PDA

View Full Version : Just won round trip ticket to Cali

ki4jgt
June 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Just won round trip ticket to california. Have no job. The ticket is non transferable. Have no money. Have to be used during Nov 26 - December 26. Don't want to go alone. Have any ideas?

nmccrina
June 6th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I'll take it! :p

Edit: Just saw the non-transferable part, lol.

Do you have any family or friends in California? You could visit them.

I was talking to someone recently who was gushing about how awesome California was, and how everyone was very helpful and friendly. She said one of her friends in pretty much the same situation as you was able to live with people she met while there. Granted, you would probably have to be really outgoing yourself to make that work (I probably wouldn't be able to manage that), but apparently it is very possible.

ki4jgt
June 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
I'll take it! :p

Edit: Just saw the non-transferable part, lol.

Do you have any family or friends in California? You could visit them.

I was talking to someone recently who was gushing about how awesome California was, and how everyone was very helpful and friendly. She said one of her friends in pretty much the same situation as you was able to live with people she met while there. Granted, you would probably have to be really outgoing yourself to make that work (I probably wouldn't be able to manage that), but apparently it is very possible.

I [supposedly] have connections all over the world, due to certain activities I was involved in when I was younger, but I've never actually ever had to try these connections out in person. As for friends/relatives, nope. Nadda.

tapi0n
June 6th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I [supposedly] have connections all over the world, due to certain activities I was involved in when I was younger
You can admit you're a gamer. You shall not be judged here ;)
On topic, even if I knew noone there I'd go for it man. Never know what might happen or what you'll see

ki4jgt
June 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
You can admit you're a gamer. You shall not be judged here ;)
On topic, even if I knew noone there I'd go for it man. Never know what might happen or what you'll see

Not a gamer LOL (Got involved in a lot of groups who have chapters here and there.), but thanks for the advice. I'm really considering going, I want to see the sights and feel the breeze, not to mention the ocean :-)

Irihapeti
June 6th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Not a gamer LOL (Got involved in a lot of groups who have chapters here and there.)

It wouldn't be to do with your forum name, would it?

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Go the right time of year, take a swag (as we say in Australia; something to sleep in) and sleep on the beach! Sure you'll meet people there on a warm night. Never been to California but sounds like it gets warm. ;)

ki4jgt
June 6th, 2011, 08:52 AM
It wouldn't be to do with your forum name, would it?

partially. . . I'm sure some hams wouldn't mind taking me in, but it's not what I was meaning. I've been involved in different cultures since I was in ES (Elementary School) From German, Spanish, and church based groups to more recently, Esperanto. Esperantists alone are known for their great hospitality to other Esperantists. (or so I've been told) This is what's meant by I've never actually tried those connections. :-) I'm still learning Esperanto, but in the days I've learned other languages, I've made a few friends here and there.

LowSky
June 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
worth checking out

http://www.couchsurfing.org/

mips
June 6th, 2011, 02:15 PM
If you do eventually go and decide to visit SF be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ;)

SoFl W
June 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Just won round trip ticket to California. ... Have no money.
Neither does California.

I was talking to someone recently who was gushing about how awesome California was,
She's not paying attention is she?

ki4jgt
June 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If you do eventually go and decide to visit SF be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ;)

???

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'll just go with you and pay for your way. But only if you give me about $10,000 first.

Especially if you visit the Haight-Ashbury district. :)

ki4jgt
June 7th, 2011, 12:07 AM
You guys do know I'm a guy. Right??

Irihapeti
June 7th, 2011, 03:41 AM

Especially if you visit the Haight-Ashbury district. :)

Don't worry, ki4jgt, these guys are just showing their age. (So am I, actually.)

It's a reference to an old hippie song from the late 1960s.

73 de (ex) ZL2QO

Bucky Ball
June 7th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Don't worry, ki4jgt, these guys are just showing their age. (So am I, actually.)

It's a reference to an old hippie song from the late 1960s.

And you can find that song here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=if+you%27re+going+to+san+fran cisco&aq=0

pookiebear
June 7th, 2011, 04:19 AM
couchsurf.
buy a "cast net" when you get there and catch shrimp and boil and eat. trade them for eggs.
go to tijuana during the day and get cheap food. (not really a good idea)
4 hour drive to vegas from L.A. another 1.5 hours to grand canyon.
Live it up.
definitely have some good walking shoes.
And always keep $40 hidden somewhere on your person for emergency cab fare if you end up somewhere you don't want to be after dark.
Get a smarthphone that has wifi like an old iphone. Even if it doesn't have cell coverage you can take pictures with it and surf the net at wifi hotspots and update this thread. or call 911
You could make it a game and see how long you can make it without dipping into any money reserves. Barter!

If you need a little spending money become a guide for chacha the texting service. You research and answer questions sent in by people via text messages for 10 cents a piece on your computer. You could probably rack up a little spending money before november.

Good luck and make sure you bump the thread when you get there.

