PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.4 and Firefox 4.01 ~ The Picture I Can't Get

Andavane
June 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM
The attached shows the Picture I want of the Firefox Menus (taken from PC with Ubuntu 10.10). The one with File/Edit/View/History/Bookmarks/Tools.

It is on 11.4 (upgraded from 10.10).

I have scoured the net and forums over many days, and simply cannot get File/Edit/View (although I can get the other items by the new system.

I need File/Edit so I can Save As... for a webpage.

Is it because I followed upgrade path?

If it's there, I just can't see it. This, along with other things in Ubuntu 11.4, is driving me nuts! :(

Larkspur
June 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
The Firefox menu is available on the top panel, but, if you want the menu as it is in the screenshot, go to the Add-ons Manager and disable the Global Menu Bar extension, then restart.

If saving the web page is all you want, then you could use Ctrl+s.

Andavane
June 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
The Firefox menu is available on the top panel, but, if you want the menu as it is in the screenshot, go to the Add-ons Manager and disable the Global Menu Bar extension, then restart.

If saving the web page is all you want, then you could use Ctrl+s.

Thank you Sir,
I'm still not sure where the Add-ons Manager or the Global Menu Bar extension bar is to disable. My friend and I were scratching our heads about this, then he found that menu at the black bar on the top which flashes on when you hold your cursor there. I thought it must be part of Ubuntu 11.4, but think it must be part of firefox.... ???

My friend and I still a bit confused but getting there! :)

Kind regards,

lovinglinux
June 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you Sir,
I'm still not sure where the Add-ons Manager or the Global Menu Bar extension bar is to disable. My friend and I were scratching our heads about this, then he found that menu at the black bar on the top which flashes on when you hold your cursor there. I thought it must be part of Ubuntu 11.4, but think it must be part of firefox.... ???

My friend and I still a bit confused but getting there! :)

Kind regards,

Type about:addons in Firefox search bar to access the Add-ons Manager.

The Global Menu is part of Ubuntu, but to make it work with Firefox it needs to install an add-on on it. So, disabling the add-on is enough to prevent Firefox from using the global menu.

Keep in mind that when you First disable the global menu, you won't see the original Firefox menu bar, but the new Firefox button. You need to right-click the navigation toolbar, then then tick the "Menu Bar" option. When you do that, the Firefox button goes away and the Menu bar is displayed.

Larkspur
June 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
My friend and I were scratching our heads about this, then he found that menu at the black bar on the top which flashes on when you hold your cursor there. I thought it must be part of Ubuntu 11.4, but think it must be part of firefox.... ???

It's both! It's the menu for Firefox, but it's shown in the Ubuntu top panel. 11.04 has a global menu (if you've used a Mac, you'll have seen it before) which means that most programs now have their menus in the top panel, but don't show them unless the mouse is on the top panel itself. So you can use that if you want to save the web page.

Andavane
June 6th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Type about:addons in Firefox search bar to access the Add-ons Manager.

The Global Menu is part of Ubuntu, but to make it work with Firefox it needs to install an add-on on it. So, disabling the add-on is enough to prevent Firefox from using the global menu.

Keep in mind that when you First disable the global menu, you won't see the original Firefox menu bar, but the new Firefox button. You need to right-click the navigation toolbar, then then tick the "Menu Bar" option. When you do that, the Firefox button goes away and the Menu bar is displayed.
An Epiphany!!
Hugely grateful for this. My friend and I wouldn't have realised this in a million years!

It's both! It's the menu for Firefox, but it's shown in the Ubuntu top panel. 11.04 has a global menu (if you've used a Mac, you'll have seen it before) which means that most programs now have their menus in the top panel, but don't show them unless the mouse is on the top panel itself. So you can use that if you want to save the web page.

Yes yes, it's a realisation immediately spotted after the event. Of course before you get there it's impossible to see and I don't see where this info is recorded.

If I could use this space to squeeze in another 11.4 which really is bugging me: The Character Palette is my lifesaver. I use a lot of letters with accents and because of severe disability in my hands I found it a godsend as I can very quickly access the character I need, and I just can't get it in 11.4. (Thread on this in: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769511 )

Kind regards,

john