PDA

View Full Version : [other] eCommerce Suggestions

geidorei
June 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Hi

All my PC's bar one are now running Ubuntu - applause please! lol

Right then - at present I produce ecommerce sites using Actinic (without doubt the best commercial ecommerce solution for Windows), and occasionally Zen Cart (offshoot of oscommerce), albeit a complete nightmare compared with Actinic.

Can anybody suggest any linux based shopping carts, other than Zen Cart or oscommerce? Either paid for or free.

Thanks folks, Karl.

Maheriano
June 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
None of them are Linux based, it's just PHP. I don't understand your question.

geidorei
June 6th, 2011, 07:23 PM
ahha - good point. lol

ecommerce software that in non windows dependent, thats what I should have said - ie setup via web browser, or linux based software to setup, design etc (ie like Actinic but an ecommerce program for linux).

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 6th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Did you also post your question to the http://community.actinic.com/ ???

Maheriano
June 6th, 2011, 11:25 PM
What's wrong with OSCommerce?

geidorei
June 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
What's wrong with OSCommerce?

Well, I have used Oscommerce in the past but moved onto Zen Cart, as you are probably aware after the 'split off', no major work has been done with Oscommerce for over two years. So, the talk is 'is it going to last'. Good question, unless development restarts designers will and are migrating away.

The bonus with Oscommerce and Zen Cart is that they are free which is awesome. However, the work involved in changing the design, adding products, adding links and pages etc is considerably long compared Actinic. eg A product, say a T-shirt with choices such as colour and size, copy and paste, change title and description, done. Seconds. Oscommerce etc takes significantly longer as you cant copy and paste a product. Thus, albeit Actinic costs money, an ecommerce site can be very quickly setup. I can setup a site with 500 products (images ready), top level pages such as index, about us etc, and making it look groovy as well, within 3-5 days. I could not do that with OSC or ZC, at least 2 possibly 3 weeks work.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Oscommerce or Zen Cart, its just that the way things are implemented can be very long winded - its not any ones fault, its historical and things have been bolted on as its been updated.

I was just wondering if there is an alternative to Actinic for linux, but doesn't look like it.

geidorei
June 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Did you also post your question to the http://community.actinic.com/ ???

Hi - yes I have, Actinic do not support nor or planning to release a version for Linux.

Maheriano
June 7th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Well, I have used Oscommerce in the past but moved onto Zen Cart, as you are probably aware after the 'split off', no major work has been done with Oscommerce for over two years. So, the talk is 'is it going to last'. Good question, unless development restarts designers will and are migrating away.

The bonus with Oscommerce and Zen Cart is that they are free which is awesome. However, the work involved in changing the design, adding products, adding links and pages etc is considerably long compared Actinic. eg A product, say a T-shirt with choices such as colour and size, copy and paste, change title and description, done. Seconds. Oscommerce etc takes significantly longer as you cant copy and paste a product. Thus, albeit Actinic costs money, an ecommerce site can be very quickly setup. I can setup a site with 500 products (images ready), top level pages such as index, about us etc, and making it look groovy as well, within 3-5 days. I could not do that with OSC or ZC, at least 2 possibly 3 weeks work.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Oscommerce or Zen Cart, its just that the way things are implemented can be very long winded - its not any ones fault, its historical and things have been bolted on as its been updated.

I was just wondering if there is an alternative to Actinic for linux, but doesn't look like it.

OSCommerce is still actively maintained, they just released version 2.3 and are still working on version 3. There are already contributions for version 3 and an upgrade script is planned for the future.

geidorei
June 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Ahha - thanks for info, not what I was led to believe. I was told that oscommerce is not being developed anymore, obviously incorrect.

Dont really want to go down that route though, as I said earlier, takes too long to get a site setup, what with the constant editing of files when you want to do minor cosmetic work or customisation.