PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] compiz / cube BEST desktop environment to date

arpad9
June 4th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Since I've been posting bitches about Unity lately, I wanted to post a positive message.

Gnome 2, Compiz, Desktop Cube and the Compiz Plugins create the most advanced desktop environment I've ever used.

I've used:
Windows since 3.0
Geos on the Apple II
Mac OS since the original Mac
OS/2 3.0 - 4.0
CDE on AIX and Solaris
NeXTStep 3.3
Enlightenment
WindowMaker
KDE 3.0

Why?

1. Easy, practical and flashy management of multiple desktops.
2. Thorough customization of keyboard shortcuts, mouse shortcuts and window behavior (for example, my terminals always come up borderless and 60% transparent).
3. Gnome-panel applets - quick views into CPU, memory, network, disk I/O, temperature, time, weather, etc...
4. Easy management of multiple windows on a single desktop or on all desktops.
5. Quick single mouse-click list of all windows on all desktops.
6. Other goodies
a) the shelf - admittedly, I don't use this too often but it's kinda cool
b) window grouping - I just started using this a few months ago and it's pretty cool - windows back to back
c) eye candy - this IS actually an somewhat important thing when you've been working at your computer for hours - it's nice to have neat eye candy - it make the experience a little "lighter"
7. Nautilus: tabbed windows, etc...
8. Other Linux things that aren't necessarily Gnome/Compiz but haven't been there on other GUI's
a) XKill
b) Run hotkey (Alt-F2)
c) quick and easy network connection switching / IP switching / VPN connections

The above are the reasons I LOVE working in Linux and am constantly frustrated in Windows XP/7 and OSX. I think Linux provides the most advanced desktop environments (especially as above) and the greatest diversity in choices / customization. Yes, I'm using desktop switching in Windows 7 via 3rd party but it's not nearly the same.

I'm a little concerned about this move to finger driven UI's across all devices (as with Windows 8 as well). As always, you try be everything to every device you may be no good on any device. That said, I can't wait for the day that I stand/sit in front of my TV and manipulate the large screen with hand gestures/swipes but does that same interface really need to be on my desktop??

Thoughts?

arpad9
June 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
And I almost forgot, practically the most comforting:

Alt-Middle-Button to resize a window
Alt-Left-Button to grab and move a window

...from anwyhere in the window. It's the little things that sometimes matter the most.

beew
June 4th, 2011, 07:09 PM
+1 to everything you say. :)

MartyBuntu
June 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I like my cube as well, but it's more of a gimmick that a practical desktop appliance.

arpad9
June 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I disagree... I'm sorely missing it since my 11.04 upgrade two days ago.

- Ctrl-Alt-<desktop #> to move a window and folow
- Ctrl-Shift-<desktop #> to move a window and don't follow
- Middle button on desktop to grab and rotate the cube
- Scroll wheel on desktop to spin the cube
- Ctrl-Alt-DownArrow view all desktops
- Meta-S Coverflow through windows
- Ctrl-Meta-S Coverflow through all windows
- Drag a window across the edge to a new desktop

Sometimes you want to use the keyboard, sometimes you want to use the mouse. The options, combined with the pleasant eye candy make it so much nicer for long term computer use.

Some of the above are possible with Unity but I think some are only Cube specific or conflict with Unity.

stinkeye
June 4th, 2011, 08:23 PM
After installing ccsm on natty and getting the cube back, disabling the
global menu and decreasing the size of the unity launcher I don't find much difference to maverick.
To enable the cube in Natty see here: http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/05/enable-desktop-cube-in-unity-ubuntu.html#more (http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/05/enable-desktop-cube-in-unity-ubuntu.html#more)

I missed the applets for system monitoring but there are indicators for this,
and I'm sure more will come in time.
Take a look at OMG!Ubuntu!
eg
My Weather Indicator (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/my-weather-indicator-adds-sun-and-moon-info-feels-like-temp-and-more-in-latest-update/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg%21+Ubuntu%21%29)
Indicator Multiload (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/indicator-multiload-is-a-gnome-applet-style-system-monitor-for-your-desktop-panel/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg%21+Ubuntu%21%29)
Timer applet (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/05/so-cute-and-so-nifty-timer-applet-for-the-unity-launcher/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg%21+Ubuntu%21%29)

The customization is still there.
eg I made myself a conky which sits beneath a transparent panel
to show cpu, net mem usage and hdd temp.

mc4man
June 4th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Some of the above are possible with Unity but I think some are only Cube specific or conflict with Unity.
You can do anything you wish with cube/rotate in unity also

I like my cube as well, but it's more of a gimmick that a practical desktop appliance.
At least here the difference is rotate vs. wall, rotate is simpler, smoother and more efficient and 'practical' than wall for viewport switching.
Obviously you need something to rotate, hence cube

MartyBuntu
June 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
You can do anything you wish with cube/rotate in unity also

At least here the difference is rotate vs. wall, rotate is simpler, smoother and more efficient and 'practical' than wall for viewport switching.
Obviously you need something to rotate, hence cube

How is desktop switching "simpler" or "more efficient" using a cube?

There is no advanced functionality in this. (Mind you, I use the cube and other "eye candy", but very little of it is for workstation enhancement).

arpad9
June 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM
How is desktop switching "simpler" or "more efficient" using a cube?

Go back to my post #5. I'm saying all those things are simpler and more efficient.

And yeah, it seems like I'll be going back to the Cube soon - maybe after trying Gnome 3 first - but that just proves my point that the functionality that I originally mentioned is the best!

I can't wait to see something better, I just haven't!