PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Removing older Ubuntu

AshTanim
June 6th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Hello, I'm just using Ubuntu since yesterday !! Actually, I don't know anything specific about Ubuntu. Whatever, I installed an old version of Ubuntu (8.04) alongside with my Windows 7. Now, I want to install Ubuntu 10.10 !! But, I don't want to keep that older one. I want to install the newer version over that older one . Do I need to format my Drives ?? Does it harm my Windows and all data in Hard-disk ?? I don't want to lose my files. Please help.

Bucky Ball
June 6th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Welcome.

Update to the current long term-release - 10.04 LTS (long-term support). Smoother ride for a noob and you can update to 10.10 from there. There is no direct upgrade from 8.04 LTS to 10.10.

Do the upgrade with a cable connected (not wireless). Important.

Open update manager (System>Administration>Update Manager) and you should see the option at the top of that window to upgrade to 10.04 LTS. If you don't get this go System>Admin>Software Sources>Update and in the bottom right under 'Release Upgrade' you should find an option to notify of releases. ;)

mörgæs
June 6th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Next time it is best to install the desired version from the beginning. This will avoid the risk of upgrading.

pritam_par
August 8th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Goto Update manager. There will be option to get upgraded to the latest version and you are done. This process will insure that you will not lose any data.