PDA

View Full Version : A poll to cancel Netflix subscription.

irv
June 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I thought I would start a new thread on Netflix to see where it will go.
I am one that likes Netflix, but am willing to stop my service for the month of August to send a message to Netflix that we Linux users are customer and should be treated like we are.

The month of August is a month that a lot of Netflix customer do not use the service as much because of all the outside activities in this month. So I thought it would be a good time to cancel my subscription for this time period.

If you are a Linux user and subscribe to Netflix are you will to cancel your subscription for this time period? This is why I am posting this a a poll. If we can get a large number to do this maybe they will rethink their stand on supporting us Linux users.

Let see what happens.

oldsoundguy
June 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Because of DRM, you will not see Netflix moving towards Linux support, no matter the "protest" of subscription cancellations.

I have a Sony ON LINE Blu-Ray .. and a 55" LCD .. much prefer watching movies on THAT set up, and it works. (software in the player is Java based.)

irv
June 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Because of DRM, you will not see Netflix moving towards Linux support, no matter the "protest" of subscription cancellations.

I have a Sony ON LINE Blu-Ray .. and a 55" LCD .. much prefer watching movies on THAT set up, and it works. (software in the player is Java based.)

I also have a Roko on a 47" LCD but I watch on my laptop when I am on the road, and would love it it supported Linux.

JDShu
June 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I prefer watching movies on a TV anyway, so my wii is fine.

FuturePilot
June 6th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I'll just leave this here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1756695

aysiu
June 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I do think it'll make a difference, but I won't do it, because I share a Netflix account with my wife, and she wouldn't be cool with cancelling it for a month.

I'm a little annoyed Netflix isn't supporting desktop Linux or most Android phones (http://blog.netflix.com/2011/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html), but I'm still able (without Windows, mind you) to watch it on the Wii, on the PS3, on either of our Macbook Pros, and on our iPad. If Netflix adds support for my Android phone, that'd be great, too.

And I've heard rumors that soon Netflix will be indirectly supporting desktop Linux by making streaming available on Chrome OS (http://liliputing.com/2011/05/netflix-hulu-coming-to-chrome-os.html) (and not Microsoft Silverlight).

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that the selection on streaming is so poor. I would pay more to have everything available for streaming. DVDs are so yesterday.

nrundy
June 6th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I only watch DVD.

What doesn't netflix support on linux exactly?

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I do think it'll make a difference, but I won't do it, because I share a Netflix account with my wife, and she wouldn't be cool with cancelling it for a month.

I'm a little annoyed Netflix isn't supporting desktop Linux or most Android phones (http://blog.netflix.com/2011/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html), but I'm still able (without Windows, mind you) to watch it on the Wii, on the PS3, on either of our Macbook Pros, and on our iPad. If Netflix adds support for my Android phone, that'd be great, too.

And I've heard rumors that soon Netflix will be indirectly supporting desktop Linux by making streaming available on Chrome OS (http://liliputing.com/2011/05/netflix-hulu-coming-to-chrome-os.html) (and not Microsoft Silverlight).

Frankly, I'm more annoyed that the selection on streaming is so poor. I would pay more to have everything available for streaming. DVDs are so yesterday.

+1 to pretty much all of this. I'd love to have everything that was available via DVD available to stream as well. I didn't vote in the above poll since I don't stream Netflix via Windows, I use my Xbox 360. Once the plugin is released I'll plan on using my Mythbuntu box for it providing I can incorporate the Netflix Chrome plugin somehow.

irv
June 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
aysiu I fully understand the wife thing, but just like you I have a Roko box, but I really would like to send Netflix a message that we are paying customers and as such we should get the service we are paying for. When will people wake up and see there are more then just Windows users out here.
This also goes for all the game developers. (even though I don't play game, but my grandkids do).

Simian Man
June 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have 3 devices that are always hooked up to the TV that NetFlix supports. I really don't care that I can't add a fourth. And I don't think this will make a difference. Even if all Linux users cancelled, it would just be noise compared to the total number of Netflix users.

