PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu phone app

noidian
June 5th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Hi,

I essentially want to connect my telephone line to a telephone port on my laptop and was wondering if there is any app that I can use to make phone calls from my laptop instead of a standard phone.

Thanks

IWantFroyo
June 5th, 2011, 01:01 AM
You could use Google Voice or Skype, but that isn't actually using the service you already have...

I don't think you can plug telephone cables into ethernet ports, can you?
I've never actually tried that.

noidian
June 5th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Well..my Toshiba laptop.. a little primitive..but still serving my purpose has a traditional telephone jack so I would like to use it.
Essentially I want to use the standard telephone line not the internet but the laptop acts like a psuedo telephone routing my voice.

noidian
June 6th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Bump

CVGH
June 7th, 2011, 03:13 AM
The phone jack probably just goes to a "winmodem".
Don't believe you can use it like a phone.

BTW, went to HVCC many years ago!!

happy_heyoka
June 7th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Well..my Toshiba laptop.. a little primitive..but still serving my purpose has a traditional telephone jack so I would like to use it.
Essentially I want to use the standard telephone line not the internet but the laptop acts like a psuedo telephone routing my voice.

There were some types if modem that could do this... (and I'm using the past tense - haven't actually seen a POTS modem outside of a second hand store for a while).

Your best bet is to track down the tech specs for the laptop and see if you can identify the particular type of modem and see how the modem audio relates to the sound hardware for the rest of the computer.
Some of them are "hybrid" setups - the main CPU actually does the signal processing; some have dedicated hardware that doesn't do anything more than dumb data and fax... and some are inbetween.

I presume you've tried looking at software like Asterisk and perhaps tried an install to see if it already knows about this kind of device?