PDA

View Full Version : What's with the #Ubuntu IRC channel?

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I was in the #Ubuntu IRC channel (not sure if it's associated with these forums), and I was giving support for like 3 hours straight to as many people as possible, but as soon as I cracked a joke about Mint (the distro) I had someone come down on me. I don't know if he was a moderator or something. I even explained the joke, and he said I was insulting people.

Basically what I said was that Ubuntu people are made out to be less Linux savvy because it's easier, and Mint is supposed to be easier than Ubuntu so Mint people are useless for help (they got directed from the Mint channel to the Ubuntu channel because no one could help them with gparted). I wasn't serious I was just joking, and I even had an "lol" at the end.

Also, there was one person in there that never spoke up until I told a user to use sudo gedit instead of gksudo gedit to edit a config file (I know the difference, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal, and it was a slip). Then they kept hounding me and acted like it was the worst advice ever to give to a new user!

I got bored because it wasn't very light hearted. If you said anything outside of a question, or giving support you'd get some pseudo mod hounding you.

Kromgol
June 6th, 2011, 09:33 AM
There will always be elitist people looking to crack down on someone for giving a "wrong" answer, and people not understanding jokes.
Shouldn't take it too personal.

The Real Dave
June 6th, 2011, 10:29 AM
The IRC channel can be tricky at times. I used to spend ages there helping who I could. At times it feels like you and maybe one other person are the only people actually helping, and not asking questions or trolling.

Joeb454
June 6th, 2011, 10:36 AM
The #ubuntu channel is not associated with the forums in any way. I've stopped visiting that channel when I'm on IRC nowadays, I found it too difficult to get (and give) support in

ivanovnegro
June 6th, 2011, 10:38 AM
That is bad, maybe a harsh joke, if you say Mint people are useless to help. But I realized IRC channels are like this, too elitist sometimes and if that happens on Ubuntu, says everything about the people that are sitting in the IRC channel.

ivanovnegro
June 6th, 2011, 10:39 AM
The #ubuntu channel is not associated with the forums in any way. I've stopped visiting that channel when I'm on IRC nowadays, I found it too difficult to get (and give) support in

But thats sad, isnt it? Maybe its not connected to the Forums but it is to the Ubuntu community as a whole IMO.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The IRC channel can be tricky at times. I used to spend ages there helping who I could. At times it feels like you and maybe one other person are the only people actually helping, and not asking questions or trolling.

That's exactly how I felt with being one of 2 or 3 people offering help and people appreciate it, but a little lighthearted crack at a Linux distro (very nerdy by the way) and the mods have pull up their stirrups and pretend like they're actually doing something.

Seriously?

I have an idea for a comic now...

Aquix
June 6th, 2011, 10:48 AM
If it's on the freenodes then the same thing has happened to me. I gave "advice" that was clearly "throw the pc out the window" wrong and got a lecture. Thats why I never go back there. And if I need support I just pick the room of another distro and ask there instead, but mostly the forums and searches help me out.

s.fox
June 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I am on IRC a lot and I avoid that channel as a rule. It is difficult to give support in because it is so busy. I am, however, usually in the forums channel.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I am on IRC a lot and I avoid that channel as a rule. It is difficult to give support in because it is so busy. I am, however, usually in the forums channel.

The problem is that people associate the the Ubuntu channel with the forums and then they're not greeted with the same patience and kindness. Although, there are some people who are rude when they question doesn't get answered, and I've made the mistake of getting up and making a cup of tea while giving someone help and then they open up that private chat thing with me and I have a page half filled with more questions, and ordering me around.

It has happened once though, but even once is far too many times for something like that to happen. I'm not tech support!

lucazade
June 6th, 2011, 11:44 AM
[08:31] <Legendary_Bibo> damn mint people. They're useless

:shock:

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/06/06/%23ubuntu.txt

Aquix
June 6th, 2011, 12:06 PM

:shock:

Since it seems like your posting from the log, do you mind posting the whole conversation?

Context is a funny little thing.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Made a comic about it. Obviously I exaggerated some things, but I made it at 3am and I'm missing my bed right about now, and it's 6am

Here (http://legendarybibo.blogspot.com/2011/06/irc_06.html)

Thewhistlingwind
June 6th, 2011, 03:05 PM
That comic just actually made me LOL.

It's funny because most of the people who maintain IRC's are totally like that............