Dustin2128
June 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Watch it through my wii mostly. Not that it matters much, I think they should tackle bigger issues like an actually shrinking selection of content and ISPs trying to kill them. 5 movies and 2 TV series that I used to watch on netflix are now no longer available, indefinitely, and I'm sure many more have gone down the same road.

Simian Man
June 6th, 2011, 07:52 PM
but I really would like to send Netflix a message that we are paying customers and as such we should get the service we are paying for. When will people wake up and see there are more then just Windows users out here.

I find this attitude perplexing. I understand wanting Netflix to support your favorite OS, but they have no moral obligation to. If you aren't happy with their services, just cancel. It's not like it's the only way to watch movies.

Do you think they should also have to support Haiku, Minix, and Plan 9? People use those OS's too.

CharlesA
June 6th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Same. I've had a few movies/tv shows be dvd only or missing episodes from steaming.

I'm just happy that they have some stuff that I haven't seen in a while. Quite nice to not have to track older stuff down. ;)

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM
I find this attitude perplexing. I understand wanting Netflix to support your favorite OS, but they have no moral obligation to. If you aren't happy with their services, just cancel. It's not like it's the only way to watch movies.

Do you think they should also have to support Haiku, Minix, and Plan 9? People use those OS's too.

I agree with this post. It's not like Netflix advertises that it works on all platforms. There is a set list of working configurations that are supported, of which Linux is NOT one of them.

I have a supported platform (Xbox 360) and that is what I use. I'm not planning on canceling to prove a point, I can send a letter for that.

irv
June 6th, 2011, 08:05 PM

I like some of the offerings but have cancelled in the past because of poor quality DVD's. (before streaming). I am still a believer that the customer should come first when you are a service business.

fuduntu
June 6th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I don't really care since it I normally only use it on my PS3.

irv
June 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea! I am out numbered 7 to 1. Am I the only one that feels service run business' should try to service all there customs needs not just some.

The problem I have is that I can use the service at home but not on the road unless I want to fork out more money to buy an OS I don't like and don't want to use just to run Netflix.

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Maybe this wasn't such a good idea! I am out numbered 7 to 1. Am I the only one that feels service run business' should try to service all there customs needs not just some.

The problem I have is that I can use the service at home but not on the road unless I want to fork out more money to buy an OS I don't like and don't want to use just to run Netflix.

That's a straw man argument, of course businesses should all of their customers not just some. But what you don't account for is that they are servicing you, otherwise you wouldn't be their customer. They may not be servicing you to the extent you want them to, but apparently they are servicing enough that we want to stay.

I use netflix streaming on my Xbox 360. I'm not going to demand they support Linux as I feel for the amount of money they charge I am getting my money worth. If you feel you are overpaying for the service, then cancel (which IMHO should be the reason for this, not to prove a point).

I feel that businesses should provide service so that they can be profitable. If they don't see the revenue benefit of a Linux client then they shouldn't make one. And a quick reminder, you can't count all Linux users here. It's only Linux users in the USA (only place Netflix streaming works IIRC) and only users that are not using Netflix but would if they had streaming. IMO thats a pretty small demographic.

irv
June 6th, 2011, 08:54 PM
tgm4883: It's only Linux users in the USA (only place Netflix streaming works IIRC) and only users that are not using Netflix but would if they had streaming. IMO thats a pretty small demographic.

tgm4883 you have a very good point here.

sammiev
June 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I cancelled mine a week a go as I would only watch it well on the road. GL :) Since it don't work with Linux, it was no good to me.

Ghost|BTFH
June 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM
You guys have the right idea, sadly it's like OS2 fans screaming they're going to boycott Microsoft - the dent it will make in their bottom line is nominal.

It'd be about a 1% market flux, if that. This is one of those things that losing a whole percentage point on a multi-million dollar scale equates to the CEO not being able to take the company jet to the Bahamas this weekend and will have to stick to Vegas.

Voting with your dollar is always the right way to go - the trick however is to get people who DON'T USE LINUX to support you by boycotting as well - THAT would actually make a dent.

Not that you'd get them to care, but just saying, if you could...

