PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gain access to encrypted /home directory?

Dragonbite
June 6th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I had errors pop up when I tried updating my 10.10 to 11.04 so I ended up having to do it from a Live USB which installs it over everything (fine by me).

Unfortunately I forgot I had an encrypted /home directory. So various messages and stuff came up when I tried to log in.

Unfortunately I don't remember what my encryption passphrase is offhand, so I moved it to a slightly different folder name and had to have a new directory created for my username.

It's still there, but how can I try to open it trying the various versions of the passphrase I think it may be? Can I double-click it and try?

Also, in the future what is the best way to handle a "fresh" install that I want to connect to my encrypted /home directory? I like the fact it is seamlessly encrypted, but so far it is a pain for upgrading!

Dragonbite
June 7th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Oh, and don't bother saying "you should write down the passphrase" because that's in my "todo" list for the next time I upgrade.

wildmanne39
June 7th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I had errors pop up when I tried updating my 10.10 to 11.04 so I ended up having to do it from a Live USB which installs it over everything (fine by me).

Unfortunately I forgot I had an encrypted /home directory. So various messages and stuff came up when I tried to log in.

Unfortunately I don't remember what my encryption passphrase is offhand, so I moved it to a slightly different folder name and had to have a new directory created for my username.

It's still there, but how can I try to open it trying the various versions of the passphrase I think it may be? Can I double-click it and try?

Also, in the future what is the best way to handle a "fresh" install that I want to connect to my encrypted /home directory? I like the fact it is seamlessly encrypted, but so far it is a pain for upgrading!Hi, I have a link to this guide it should help you get your files.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory#Live%20CD%20method%20of% 20opening%20a%20encrypted%20home%20directory

Dragonbite
June 7th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hi, I have a link to this guide it should help you get your files.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedPrivateDirectory#Live%20CD%20method%20of% 20opening%20a%20encrypted%20home%20directory

Ahh.. that looks like exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to try it out later! Thanks!

wildmanne39
June 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Ahh.. that looks like exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to try it out later! Thanks!

Hi, your welcome let us know if it works or if you need more help.:)