(Cue someone with a red name "HEEY!!!! I'm a mod on one of thosse IRC's1111)

cgroza
June 6th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I got a lecture because of suggesting Puppy to restore GRUB.

babybean
June 6th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Lots of stuff left out here

[06:33] <Jordan_U> DW-drew: Yes, nmcli.(Last post from Jordan_U before all this.)
[08:00] <Legendary_Bibo> EastDallas is butthurt (Not sure if this is what is referred to later but it is the only remotely insulting thing I can find.)
[08:31] <Jordan_U> !mint | june
[08:32] <Legendary_Bibo> shut up ubottu
[08:33] <Jordan_U> Legendary_Bibo: Please stop insulting people and groups (and I am not reffering to your comment about ubottu).
[08:33] <Legendary_Bibo> ubottu is a bot. It has no feelings
[08:33] <ubottu> Legendary_Bibo: I am only a bot, please don't think I'm intelligent :)
[08:34] <Jordan_U> Legendary_Bibo: Exactly, which is why I was *not* reffering to your comment about ubottu but rather your comments about "mint people" and EastDallas.

It defiantly seems inappropriate for someone who had not taken part in the discussion for a couple of hours to be telling you of. Dont let it put you off :P

Oxwivi
June 6th, 2011, 06:25 PM
lolwut? Do they have bots running scanning for insulting words so they suddenly come alive and do something?

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I wasn't serious I was just joking, and I even had an "lol" at the end.

You're nothing but an ignorant, smelly, unintelligent, low-life scum. Lol.

See what I mean? ;)

Oxwivi
June 6th, 2011, 06:35 PM

See what I mean? ;)
That's a good point, but this that are on completely different levels.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:45 PM

It defiantly seems inappropriate for someone who had not taken part in the discussion for a couple of hours to be telling you of. Dont let it put you off :P

Okay the butthurt thing was because him and someone else were arguing about data recovery on hard drives or something, and then he just left suddenly when he lost the argument.

Oh wow I must have hurt his feelings considering he wasn't even in there :P

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:47 PM

See what I mean? ;)

I do.

I'm going to be sticking to the forum channel from now on. I didn't know we had one. I kind of figured the forums and the regular Ubuntu channel were closely tied.

Dustin2128
June 7th, 2011, 12:10 AM
I do.

I'm going to be sticking to the forum channel from now on. I didn't know we had one. I kind of figured the forums and the regular Ubuntu channel were closely tied.
That was pretty bad, but not as bad as the guy who was banned for 96 hours for uknowingly giving bad advice, then at the end of the 96 hours after asking to be unbanned, getting banned for an additional month for no reason other than he was going on vacation. Those kinds of people should be fired into the sun...

Legendary_Bibo
June 7th, 2011, 12:40 AM
That was pretty bad, but not as bad as the guy who was banned for 96 hours for uknowingly giving bad advice, then at the end of the 96 hours after asking to be unbanned, getting banned for an additional month for no reason other than he was going on vacation. Those kinds of people should be fired into the sun...

You mean the uptight mods on there?

kevdog
June 8th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Maybe I'm the only one but I've had ok experiences on #ubuntu. A totally different format. I get the impression people over there visit the forums on a limited basis. Probably this relationship goes both ways. I guess I'm weird.

Random_Dude
June 8th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I'm going to be sticking to the forum channel from now on. I didn't know we had one.

Neither did I. :-o
I'll probably drop by sometimes, there's way too many people talking on ubuntu channel at he same time.

By the way, is there any advantage in doing gksudo instead of sudo? I've been doing sudo all the time xD.

Thewhistlingwind
June 8th, 2011, 09:54 AM
By the way, is there any advantage in doing gksudo instead of sudo? I've been doing sudo all the time xD.

Uh, the graphics?

It's just sudo for GUI programs..............

Random_Dude
June 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Uh, the graphics?

No, really, it's just sudo for GUI programs..............

When I have to launch a GUI program from the terminal, I use sudo. I've launched synaptic using sudo.
I don't see the problem...

Is there a security reason for doing gksudo, or is it the same?

Paqman
June 8th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Tbh, I've very rarely bothered with IRC channels. Really bad signal-to-noise ratio. They're not a very effective communication tool at all IMO.

Paqman
June 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
When I have to launch a GUI program from the terminal, I use sudo. I've launched synaptic using sudo.
I don't see the problem...

It's related to whose profile gets used. You should use gksudo or gksu for all graphical apps.

