PDA

View Full Version : Why Do DVDs (Usually) have a DRM But Not CDs

dniMretsaM
June 5th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Is it because they are more valuable? Or is the industry just being paranoid?

PhillyPhil
June 5th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Because when CDs came out the data delivery industry didn't think users would be able to copy them?

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I've never noticed DRM on my dvds. I usually rip them of course.

tgm4883
June 5th, 2011, 03:21 AM
As PhillyPhil said, the industry saw what happened with CDs and didn't want that to happen with DVDs.

CDs first shown publically in 1976
DVDs first shown publically in 1996

mkendall
June 5th, 2011, 06:47 AM
There are CDs with DRM. The problem from the music industry's perspective is much of the CD hardware that's out there cannot play a CD with DRM on it.

dniMretsaM
June 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Ok. Just wondering. It doesn't work though (DRM never does), so what's the point? I say just get rid of DRMs everywhere.

3Miro
June 6th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Ok. Just wondering. It doesn't work though (DRM never does), so what's the point? I say just get rid of DRMs everywhere.

Technologically illiterate CEOs want something to protect themselves and people take their money and supposedly provide a "DRM protections".

It is nonsense of course, I was 16 when I knew how to break the DRM on any music file and while I was a smart 16 year old, I was no genius. Most semi-tech-literate people would have to trouble doing it.

tgm4883
June 6th, 2011, 03:59 AM

Incorrect, DRM works great you are just looking at it from the wrong perspective.

You cannot stop the pirates. If you could, you wouldn't be getting the money from them anyway as they likely wouldn't buy the product.

However, you can stop the second hand sales from legitimate customers.

NightwishFan
June 6th, 2011, 04:03 AM
One of the reasons I switched away from Windows to open source is I realized the only thing the activation is accomplishing is inconveniencing the legitimate users.

KingYaba
June 6th, 2011, 05:00 AM
However, you can stop the second hand sales from legitimate customers.

It's been their tactic to go after the first sale which is why they love the iTunes Store and other related offerings.

Timmer1240
June 6th, 2011, 05:08 AM
If you can hear it you can copy it simple as that!when I was a kid they would have album night on the radio full albums played no interuptions Ide pop in a blank cassette and away Ide go!Same with a computer its even easyer now!

mcduck
June 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Oh. The CD's do often have DRM, just take a look at game & program CDs. ;)

Audio CDs, on the other hand, can't have DRM as support for such thing isn't included the Compact Disc Digital Audio specifications. (You can add DRM to a music CD, but you can't call it Audio CD if you do that). Any copy protection or DRM added to the disc would violate the standard, and it's owners (especially Philips) have been pretty strict about not allowing the CD-DA logo or anything else that would make the incompatible format disc look like a standard audio CD.