caresull when using rm \ command. To be safe install safe-rm from ubuntu software centre.

Bucky Ball
June 7th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Welcome, enjoy the OS and the learning curve. I was a Windows 'power' user for a long-time. Linux seems a lot more straightforward to me now than Win ever did. Not so many hoops to jump through!

A good tip is: don't look for a Windows experience/clone. Linux gives a different perspective, ideologically and otherwise, on how we use computers. When you shift focus a few degrees from Win thinking to a Linux direction it becomes a little clearer and easier to figure what the OS is about and how it works. Hope that all makes some sense!

Cheers and good luck with it.

linuxforartists
June 7th, 2011, 10:11 AM
When I started with Linux, one of the hardest things was getting used to the names of a lot of open-source programs I had never heard of before.

Linux Alternative Project (http://www.linuxalt.com/) is a good directory of which programs are for what tasks. It lists popular commercial software on the left, and their open-source equivalents on the right.

Someone already mentioned it, but I can't recommend Ubuntu Pocket Guide (http://ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html) enough. I wish I had that years ago, would have saved me a lot of problems.

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Linux Alternative Project (http://www.linuxalt.com/) is a good directory of which programs are for what tasks. It lists popular commercial software on the left, and their open-source equivalents on the right.

Good comment for new users.

I find the biggest jump for new users is to learn the difference of what is "Microsoft" and what is "common usability items"

2 funny comments I remember from converting:

Gary "I just bought my mac but I stick my Photoshop disk into it and I cannot install it ... is my disk broken? It worked on windows."

A: Did not know the software is not compatible on different O/S

Jen "I returned my mac because they kept selling me left handed macs"

A: Assuming because the window controls by default on a mac are on the left of the title bar instead of the right.

Linuxratty
June 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Meerkat here as well. I've used various distros for a number of years after dumping Microsoft.
Really,the learning curve is as not as steep as you have most likely been led to believe...As to the command line,I'm known by my terminal as:"Command not found.":P
I've used this os long enough that Linux is now as normal for me as Windows used to be and the same will happen with you,so just give it some time.
Anyway, I'm a member of several Linux forums and I really like Linux and have found,for the most part,people to be friendly and helpful. So don't be afraid to ask questions and dive in.

murderslastcrow
June 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Wow, that's probably a lot more help than you wanted.

Aside from getting used to the desktop (and customizing it if you wish, since there is a huge art-oriented segment to the community that loves to make themes and all kinds of extra functional things like runners and docks), you should be set. My only suggestion would be not to understimate the quality and breadth of uses open software has to offer, especially on its favorite platform, Linux.

You'd be surprised at what programs you didn't know you really wanted until you have them. We've got an application for everything under the Sun, it seems.

Bucky Ball
June 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
You'd be surprised at what programs you didn't know you really wanted until you have them.

I soon realised what Windows applications I really didn't need until they weren't there!