PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] About "Unity" in Ubuntu 11.04

ahsan08
June 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Could you please tell me:

1. What is actually UNITY?? is it the "default desktop" when i installed ubuntu 11.04?

2. If not, then how to use this UNITY???

3. Is there any way to get 3D effects in ubuntu 11.04??

If any, please, help me describing it thoroughly.

IWantFroyo
June 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Unity is the "Ubuntu" desktop.
Here are a few screenshots:
http://www.zdnet.com/photos/gallery-ubuntu-1104-alpha-3/6200557

wildmanne39
June 5th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Could you please tell me:

1. What is actually UNITY?? is it the "default desktop" when i installed ubuntu 11.04?

2. If not, then how to use this UNITY???

3. Is there any way to get 3D effects in ubuntu 11.04??

If any, please, help me describing it thoroughly.

Hi, I have the cube and many effects enabled, they all work great, I will give you this link to help you setup the cube and I am working on a guide to help with the settings for animations like burn and exploding windows. After you get done with the guide and you want to add effects and change a few more things it will mess up your windows but log out and back in and they will be fixed,if you need more help after installing the cube to set it up post back here. Also remember that you have to have 3d support and enough resources to run the cube and effects. Make sure if you need a driver installed for your video card that you install in first.
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/05/enable-desktop-cube-in-unity-ubuntu.html

stando007
June 5th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I ask Why, why, why...? ..did they do this to Ubuntu. I was looking forward to Ubuntu 11.04, but it's desktop environment - Unity sucks. Absolutely unfriendly, unusable, non practical. No taskbar on the bottom - I can't see opened windows/applications - need to press alt+w or go to unity launcher and search for the small arrows... What a stupidity. Not possible to add some launchers, applets to panel anymore.
I want to run let's say "Gimp", then click the menu and need to click via lot of icons... or type "Gimp" and click. Realy stupid.
Or, you are browsing in chrome and want to hit the "back button" and 80% cases are like nice unity launcher appears because you moved the mouse in the edge of the screen :) Really handy.

I will definitely uninstall the Ubuntu 11.04 and install 10.10. Performance of the 11.04 is not better even. I do not see no improvements on my old Dell Optiplex GX620.

Ubuntu designers should think about there are still some people who do not use tablets with touch screens - on touch screens I am finding unity better than gnome used in 10.10. Regarding Gnome 3, I think it'll be similar to unity - a plus for touch screens, minus for standard users with standard mouse and keyboard :)

Not all people working with Ubuntu are kids :) Maybe for them Unity / Gnome 3 is fine :)

3xp10r3r|X13
June 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
If it is only the desktop environment, which is bothering you, then just install another DE.

stando007
June 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yes it is possible, but I got used on the gnome in 10.10. I switched to Ubuntu Classic even in 11.04 but I am finding the whole performance of the 11.04 worse than in 10.10. Even boot time is quite long on my PC.

I think if microsoft do such dramatic change to windows desktop environment, it would be the step how to make users to use other operating system (possible ubuntu linux) :) People like changes but not so much.

Basically such dramatic change of hod DE looks like and how is it controlled is not good. Ubuntu started with moving the window controls from right to the left -> even this was not liked by users. Now, 1 common menu bar for all windows as apple has, no taskbar, new launcher, ...

I just want to let the people know that from my point of view, this is not good step of "improving" the ubuntu.