Spr0k3t
June 7th, 2011, 05:31 AM
And you can find that song here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=if+you%27re+going+to+san+fran cisco&aq=0

Best Benassi Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTbd2e2EyTk

Take the trip, enjoy the dreams.

Bucky Ball
June 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Best Benassi Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTbd2e2EyTk

Take the trip, enjoy the dreams.

That's actually a different song to the one the line in question '... be sure to wear a flower in your hair ...' comes from, but what the hey. Still about Cali I guess. ;)

ki4jgt
June 7th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I shall def try to keep you guys updated. Should I upload the photos to this thread? Where can I create a gallery for them (Preferably a third party website)?

mips
June 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM
???

You guys do know I'm a guy. Right??

Shame on you, how can you not know "San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)" by Scott McKenzie :D

For the record, the song came out way before I was born, I'm a child of the 80's. Nothing to do with age as I listen to music going back to the 1700's, you can't beat a good tune irrespective of age ;)

Here's the video for the confused folks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bch1_Ep5M1s

Dry Lips
June 7th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I shall def try to keep you guys updated. Should I upload the photos to this thread? Where can I create a gallery for them (Preferably a third party website)?

Isn't it possible to create an album on this forum? (Think it is, go to your profile,
click "add album".) Or are there perhaps restrictions on how many pictures you can upload?

mips
June 7th, 2011, 05:09 PM
Isn't it possible to create an album on this forum? (Think it is, go to your profile,
click "add album".) Or are there perhaps restrictions on how many pictures you can upload?

I would just use something like ImageShack and link to the photos.
Other options are Picasa Web Albums, Photobucket, Flickr, Zooomr, Fotki etc.
List of photo sharing websites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo_sharing_websites)

pookiebear
June 7th, 2011, 09:46 PM
yea I think photobucket and flickr have droid and iphone apps to make it easy to post and caption.

I think to make it fun you need a goal though.
Like Dwight from the "Office" tv show did that one show. He started with a paperclip and traded and traded until he had a telescope or something like that.

You need to start with an Ubuntu Sticker and trade it until you get a flying tour of the grand canyon. (which last time I checked was about $200, I would have said a donkey tour but they stopped those a couple of years back) Or maybe a skydiving jump which are about $200 if you don't video it.

Now... make it happen!

earthpigg
June 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
We're big on couch surfing here in the SF Bay Area. I don't have a couch to offer as I only rent a room, but you shouldn't have problems finding a couch to surf on.

You could always toss a shout-out to the SFLUG and Bay Area LUG and Berkeley UUG mailing lists a shot. Shot in the dark, but who knows?

Make sure you visit the World Famous Bushman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Famous_Bushman)!

forrestcupp
June 8th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I think to make it fun you need a goal though.
Like Dwight from the "Office" tv show did that one show. He started with a paperclip and traded and traded until he had a telescope or something like that.That was a great episode. I love how Jim ended up conning him out of his big prize.

I would have said a donkey tour but they stopped those a couple of years back
They still have mule rides down the Grand Canyon. You can get a half day trip for $75. My brother went on one a few years ago. I told him it would be scary. He told me those mules walk those trails every day so he trusts them.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 8th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Read the details of what you have won very carefully.

I have money so I can afford the so-called free trips. They usually cover the flight on the cheapest route to the destination. You may have to change flights going from one airport to another taking up hours because of the indirect route. The free lodging may be a condominium/resort share arrangement where you have to spend time listening to them preform their high-pressure sales pitch to purchase shares in a condominium/resort you can't afford. They may describe the entertainment in the area; however, if you read carefully you will realize that it is not included in the free trip. I had one to Las Vegas and another to Disney World, although the brochure described the entertainment in those areas, none or it was included; however, I knew that but had the money to make the best out of the offer. I also have some basic principals; such as, I will not buy anything when pressured, nor will I buy from someone that contacts me first. I have to contact them first before I consider buying anything from them. I basically got 4 day vacations for half of the price I would have spent if I had paid the whole thing myself. You also have to travel when they offer the trips; which, are usually off-season times when a lot of the things you expect to participate in are not occurring. In your case, winter in sunny California, HAHAHA.

If you are creative, you can make it into a decent vacation. You just need to know what is included in the so-called free trip.

ki4jgt
June 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM
We're big on couch surfing here in the SF Bay Area. I don't have a couch to offer as I only rent a room, but you shouldn't have problems finding a couch to surf on.

You could always toss a shout-out to the SFLUG and Bay Area LUG and Berkeley UUG mailing lists a shot. Shot in the dark, but who knows?

Make sure you visit the World Famous Bushman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Famous_Bushman)!

LOL I'll be sure to try that :-)

Spr0k3t
June 8th, 2011, 03:23 AM
That's actually a different song to the one the line in question '... be sure to wear a flower in your hair ...' comes from, but what the hey. Still about Cali I guess. ;)

My bad, I picked the wrong mix. Someone did mix those two songs together... I just can't find it now. Good mix though.

Macskeeball
June 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Computer History Museum (http://www.computerhistory.org/)

I'm sure there are also other things to go see around Silicon Valley, if you're into that sort of thing.