PDA

View Full Version : What kind of computer do you use?

PCaddicted
June 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
PC desktop.

Thewhistlingwind
June 4th, 2011, 09:05 PM
To access these forums?

I use way more then one............

wolfen69
June 4th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Desktop mainly, but I also have a netbook that I rarely use.

PCaddicted
June 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Laptops have few ports,unlike desktops.

NightwishFan
June 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Really you could narrow that down as Macs are just PCs. :/ I use a medium size laptop running Debian.

Swagman
June 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I use a computery type of computer !!

Actually it's a self build desktop

Asus: Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 965 cpu
4 Gig RAM (Corsair)
Asus Xonar pci Soundcard
Nvidia GT8800 512 GPU
Corasir 800 watt PSU
1 x 1Tb HDD
2x 200 gb HDD
1 x 320gb IDE HDD (unpowered)
LG LightScribe DVDRW

And a partridge in a pear tree

Macskeeball
June 5th, 2011, 12:01 AM
My main machine is a 15" Mac laptop that has virtual machines of Ubuntu and Windows 7. My home server is a headless PC tower running CentOS. I had been running Debian on it, but the netinstall disc for Squeeze didn't work so I took the opportunity to learn more about Red Hat related distros.

CraigPaleo
June 5th, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'm using a desktop computer running Pardus 2011.1 Beta as of a few minutes ago.

HappinessNow
June 5th, 2011, 02:11 AM
PC desktop.

incomplete poll...

Google Chromebook - notebook powered by ChromeOS (specifically the CR48)

collisionystm
June 5th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Dell vostro desktop, vostro laptop and a droid 2 lol

doorknob60
June 5th, 2011, 04:14 AM
This further proves my point, and this is one of my pet peeves. I hate how poeple think there's two "types" of computers, Macs and PCs. The only thing that makes Macs different from other computers is which operating system they run, and who manufactures it (Apple). Apple is just another brand, just like Dell, HP, etc. And OS X is just another operating system, no different than Linux or Windows (well they're different but you know what I mean). I'm not trying to rip the OP, it's just misinformation caused by the media, and it gets on my nerves nowadays :P But to answer the question, I use a desktop I built my self, and it's a PC (Personal Computer, just like any computer made by Apple).

sammiev
June 5th, 2011, 04:21 AM
I use 3 laptops and 1 desktop. Voted for laptops as that is my main. GL :)

CraigPaleo
June 5th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Would anyone know what I meant if I said that my PC mini ended up being a piece of crap? Maybe.. but it was a Mac Mini.

Bandit
June 5th, 2011, 05:16 AM
PC Desktop.

BTW Macs are PC now also..

This further proves my point, and this is one of my pet peeves. I hate how poeple think there's two "types" of computers, Macs and PCs. The only thing that makes Macs different from other computers is which operating system they run, and who manufactures it (Apple). Apple is just another brand, just like Dell, HP, etc. And OS X is just another operating system, no different than Linux or Windows (well they're different but you know what I mean). I'm not trying to rip the OP, it's just misinformation caused by the media, and it gets on my nerves nowadays :P But to answer the question, I use a desktop I built my self, and it's a PC (Personal Computer, just like any computer made by Apple).
This...

wizard10000
June 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Overpowered desktop PC for video rendering but 90% of my computer time is spent on my netbook.

beetleman64
June 5th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I mostly use a normal desktop (especially since it's new!) but I also have a laptop which I use from time to time, probably more in the next year or so.

Frogs Hair
June 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I'm using my first custom build desktop and will build my own from now on .

KL_72_TR
June 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
PC desktop.

benc1213
June 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I usually us my desktop but I also use my latop and my netbook (cr-48 ).

ojdon
June 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I have a Acer Aspire 5739G and a Viewsonic Viewpad 10. :D

3xp10r3r|X13
June 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Wow, this is odd..

I thought the desktop PCs would be next to becoming extinct, but here it goes: I am not alone.

--> well maybe it's that way, because Linux runs on pretty much every crap out there. So everybody starts reusing the good old PC, just for fun

on the other hand, I don't, so there are probably lots of other people who build their own little machine and run Linux, cause it simply rules!

PS: in the end custom build is just the best (including custom build laptops)

Lucradia
June 5th, 2011, 08:02 PM
PC Desktop (Higher End)

Thewhistlingwind
June 5th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Wow, this is odd..

I thought the desktop PCs would be next to becoming extinct, but here it goes: I am not alone.

--> well maybe it's that way, because Linux runs on pretty much every crap out there. So everybody starts reusing the good old PC, just for fun

on the other hand, I don't, so there are probably lots of other people who build their own little machine and run Linux, cause it simply rules!

No, the desktop has a better form factor (In terms of ergonomics), looks better, has more power, and doesn't restrict one to small hardware.

People who predict it's demise forget this. I have a laptop, and still use my desktop, and when I think of buying a computer, I think of both desktops and laptops.

hakermania
June 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
PC laptop :)
Maybe low-performance comparing to dekstops, but someone interested about networks is hard to use desktop ;)

KiwiNZ
June 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
For general use...

Imac
Macbook Pro
Mac Pro

I have various home build PC's in the sandpit for testing and a Ipad for the boat.

Copper Bezel
June 6th, 2011, 12:34 AM
An Eee. (Which sometimes pretends to be a dual-display desktop, as right now.)

el_koraco
June 6th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Wow, this is odd..

PS: in the end custom build is just the best (including custom build laptops)

The whole "it's the end of the desktop" chant is a marketing slogan to help sell tablets. The tablet arena is the only computing market not completely dominated by Microsoft, so smaller companies try to inflate the value of touch devices. Bubble markets tend to behave like that.

OT, a laptop.

Linuxratty
June 6th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Good ol' plane vanilla PC with Mint11.

red_Marvin
June 6th, 2011, 02:20 AM
...Since the poll assumes that PC's and Macs are so fundamentally different things, that they cannot share a poll option, I will make the (counter)assumption that PC's are also meant to a computer running an operating system from Microsoft...

...So I cannot vote
+ Thinkpad Running Arch
+ Android Smartphone

Khakilang
June 6th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I had 1 custom build main desktop computer for my work and 2 old desktop computer IBM ThinkCenter and Acer Powermate mainly for testing and backup.

TheSuperSteve
June 6th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I use an old Dell Dimension 8300 and a new HP p6710f desktop that i hate with every fiber of my being.

Both of them will be sold and replaced with a Macbook Pro and an iMac within the next 2 years.

|{urse
June 6th, 2011, 04:16 AM
I use mine and whatever one(s) I get into. Lol.