PDA

View Full Version : The Mrs. is getting curious about Linux

Timmer1240
June 6th, 2011, 04:59 AM
My wifes finally coming around and genuinely interested in Linux now shes starting to see the light she said maybe sometime you could see about setting up Linux on her laptop!I would have to do a duel boot for her in case she panics and wants windows back. I wish I could get a used laptop and throw it on there for her for a test learning machine and she could try it out for a while.Gonna have to look for a cheap laptop!She sees me fixing all these windows boxes all the time and wonders why mine never breaks and seems rock solid!She sees the desktop on mine and thinks it looks cool I got it set up Mac like panel on top seems better up there for me.She used to be pro windows but now the tide is turning!

Dobbie03
June 6th, 2011, 05:23 AM
My wife dual boots Ubuntu and W7. She has uses for both OS's.

Thewhistlingwind
June 6th, 2011, 05:40 AM
I don't have any linux problems until someone else walks into the room.:popcorn:

Dustin2128
June 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I don't have any linux problems until someone else walks into the room.:popcorn:
Yeah, this +9001.

papibe
June 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
@Timmer1240,

How did that happen?
Did you use any 'strategy'?
Was any particular application that caught her attention?

I'm very curious!

Thewhistlingwind
June 6th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Yeah, this +9001.

It's like I'm running Linux on some kind of quantum computer.......

Dustin2128
June 6th, 2011, 05:58 AM
It's like I'm running Linux on some kind of quantum computer.......
:lolflag:
Makes me wonder how that quantum computer that's already shipped is working out. Of course, they can't tell us, or we'll change it....

Dobbie03
June 6th, 2011, 06:00 AM
My wife was sceptical about Ubuntu because my old computer used to crash a lot, she didn't understand that the hard disc was on it's last legs. Since my upgrade I haven't had one single glitch, that seems to have turned her.

speedwell68
June 6th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Mine uses whatever I put on the desktop or netbook, Windows confuses her.

TNT1
June 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
mine uses whatever i put on the desktop or netbook, windows confuses her.

+1

blueturtl
June 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
The Mrs. and I have an understanding: until she can maintain her own Windows desktop, Debian it is.

Not that she has anything against this arrangement.

nothingspecial
June 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Time to resurect an old thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930865

matt_symes
June 6th, 2011, 11:27 AM

Arrrrrgh. It burns. It burns.

Paqman
June 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM
My wife has Linux on her netbook, which is the machine she uses most of the time. She's got a desktop with Windows for compatibility with her work, and because she likes Photoshop. She gets on just fine with both.

3Miro
June 6th, 2011, 12:57 PM
We used to dual-boot Linux and XP, but wife quickly came over to the penguin side when she saw the price-tag for Vista. That was 3 years ago. She still needs some windows for work, but got VirtualBox setup for her, it is more convenient than dual-boot.

For cheap laptops, you can check craigslist, but be careful to make sure it isn't broken (that can destroy the whole Linux experience on top of wasting your money). Also, make sure it is compatible.

HermanAB
June 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Here is a link for the missus:
http://www.linuxchix.org/

Brian0312
June 6th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I sort of just installed Linux one day and acted like nothing was wrong. When people asked, I just told them that windows was still there, but to give this a try. Eventually it was just accepted. Yesterday my wife asked to go back to windows so I showed her how to pick it in grub (Vista has two partions and if you pick the wrong one, it gets ugly fast).

5 mins went by before she could get on the internet because of all of the updates it decided to run. 5 mins on the internet and the computer was giving error messages because Vista had yet again corrupted a mission critical file. 30 seconds later she was back in Ubuntu again and asking if we should consider wiping the windows off the Laptop.

No stratagey here except to let Windows speak for itself.

Ghost|BTFH
June 6th, 2011, 09:17 PM
My wife switched completely after her laptop got hacked inside an airport and she had about $500 worth of "fuel" purchased at a (local to the airport) gas station.

Now she runs a real computer, complete with Ubuntu and anything she needs done in Windows is run via offline mode virtualbox. She trusts Microsoft now about as far as she could throw our family car.

Cheers,
Ghost|BTFH

lulled
June 6th, 2011, 09:21 PM
My wife used my computer sometimes, so she is not completely stranger to Ubuntu. Sometime ago she was having problems with her computer at work, so she came to me and said "I asked the IT guys at work to switch my computer to Ubuntu" and I was like "WTF?!" and she said "What's the big deal? Ubuntu is easy to use."

Then later I found out that they neither reinstalled her Windows nor did they install Ubuntu. =/

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
My wife has been using Ubuntu on her computer for a few years now. When I got my new netbook that came preloaded with Windows 7 she wanted to see what all the Windows 7 fuss was all about. After 10 minutes of it still booting up she said it was time to put Ubuntu on it :)

We run only Linux in our house.

Bölvağur
June 7th, 2011, 01:30 AM

and here is the download link I still got up after all this time

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/955154/Linux_4_Girls.tar.gz

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 01:36 AM
This conversion just happened

Tim: Hey, Lisa ... I am looking at a post about windows 8 want to have a look? It's very different?
Lisa: No! ... Oh! By the way I looked into buying windows 7 to replace the O/S on the desktop upstairs ... it is running terribly after the virus. IT SO EXPENSIVE!

Tim: The black desktop in the loft?
Lisa: Yes that's the one ...
Tim: The one you go onto the internet with?
Lisa: Yeah!
Tim: To be honest I would just throw Linux onto it ... I wouldn't even *interrupted*
Lisa: Uh! Linux ... Amanda was like "Ubuntu, he stuck Ubuntu on my machine, I cried it was so hard"
Tim: I see ... so ... no?
Lisa: Uh! I know your Ubuntu ... NO ... THANKS!

pookiebear
June 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM
If she doesn't play games put the windows in a virtualbox.
ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS with windows XP in a virtualbox for photoshop or whatever is needed for windows.
Then once the windows is setup make a copy of the virtual hard drive for it every so often for a backup of it.
easy!

HermanAB
June 7th, 2011, 06:29 AM
She trusts Microsoft now about as far as she could throw our family car.

Hey, my wife is a farm girl and probably could throw the family car, except that we got a little 2.5 ton SUV recently...

Zero2Nine
June 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM
This conversion just happened

Tim: Hey, Lisa ... I am looking at a post about windows 8 want to have a look? It's very different?
Lisa: No! ... Oh! By the way I looked into buying windows 7 to replace the O/S on the desktop upstairs ... it is running terribly after the virus. IT SO EXPENSIVE!

Tim: The black desktop in the loft?
Lisa: Yes that's the one ...
Tim: The one you go onto the internet with?
Lisa: Yeah!
Tim: To be honest I would just throw Linux onto it ... I wouldn't even *interrupted*
Lisa: Uh! Linux ... Amanda was like "Ubuntu, he stuck Ubuntu on my machine, I cried it was so hard"
Tim: I see ... so ... no?
Lisa: Uh! I know your Ubuntu ... NO ... THANKS!

Girls getting emotional over operating systems, that's what I call emancipation.

Ghost|BTFH
June 7th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hey, my wife is a farm girl and probably could throw the family car, except that we got a little 2.5 ton SUV recently...

I got me a farmgirl too, and she could probably chuck it, but not really that far - hence the comment. ;)

Good to know there's some other smart guys in the world who go for those hot cornfed gals. :D