PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] The arrow keys and the mouse pointer?

cracker89
June 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I was just wondering if there is any program/script/code/trick/way to get the arrow keys to control the mouse pointer and, well basically, the keyboard to do stuff you would do with the mouse..?

And i know about keyboard shortccuts :| :P

P.S.: Anyone wanna go searching for 'The Beach' in thailand? :P :popcorn:

mmad
June 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I was just wondering if there is any program/script/code/trick/way to get the arrow keys to control the mouse pointer and, well basically, the keyboard to do stuff you would do with the mouse..?

And i know about keyboard shortccuts :| :P

P.S.: Anyone wanna go searching for 'The Beach' in thailand? :P :popcorn:

It's simple:

System -> Preferences -> Mouse Keys -> Select pointer can be controlled using the keypad.

(Tested on Ubuntu 11.04 but i distinctly remember doing this on an older version aswell).

cracker89
June 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM
It's simple:

System -> Preferences -> Mouse Keys -> Select pointer can be controlled using the keypad.

(Tested on Ubuntu 11.04 but i distinctly remember doing this on an older version aswell).

Ok.. im on 10.04. I like this way better. And that option isnt there under preferences.. and nor is there any other option under "mouse" which does anything to that effect..

Can I install mouse-keys on 10.04? i'll try anyhow. thanks a bunch. :)

Copper Bezel
June 6th, 2011, 10:33 PM
It's actually System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Mouse Keys (which is a tab). If you're not happy with the resulting behavior, it can be modified (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1724914), but it takes some doing.

mmad
June 6th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Ok.. im on 10.04. I like this way better. And that option isnt there under preferences.. and nor is there any other option under "mouse" which does anything to that effect..

Can I install mouse-keys on 10.04? i'll try anyhow. thanks a bunch. :)

Oooooh apologies, I typed it rather fast ](*,). Well Copper Bezel is indeed correct in his amendment to my previous post :p.

cracker89
June 6th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Aye. Thank ye so much. I'll find the tweaks m'self, albeit it doesnt mean im not gonna be asking... :)

davec64
June 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM
You're all saviours!!!! :)

I've had a problem wih my keyboard for several months where the numbers pad wouldn't work. I've been waiting until I had some spare cash to buy a new keyboard. In the meantime i read this post and thought "perhaps the numbers pad could be used this way".
I opened the corresponding tab only to find that "Select pointer can be controlled using the keypad" was checked. I've unchecked the box and low and behold my numbers pad is working again!

Honest I've not been playing and checked it by mistake, I never even new it was there!

EDIT: hang on a minute, I've got kids, say no more!

Thanks again!

:)

cracker89
June 6th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Honest I've not been playing and checked it by mistake, I never even new it was there!

Lol. Say hi to the kids :P

Glad its all worked out for u... :)