PDA

View Full Version : Domain name for your primary email addy --

samalex
June 6th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Just curious, how many of you use your own domain name as opposed to using one of the free email providers like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Facebook, etc. I used to host my own email until I moved everything to Gmail in 2004, but I'm seriously thinking of moving back to my own domain name. I might still host it through Google Apps just for the sheer convenience of it, but I'm curious with so many freely available email services how many people still run with their own domain name?

NovaAesa
June 7th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I've never run my own domain name, so it's gmail for me.

tgm4883
June 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Just curious, how many of you use your own domain name as opposed to using one of the free email providers like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, Facebook, etc. I used to host my own email until I moved everything to Gmail in 2004, but I'm seriously thinking of moving back to my own domain name. I might still host it through Google Apps just for the sheer convenience of it, but I'm curious with so many freely available email services how many people still run with their own domain name?

I just recently switched to my own domain name on Google apps. Before that it was a gmail.com address

cariboo
June 7th, 2011, 02:28 AM
I use my own domain name, plus gmail plus email addresses provided by my isp.

Dr. C
June 7th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I have been using my own domain name for well over 10 years. Would not use anything else ISPs Web based email providers etc. I still remember when Microsoft forgot to renew passport.com resulting the the shutdown of hotmail, @home going bankrupt etc.

athenroy
June 7th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Funny, I'm just the opposite of DrC! I use gmail in case the time ever comes when I give up my domain names, at least I'll still have gmail! Not to mention I own about 4 domains and it's just too confusing! BTW Samalex, love your avatar! I had one of the original TRS 80s with the tape recorder storage! What a trip trying to program in Basic! After that, I bought one of the bigger all in one TRS 80s with 2 5.25 floppy drives! Ha, you had to keep the DOS disk in one drive since it didn't have enough memory to load all of DOS at once! Of course, Bill Gates once said he couldn't imagine anyone needing more than 32 M of memory! Those were the days! well, maybe not!

babybean
June 7th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I have gone down the aps on domain route. Is pretty cool having a catch all with the power or google spam filter, nice gmail interface etc.
However I have to say that I would still use my normal gmail address as much. There was a few recent changes which basically made an apps account a full blown google account. So far the 2 different accounts have gone pretty well together, with 2 clicks changing between accounts.

linuxforartists
June 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I use a domain name e-mail with Google Apps for professional stuff, like to give to potential employers and clients. Regular Gmail for my friends and personal contacts.

Having a custom e-mail is pretty cool. Google Apps is great, although they recently lowered the free account from 50 users to 10 users.

Barrucadu
June 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I have my own domain, but email hosted through gmail. However, if gmail ever goes down (not that I see that as particularly likely) I could just set up a mail server and retain the same email addresses.

MechaMechanism
June 7th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I use my own domain and my email is out sourced to a email only company. I only use Google for search.