PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] change to "mount point" entry ??

DouglasAdams
June 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
re: "all variants"
tried this in Ubuntu & Xubuntu, presume same in Kubuntu

in an earlier post i mentioned, just in case it might be relevant:

the only strange thing during the install was that when i was manually allocating partitions i was unable to specify my data drives as i could not type in the mount point box,
e.g.
in the mount point box i usually enter:
/home/data1 etc

background:

booted 11.04 from pendrive.
copied hd to usb drives and ran my life for 3 days.
formatted my hd, guid (was mbr), setup my preferred partitions
i.e. boot, root, home, 3 data partitions plus a swap.
tried swap at start of drive and at end - same problem.

this happened a couple of times with ubuntu with the swap file at the end of the drive then once with the swap file as the first partition.
then i tried xubuntu, with the swap moved back to the end of the drive, and had the same problems with the mount point box, i.e.
i was only able to select a "pre-ordained" entry - i could not type in the selection box to add my personal file systems.

why is this?
have this been changed? it clearly works differently to 10.10.
why has it been changed? it is obviously needed and worked great !

Hedgehog1
June 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
This was not a planned change in the install, it was a bug found too late to get fixed for the final pull.

The ability to type in your own mount points will return.

I have been suggesting that folks make a copy of their /etc/fstab file before the install, and then copying the additional mount points form that copy into the new /etc/fstab.

The Hedge

:KS

DouglasAdams
June 5th, 2011, 11:22 AM
cheers Hedge.

actually, i do have a copy of my /etc/fstab but, as i reformatted one drive, with totally different partition sizes, and my reason for doing this is to trash the other drive (after ensuring i've got all my data) so my old /etc/fstab wouldn't have been any use to me in this particular instance. great reminder though.

any idea when this feature might be fixed please?
will i need to wait for DOT 1?
if so, any idea when that might be plz?

thanks again

kansasnoob
June 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Here's the bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/769043

You can type the correct mount point in something like gedit, then copy-n-paste it into the ubiquity window.

kansasnoob
June 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM
It won't be fixed in 11.04 but it's currently fixed in 11.10 Alpha1. But you don't want the Alpha1, it's very unstable!

DouglasAdams
June 5th, 2011, 12:15 PM
cheers Kansas.
is there not going to be a point release for 04 then?