PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem installing linux

Rrotem
June 5th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Hi guys

I need your help, I'm newbe to linux.
I have an old computer that had linux installed on it. I don't know which and I don't know the user name or password.
I've downloded the new version of "ubuntu", burned it on a disk (from a differnt computer) and tried to install it.
I got an error message:
general error mounting filesystem
a maintence shell will now started
contorol-D will terminate this shell and reebot the system

I looked it up on the internet, they said I need to edit files.
I can't and I don't wat to, I just want a fresh installation.

Can you help me?
Tanks

raja.genupula
June 5th, 2011, 08:32 AM
if you want to do a fresh install then connect that hard disk to to another system and erase all the data and then do reinstall

kansasnoob
June 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
When you first boot the live CD, right after the system/BIOS screen passes you'll see a purple screen with two small graphics at the bottom. At that moment you have about 3 seconds to press a key.

Then the language screen will appear followed by a screen with boot options. Choose "check disc for errors", it'll take a few minutes to run.

If it shows any errors then you have a bad burn, or possibly a bad download so look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

And here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

If it says "no errors" found then select "try Ubuntu w/o changes" and from the Live desktop post some general system info, like the output of:

sudo lshw

A simple way to do that is to run:

sudo lshw > hardwareprofile.txt

You'll then find a file in the home folder titled "hardwareprofile.txt" and you can either compress and attach it here using the paper-clip thingy or copy-n-paste the output into code tags using the #.

Rrotem
June 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM
tanks, it worked

Rrotem
June 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have a new problem :(

The installation went well, I restart the computer and it's stuck on "checking battry state".

I've tried reinstalling - same thing.

Please help, tanks