More detail (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo)

el_koraco
June 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM

For graphical applications, sudo puts you on your /home/username path with root privileges. gksudo puts you on /root path. When using sudo, you can mess up permissions in your user acount, which, in extreme cases, might lead to being locked out of your account.

Random_Dude
June 8th, 2011, 10:32 AM
For graphical applications, sudo puts you on your /home/username path with root privileges. gksudo puts you on /root path. When using sudo, you can mess up permissions in your user acount, which, in extreme cases, might lead to being locked out of your account.

Thanks. ;)
I'll think I'll be more careful from now on.

Cheers :cool:

HappinessNow
June 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I got a lecture because of suggesting Puppy to restore GRUB.That's crazy, Puppy is an excellent tool for this

Grenage
June 8th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Tbh, I've very rarely bothered with IRC channels. Really bad signal-to-noise ratio. They're not a very effective communication tool at all IMO.

IRC is great, and was my tool of choice for years; you're supposed to use private chats for 'one on one' talks. These days I find forums to be more useful, simply because I'm not always at a PC.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I was in the #Ubuntu IRC channel (not sure if it's associated with these forums), and I was giving support for like 3 hours straight to as many people as possible, but as soon as I cracked a joke about Mint (the distro) I had someone come down on me. I don't know if he was a moderator or something. I even explained the joke, and he said I was insulting people.

Basically what I said was that Ubuntu people are made out to be less Linux savvy because it's easier, and Mint is supposed to be easier than Ubuntu so Mint people are useless for help (they got directed from the Mint channel to the Ubuntu channel because no one could help them with gparted). I wasn't serious I was just joking, and I even had an "lol" at the end.

Also, there was one person in there that never spoke up until I told a user to use sudo gedit instead of gksudo gedit to edit a config file (I know the difference, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal, and it was a slip). Then they kept hounding me and acted like it was the worst advice ever to give to a new user!

I got bored because it wasn't very light hearted. If you said anything outside of a question, or giving support you'd get some pseudo mod hounding you.

You should have stuck around, they were just get getting started . BTW , to the best of my knowledge, the children who run the ubuntu channel and the ubuntu-ops channel where you go if you are unaware that complaints about poor treatment at #ubuntu are a guarantee of being insulted and then banned are somehow associated with the 'official' ubuntu community and therefore Canonical.

I have in the past gone there for help with ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Mint and no real problems. I have had a nightmare with java on natty and lucid so I installed Mint 11 hoping it would work out of the box.
Today I found out the linuxmint-help channel on Spotchat was down {java does not work in Mint either} so I went to Ubuntu. One of them pretented to make a half hearted gesture, told me he used sun java and it worked fine and having multiple java's was a great idea. Apparently he knew more than the idiots at java who wrote the program , how else could he have climed all the way up the coprorate later to the position of part time volunteer flunkie on irc. there is no pay but the benefits are huge!. Where else can you jerk people around , call them liars and then just turn them off?

They kept claiming I refused to stop asking for help about Mint and then lied about doing so. I have the transcripts as well as they and we both know all I did was use the word Mint to explain why I needed help with ubuntu . I have 6 ubuntu installs on my machine and I offered to show them the fdisk of it but they are Gnostic and already KNOW I am lying so why confuse the issue with the facts?
My mistake was not knowing the amazing hatred these clowns possess . hatred over their supposed superiority . As if being able to use an operating sytem better than someone else makes you more evolved or something.

They kept trying to get me to say I was lying and that the misunderstanding was my fault. These guys are truly brilliant, it was my misunderstanding therefore I am a liar? Over and over they tried to get me to kowtow over the threat of being banned from the pleaure of their company? They are straight out of a comic book , a cheap one. I told them that to sell my honor, even in exchange for my life , would make me something I am not, a prostitute. Really? Are there many young people really so devoid of integrity these days they think it a small thing to sell theirs for something as insignificant as being able to log into an irc channel. ?
I told them it was obvious they were trying to get me to sell out so they could justify their own prostitution and that is when they got mad and banned me.

I have a little computer repair shop and I load Linux into lots of machines but more often than not the fear is you have to be a person like they are {the ops} to use it . They are being cheated, Bill Gates should be paying them for turning people against Ubuntu.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:17 PM
fired into the sun? That;s funny!

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:24 PM

would this , from a moderator whose buddies will lie for said this put you off?

