PDA

View Full Version : Sony offers free playstation games

u-noob-tu
June 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
so i came home yesterday and my brother told me that since the playstation network was down for so long sony decided to give every ps3 owner (at least thats what i heard) 2 free games (from a few selected titles). i got Wipeout HD (HIGHLY recommended) and Dead Nation (havent tried yet). other games that i heard were offered were inFamous and Little Big Planet. I think it was a good move on sony's part to make up (partially, at least) for the damage done by Anonymous (the hacker group responsible for the attack).

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I like how they gave away games that pretty much every PS3 owner already owns that are going for $20 new in a store. The only thing I downloaded was the Dead Nations, and my PSP is modded so there was no point to the PSP games.

Also, Qriocity sucks. Aren't they giving out a free movie also? Oh yay I get the month of PS+ I missed from the month or so the network was down.

Sony sucks with apologies, and considering they made one of the worst ones in history, you't think they'd be a little more generous.

LowSky
June 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I kinda own the title they are giving away.. so awesome.. and already a PS+ customer... I rather Sony give me Batman: Arkam City...

sectshun8
June 5th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Any expiration date on the offer? I won't be back to my PS3 until Thursday at the earliest.. might pick up the free titles :)

u-noob-tu
June 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Any expiration date on the offer? I won't be back to my PS3 until Thursday at the earliest.. might pick up the free titles :)
i dont really know. i imagine a week at the very least.

mips
June 5th, 2011, 02:30 PM

http://www.1up.com/news/welcome-back-psn-europe-free-game-choices

In order to qualify for this content, you'll need to have had a PSN account as of April 20, when the service went down. Once the deal goes live, you'll have 30 days to download your games from the PlayStation Store.

While the post was up, it showed that users will get to select two of the following PS3 games: LittleBigPlanet, Infamous, Wipeout HD/Fury, Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty, and Dead Nation. Those with PSP accounts will also be able to select two of the following: LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers, Pursuit Force, and Killzone Liberation. (Germany will have a different selection for both platforms that removes the more violent games.)

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/16/details-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-customer-appreciation-program-in-north-america/

doorknob60
June 5th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Yep, I got all 4 games (used my PSN for two of them, my brother's for the other two lol), good deal for me :) EDIT: Wait, there's five, but I already have LBP on a disc.

gnomeuser
June 5th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I'd prefer a promise to never again sue homebrew hackers like geohot and to work transparently and effectively on fixing their obvious security deficiencies... but I realize that is never going to happen.

For now I predict they will continue their security by lawyer fail journey and watch as their servers crumble under the deluge of attacks they have so far failed to defend against.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'd prefer a promise to never again sue homebrew hackers like geohot and to work transparently and effectively on fixing their obvious security deficiencies... but I realize that is never going to happen.

For now I predict they will continue their security by lawyer fail journey and watch as their servers crumble under the deluge of attacks they have so far failed to defend against.
Not to mention that most PSN users probably had credit card info and all manner of stuff stolen- but yeah, free games, whoo.

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM

Sony kept everyone's information in plain text, I doubt they'd do anything intelligible to improve their image at this point. They haven't been making the brightest decisions these past few years.

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Not to mention that most PSN users probably had credit card info and all manner of stuff stolen- but yeah, free games, whoo.

It was actually like 22 out of 77 million users. According to some reports I've seen flying around the hackers were only looking for specific users, and other reports say they were doing it to bring down Sony.

Baumbart
June 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM

Yeah, but imagine someone had stolen the games with a free OS.
And free credit card info for a stolen OS sounds like a good deal on the other hand.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Sony kept everyone's information in plain text, I doubt they'd do anything intelligible to improve their image at this point. They haven't been making the brightest decisions these past few years.
Okay, they were running apache unpatched on their servers without firewalls, and they stored people's information in plain text? I have patched apache w/firewalls and encrypted user info, on my tiny, unnoticeable, unindexed forum that I run as a hobby! They're a multi-billion dollar coproration! Isn't there a criminal negligence case in here somewhere?

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Okay, they were running apache unpatched on their servers without firewalls, and they stored people's information in plain text? I have patched apache w/firewalls and encrypted user info, on my tiny, unnoticeable, unindexed forum that I run as a hobby! They're a multi-billion dollar coproration! Isn't there a criminal negligence case in here somewhere?