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

doorknob60
June 6th, 2011, 11:16 PM
No, because I have a Sony TV that can watch it, and a PS3, Wii, and iPod Touch. To be honest, I have never even had the desire to watch it on my computer :P Obviously, if they added Linux support, I would probably use it on occasion, but to me it's not a huge deal. Plus a lot fo the good stuff is only on DVDs by mail, and those work in Linux.

aysiu
June 6th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I have to say I'm shocked that so many people voted it wouldn't make a difference. Money talks. Sure, it'd make an even bigger difference if non-Linux users boycotted, but losing only 1% or 2% of your users for one month is not something to brag about to your shareholders. It looks bad!

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have to say I'm shocked that so many people voted it wouldn't make a difference. Money talks. Sure, it'd make an even bigger difference if non-Linux users boycotted, but losing only 1% or 2% of your users for one month is not something to brag about to your shareholders. It looks bad!

I have to disagree here. 1%-2% is likely within reasonable market fluctuation. On top of that, to get to that number 1%-2% of Netflix customers would need to be Linux users and every single one of us would have to cancel, something I don't think is happening.

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
I am not sure I want to send a message to a company who offers such a great product at a low price.

I think they have tried very hard to get the application on as many devices as possible.

radar920
June 7th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Nope, i rarely watch a movie from netflix on my computer(windows), i use my son's wii and watch on the tv. I don't travel or anything so no use for mobile netflix. If i did however i would be screwed as my laptop is linux only.

dniMretsaM
June 7th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I voted other, here's why:

I don't have a Netflix account, my parents do (I'm 15). I know for a fact that they won't be cool with cancelling it for a month. It's sad, but true. However, if I did have my own account, I would cancel it. I believe it will make a difference. Obviously it won't hurt them financially, but it would send a message that we want what we pay for. I also think it would be good to maybe send an email to Netflix explaining WHY you are stopping the service. That would add to the affect. So IMNSHO, I'm all for people cancelling for the month of August. I encourage every Linux user (and the users of other unsupported devices like some Android phones) to take part in this. Let them know that we're unhappy. If we yell loud enough, they're bound to get the message eventually.

fuduntu
June 7th, 2011, 04:07 AM

It probably wouldn't even be noticed. There is no guarantee that it would be 2% or even 1% of their users, realistically it would be more like 1% of 1%.

The "Linux Desktop" market share figures are already pretty well overinflated, but only a fraction (of this fraction of users) would likely participate.

irv
June 7th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I voted other, here's why:

I don't have a Netflix account, my parents do (I'm 15). I know for a fact that they won't be cool with cancelling it for a month. It's sad, but true. However, if I did have my own account, I would cancel it. I believe it will make a difference. Obviously it won't hurt them financially, but it would send a message that we want what we pay for. I also think it would be good to maybe send an email to Netflix explaining WHY you are stopping the service. That would add to the affect. So IMNSHO, I'm all for people cancelling for the month of August. I encourage every Linux user (and the users of other unsupported devices like some Android phones) to take part in this. Let them know that we're unhappy. If we yell loud enough, they're bound to get the message eventually.
I was impressed with your post and for a 15 year old. I would love to send them an email, but the only way to contact them is by phone. (And I have called them many time asking them to please support Linux, but it is just falling on deft ears. They have a way to post if you have problems with videos but no email address. If they did they might get bomb bared with email from Linux users.

uRock
June 7th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I view Netflix via the Wii. I don't use my PCs for watching movies, so I am not bothered by what OSes it works on anymore.

The only reason I think it won't matter is I doubt their staff will note the reason for terminating the account for their higher management to realize there is a correlation to the madness. I wouldn't be surprised if they smartened up and created a reinstatement fee for everyone reopening their accounts in September.

Bandit
June 7th, 2011, 04:28 AM
I voted other..