" YOU (frankcox757) have been booted from #ubuntu (irc://freenode/%23ubuntu) by oCean (don't lie)

They are dragging Linux through the mud and somewhat justifying the common belief only hateful , arrogant geeks use it who consider anyone else less than a dog.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:31 PM
But thats sad, isnt it? Maybe its not connected to the Forums but it is to the Ubuntu community as a whole IMO.

It is directly connected to the community , to the group that writes the help files and I believe in some way to Conical itself. They are running amok and every last one of them should be run off.

Dustin2128
June 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM
You mean the uptight mods on there?
Yeah...

christopher.wortman
June 27th, 2011, 12:00 AM

That is exactly why I tend to use distros that don't use sudoers, it was never coded right to begin with. I use old root and user. You can't mess much up there, log into root, install your applications, then use user and never have to worry about it again. If something needs su or root privelages, it simply pops up a box asking for a password.

What I don't understand is, how if someone is experienced enough to get and configure an irc client and join an irc channel, wouldn't it be easier to just use google. 99% of the support questions I simply put into google, and it came up with an answer. It isn't laziness because google is, at least for me, lazier than asking and hounding others for answers. Do they think they would get a better answer than google, or in the forums?

Dustin2128
June 27th, 2011, 12:11 AM
That is exactly why I tend to use distros that don't use sudoers, it was never coded right to begin with. I use old root and user. You can't mess much up there, log into root, install your applications, then use user and never have to worry about it again. If something needs su or root privelages, it simply pops up a box asking for a password.

What I don't understand is, how if someone is experienced enough to get and configure an irc client and join an irc channel, wouldn't it be easier to just use google. 99% of the support questions I simply put into google, and it came up with an answer. It isn't laziness because google is, at least for me, lazier than asking and hounding others for answers. Do they think they would get a better answer than google, or in the forums?
Damn straight. Sudo, pfft, it's a tool of the noob! Real men use su!

christopher.wortman
June 27th, 2011, 12:18 AM
But yeah I got banned from #Ubuntu-Offtopic for somehow being too off-topic. I didn't cuss, nor did I insult anyone. I cracked a joke about Ubuntu and said I loved Gentoo. I use Ubuntu on an older machine and my main one (from which I type now) is Gentoo. Somehow this was grounds for permanent ban. Sure I *could* change my IP, and handle but why would I ever go back into the room. There is no style, no humor, dry and stuffy. I offer help in #Ubuntu when I can, but it seems that more often or not, you have people in there who will avidly try to stand me up with the wrong answer. When the person being helped doesn't seem to be getting anywhere I will pipe in and say well if you try it my way it will most likely work.

I have a lot of experience with computers, and people. I have around 15 or so years, been through every version of Windows, and have used Linux avidly since 2003 or so. I know a little bit to say the least. Kid comes in and nothing wants to mount properly from the USB. No error code or anything. Out of gut feeling I tell the kid to unplug his printer. Suddenly the USB ports light up like a Christmas tree. I tell him that just because he has 9 USB ports doesn't mean he can use them all, that he was overloading them. I got about 4 people jump all over me about being wrong. They get really vehement about it, and tell him to do more useless junk like clearing cache of the printer, or checking to make sure that everything was working as it should, yadda yadda... I tell him that he needs to lighten up on using so many devices or he is going to pull too much power through the ports and could possibly burn out the USB chip. Someone asked me if I used Windows, I told him I had it installed on another computer in the house and then somehow I don't know jack, I was trying to spread FUD and then booted and banned from the room.

That was the final time I ever went in there.

christopher.wortman
June 27th, 2011, 12:26 AM
You think thats bad, try the #gentoo rooms XD I mean they are the worst of all the communities. talk about elitist. I love the distro, but can't stand the IRC room for it. The forums are ok though a lot like this one where people seem to get along with everyone. I just find a lot of people in IRC have no life other than to kick/ban you and make you feel like less than a person for not knowing something.

frank cox
June 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM
There is a limit on how many USB devices you can use at once but I have never had a problem using external ports with their own power supply.
The only reason I went to #ubuntu is that no one here seemed to be able to help me with Java. Not because they did not try , all I can guess is we just are not communicating.

Legendary_Bibo
June 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
There is a limit on how many USB devices you can use at once but I have never had a problem using external ports with their own power supply.
The only reason I went to #ubuntu is that no one here seemed to be able to help me with Java. Not because they did not try , all I can guess is we just are not communicating.

The java repo keeps going down. It's up on some occasions (I was lucky it was up for a bit when I had to get java for my minecraft server), but it keeps going down.