They're certainly incompetent. Also, it turns out that the CEO of SCEA (Kaz Hirai I think) had no idea that his people put up such shoddy security. Wasn't there someone in charge of this?

Spr0k3t
June 6th, 2011, 01:35 AM
My problem is, even if Sony is giving away free games, it still does not give the end user an option to create homebrew games/software or even bring back "Other OS". To get the free games requires acepting a new firmware beyond 3.41... that's not going to happen until there's a way to run homebrew stuff on newer firmware.

sectshun8
June 6th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Got an email today from Sony about the promotion. Says they will be available for 30 days... guess I'll download them Thursday :)

u-noob-tu
June 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
My problem is, even if Sony is giving away free games, it still does not give the end user an option to create homebrew games/software or even bring back "Other OS". To get the free games requires acepting a new firmware beyond 3.41... that's not going to happen until there's a way to run homebrew stuff on newer firmware.
i thought i heard something about the ps3's other OS option being unlocked. i know where i heard it, im just not 100% sure about it. if you want, go to youtube and look up "this week in linux" channel, i know i heard it from him.

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 03:16 PM
My dad just won a PS3 in a drawing Friday. I wonder if he can get the free games, too.

mips
June 6th, 2011, 03:41 PM
My dad just won a PS3 in a drawing Friday. I wonder if he can get the free games, too.

http://www.1up.com/news/welcome-back-psn-europe-free-game-choices

In order to qualify for this content, you'll need to have had a PSN account as of April 20, when the service went down. Once the deal goes live, you'll have 30 days to download your games from the PlayStation Store.

fuduntu
June 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I like how they gave away games that pretty much every PS3 owner already owns that are going for $20 new in a store. The only thing I downloaded was the Dead Nations, and my PSP is modded so there was no point to the PSP games.

Also, Qriocity sucks. Aren't they giving out a free movie also? Oh yay I get the month of PS+ I missed from the month or so the network was down.

Sony sucks with apologies, and considering they made one of the worst ones in history, you't think they'd be a little more generous.

The PSP downloads work just fine with 6.39ME-4 which is based on M33. I've found 6.39ME-4 to be completely compatible with everything I had working in M33 (a few emulators and rips from my personal UMD collection).

The free movies are ridiculous, and you are right the PS3 games are games that just about everyone already has anyway.

Mmmbopdowedop
June 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
<snip>... for the damage done by Anonymous (the hacker group responsible for the attack).

...I don't think it was Anonymous.

I read a file had been left there as a bogey, in which Anonymous defended it wasn't them.

Also; BBC claims otherwise, too;
Lulz Security is the same group that attacked the websites of Sony over the past few weeks.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13663814

Source2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13309581

Just throwing it out there.

aaaantoine
June 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
True, and I was about to say the same thing, but then I remembered that pretty much anybody can call themselves Anonymous. That's more or less the point.

BrokenKingpin
June 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I am glad they are offering the games... but the network was still so broken all I got was errors when I tried to download the games.

Spr0k3t
June 6th, 2011, 05:44 PM
i thought i heard something about the ps3's other OS option being unlocked. i know where i heard it, im just not 100% sure about it. if you want, go to youtube and look up "this week in linux" channel, i know i heard it from him.

I have the other os feature back on 3.41 firmware... but if I upgrade to the official firmware I lose the ability to access other os as well as the homebrew software features. I can fake the firmware to report the latest, but it could mean being banned from PSN if I try to connect to it with the faked firmware revision/proxy.

Dustin2128
June 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I have the other os feature back on 3.41 firmware... but if I upgrade to the official firmware I lose the ability to access other os as well as the homebrew software features. I can fake the firmware to report the latest, but it could mean being banned from PSN if I try to connect to it with the faked firmware revision/proxy.
Not to mention the games that say they require the latest firmware to run... what bull.

Legendary_Bibo
June 6th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Linux on the PS3 sucked. It took like 5 minutes to boot, and it was slow.

timZZ
June 7th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I got inFamous ... Haven't tried it yet.

Spr0k3t
June 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Not to mention the games that say they require the latest firmware to run... what bull.

Yeah, Portal2 worked perfectly fine with 3.41 reporting as 3.60. So what exact features Portal2 required of the latest firmware was purely marketing scope and Sony being lame about their homebrew/otheros featureset.

3rdalbum
June 7th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Lulz Security IS Anonymous. One and the same. They "do it for the lulz", remember?