Other in the fact that "No I will not cancel my subscription" because I knew there was no Linux support, but being that most TVs are starting to support it built in and I have a Wii for streaming. I dont complain.

themarker0
June 7th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Even if they wanted too, which i am sure they do, since its a large market, (HTPCs) they can't, why waste it?

conradin
June 7th, 2011, 05:10 AM
I make sure to call them once a month and tell them I would love to pay for their service, but I need native OS support. I'll launch another free trial and cancel it in august.

oldsoundguy
June 8th, 2011, 12:22 AM
something to pump into your brain. Best figures have Linux users at a total of 1 1/2% of all computer users.
Hence .. not even a drop in the bucket for potential sales when you factor in all of the net ready devices out there that ARE compatible. If YOU owned the company, would you toss a lot of bucks into such a small pool of potential users? Not if you are a practical business person!

Macskeeball
June 8th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I also have a Roko [...]

It's Roku (pronounced row-kew).

kevdog
June 8th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I've never used Netflix and I am content and happy. Yes life goes on quite well without it!

HappinessNow
June 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I'm a little annoyed Netflix isn't supporting desktop Linux or most Android phones (http://blog.netflix.com/2011/05/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html), but I'm still able (without Windows, mind you) to watch it on the Wii, on the PS3, on either of our Macbook Pros, and on our iPad. If Netflix adds support for my Android phone, that'd be great, too.fortunately Netflix runs on my Nexus One, love to watch Shawn the Sheep on it.

And I've heard rumors that soon Netflix will be indirectly supporting desktop Linux by making streaming available on Chrome OS (http://liliputing.com/2011/05/netflix-hulu-coming-to-chrome-os.html) (and not Microsoft Silverlight).Not merely a rumor, Google has been working hard with Netflix to have Netflix running on Chrome OS before or by the June 15th release of the new consumer Chromebooks

With that said I do find netflix obsolete with Amazon Prime and Zediva which both work on Linux now.

FunkyRes
June 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM

It wouldn't make a difference.
Linux is a very small market share, and an even smaller percentage have any desire to watch it on their linux box.

I use a wii. It works well. I don't watch TV or movies from Linux. Ever. I don't care that they don't support Linux.

Even if they did support Linux, it would almost certainly be a closed source binary, and I would not install it anyway. Only way I might install it would be if it was a GStreamer plugin and bundled with fluendo.

irv
June 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM
It's Roku (pronounced row-kew).

Your guess is as good as mine. I will go with row-kew. or row-koo.

tgm4883
June 8th, 2011, 09:22 PM

Not that how you pronounce it really matters, but according to the wikipedia it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Roku (pronounced "roh koo")

Wikipedia references a post where someone called them to see how they answered the phone here
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=73832&sid=7cc2398f34d420adebf84b9deedd1cef#p73832

LowSky
June 8th, 2011, 09:40 PM
my droid inc get netflix, my ps3 gets netflix... so I really don't need it on my pc which can use hulu and amazon prime.

I was actually thinking of dumping Netflix for amazon prime entirely

Macskeeball
June 9th, 2011, 12:27 AM
It wouldn't make a difference.
Linux is a very small market share, and an even smaller percentage have any desire to watch it on their linux box.

I use a wii. It works well. I don't watch TV or movies from Linux. Ever. I don't care that they don't support Linux.

Even if they did support Linux, it would almost certainly be a closed source binary, and I would not install it anyway. Only way I might install it would be if it was a GStreamer plugin and bundled with fluendo.

Well hello there, FunkyRes! :)

I wasn't guessing. I listen to a lot of tech podcasts from journalists who attend the trade shows and visit the booths of these companies. Row-koo is a different way to write the same pronunciation I was giving. I was just trying to make it clear that it's not rock-you.

irv
June 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Well hello there, FunkyRes! :)

I wasn't guessing. I listen to a lot of tech podcasts from journalists who attend the trade shows and visit the booths of these companies. Row-koo is a different way to write the same pronunciation I was giving. I was just trying to make it clear that it's not rock-you.

What's the difference? I am not speaking here I'm writing and it is spelled "ROKU" http://www.roku.com/

Macskeeball
June 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM
What's the difference? I am not speaking here I'm writing and it is spelled "ROKU" http://www.roku.com/

The pronunciation part wasn't for here. It was for real life. Originally you thought it was "Roko," so your pronunciation must have ben a little off as well. Here's the difference (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3629205/Roku.mp3).