Thewhistlingwind
June 27th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I love IRC, sadly, a lot of channels are run by fickle six year old children.

Arthur_D
June 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
If you need support with a specific program, skip the distro channels and go right upstream to the project channel. The devs are often happy to give good, meaningful replies to you, and my experiences have been very positive. Just be a little patient and wait for them to reply; they have other stuff to do of course.

frank cox
June 27th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Actually lots of people run OS X on a pc {I am lying -only psychotic geeks do this} .
It is a lot of fun to set up! {I am lying about that } but it works great if done properly. {actually it does work very well IF done properly!}
There is a distro of OS X called Kalyway. The best method is to put Kalyway OS X on a separate drive {unless you are a masochist of course] but you at least have to create at separate partition for it of at least 9 gb. It overwrites the mbr btw.
The fun part is the drivers {I am lying again, bad habit] . You have to determine if the hardware is Mac compatible and install the drivers manually . In other words there is no automatic hardware detection and you have to know all the specifics of the hardware such as video card memory, chip set , sound card, basically everything and type them into add hardware. Sounds like a no-brainer huh?
If you actually get it all done during the same decade and keep very accurate records so you can repeat the process you could probably make a living doing doing this for others . . If that does not work our the notes will come in quite handy when your hard drives dies and you have to re-install.

Four of ten people who try this fly to Oregon for doctor assisted suicide and 5.999 % of the rest use a home remedy such as lead poisoning from a Colt 45 or or an overdose of Extra Strength Dammitaal . The remaining .001 % who actually got it done have a very high tolerance for Extra Strength Damitall or they never would have completed the task in the first place.

Note: Information above is possibly as far off as off is. Do not attempt this install without consulting a cardiologist , a psychiatrist, your commodities broker for the market price of Extra Srength Dammitaal , and a one way tickets to Oregon or Belgium.

Hope this helps!

If you found this tutorial useful you are probably willing to have a large sum of unmarked currency in 10;s and 20's delivered by a brown shoed square in the dead of night to:

Installation Impossible
1222 Stress Blvd.
Fast Buck Nevada 987623-0098

frank cox
June 27th, 2011, 05:26 PM
If you need support with a specific program, skip the distro channels and go right upstream to the project channel. The devs are often happy to give good, meaningful replies to you, and my experiences have been very positive. Just be a little patient and wait for them to reply; they have other stuff to do of course.

Thanks!

oldos2er
June 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I go on freenode's ubuntu channel maybe once a month. No offense to the mods there, but some of them behave an awful lot like bots, with canned responses to certain trigger words.

mips
June 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM

Ssshhh!

frank cox
June 28th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Bots are smarter than that.

MonolithImmortal
June 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Actually lots of people run OS X on a pc {I am lying -only psychotic geeks do this} .
It is a lot of fun to set up! {I am lying about that } but it works great if done properly. {actually it does work very well IF done properly!}
There is a distro of OS X called Kalyway. The best method is to put Kalyway OS X on a separate drive {unless you are a masochist of course] but you at least have to create at separate partition for it of at least 9 gb. It overwrites the mbr btw.
The fun part is the drivers {I am lying again, bad habit] . You have to determine if the hardware is Mac compatible and install the drivers manually . In other words there is no automatic hardware detection and you have to know all the specifics of the hardware such as video card memory, chip set , sound card, basically everything and type them into add hardware. Sounds like a no-brainer huh?
If you actually get it all done during the same decade and keep very accurate records so you can repeat the process you could probably make a living doing doing this for others . . If that does not work our the notes will come in quite handy when your hard drives dies and you have to re-install.

Four of ten people who try this fly to Oregon for doctor assisted suicide and 5.999 % of the rest use a home remedy such as lead poisoning from a Colt 45 or or an overdose of Extra Strength Dammitaal . The remaining .001 % who actually got it done have a very high tolerance for Extra Strength Damitall or they never would have completed the task in the first place.

Note: Information above is possibly as far off as off is. Do not attempt this install without consulting a cardiologist , a psychiatrist, your commodities broker for the market price of Extra Srength Dammitaal , and a one way tickets to Oregon or Belgium.

Hope this helps!

If you found this tutorial useful you are probably willing to have a large sum of unmarked currency in 10;s and 20's delivered by a brown shoed square in the dead of night to:

Installation Impossible
1222 Stress Blvd.
Fast Buck Nevada 987623-0098
Wut...