PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Installing Wubi with EasyBCD?

Goosemonkey
June 5th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I already installed Wubi, and I liked it so much, I decided to fully install Ubuntu in a dual-boot with Vista.

Well, that didn't go too well.. so I had to repair my computer with EasyBCD.

Now, I'm trying to reinstall Wubi, but when I install and then re-boot, Windows loads without asking me to go to Ubuntu.

I think there might be a problem here with EasyBCD.. when I install Wubi, then reboot and get back to Windows, EasyBCD doesn't show Ubuntu in the list of OS's. I tried adding it, which only brought me to a grub command line with some text, then an input that said

grub>

So, how might I go about getting Wubi installed?

(I'm not going back to the full install, that almost screwed my computer for good.)

Goosemonkey
June 5th, 2011, 05:30 AM
bump

Rubi1200
June 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here is a link that should help you achieve what you want:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20340/how-to-restore-the-wubi-ubuntu-bootloader/

ILoveYorkies
June 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Hi,
Or instead of using WUBI you could try to install to an external hard drive ( or a flash drive like I have done ). You could either install just Grub2 bootloader to the flash or get a 8 or 16 gb thumbdrive and partition it with Gparted from a livecd or liveusb. First while in Windows change the thumbdrive from removeable (to write cache so you have to always use shutdown safely like when using an external hard drive). Then use a livecd choose try Ubuntu not install. If it boots okay then go to apps and pick Gparted and partition the drive giving 300mbs or less to Grub then you need a root (/) partition then a a swapfile and a /home partition. Then use disk utility to double check which is the the dev names so you install to the correct drive so you don't overwrite your Win partitions nor it's mbr. Or you could install grub to a 4gb or less thumbdrive after partitioning your main Win partition most likely c drive, shrinking it so you can make another partition for Linux. If you do that, MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP OR COPY ALL THE DATA YOU NEED TO KEEP! Shrinking your partition with software for Win or using Gparted usually doesn't BUT IT CAN CORRUPT OR ERASE DATA! If you IMPROPERLY INSTALL GRUB YOU COULD MESS UP Windows MBR BOOTLOADER! That's why I use flash drives and use the "other" check box during install instead of allowing Ubuntu to choose everything. I can then choose the devices to partition myself. I just use the key to pause post so I can choose which drive to boot from, In my case I press Esc then F9 and it lists my Grub drive named Sandisk. I have to do that every time I want to boot Natty but that's just the way I wanted it. If you don't then just go into your bios utility and move the Ubuntu drive to 1st place then Windows drive to 2nd place then every time you power on, it looks for your Grub drive to boot from. If it doesn't find it, it boots directly into Win again.So far this method has worked for me. Post back to let me know if you need more details on it.
I hope this helps you to dual boot if WUBI doesn't work for to anymore.

Goosemonkey
June 5th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Here is a link that should help you achieve what you want:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20340/how-to-restore-the-wubi-ubuntu-bootloader/

Thanks, I'll try that! It seems like exactly what I need.