PDA

View Full Version : Do you wear vision glasses?

PCaddicted
June 4th, 2011, 02:12 PM
So far,I don't.

kansasnoob
June 4th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Without 'em I'm blind as a bat, in fact I'm legally blind :)

As my good buddy Ranch Hand once told me, "that's better than being illegally blind".

dozycat
June 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I did before, thanks gods of laser.:lolflag:

Alecazam3568
June 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Only for seeing far away but I wear em all the time anyway :)

3Miro
June 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I wear them only when I work on the computer as my eyes get tired otherwise.

leviathan8
June 4th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, I always wear them when on the computer.
By mistake I answered no on the poll, because I thought you were asking about 3D vision glasses, and only after that I noticed the actual subject. :(

koleoptero
June 4th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I wear contacts.

LowSky
June 4th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm near sighted. Been this way since I was very little.

IWantFroyo
June 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I've had to wear glasses full-time since I was 8. I can't stand contacts, though, so I'm looking into laser eye surgery. Can't remember the last time I could see well without glasses...

odiseo77
June 4th, 2011, 04:22 PM
I use them since I was a kid (I have myopia), and I'm also planning to have an eye surgery this year (or next year, at most).

Phrea
June 4th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Yes.
One for nearsightedness [prescription is fairly weak, but I need them because even with them I have nothing near 20/20 vision], and one special pair for the computer.

Quackers
June 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I do, sometimes, but I can never find them :wink:

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Yes, x-ray vision glasses.

I did before, thanks gods of laser.:lolflag:
I put laser goggles on my sharks.

athenroy
June 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
When you get older, and your arms just aren't long enough, you need glasses!

ratcheer
June 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I have worn glasses since I was 8 years old, so for almost 52 years.

Tim

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I was wearing tri-focal glasses that were 1 cm thick, and they were very heavy. My vision was 20/600. Then I got cataracts. After the cataract surgery, where the lenses in my eyes were replaced, I do not need glasses to see things at a distance. My vision is 20/40 now; however, I still need glasses for reading and computer work. I chose to have tri-focal glasses made to correct my vision to 20/20, allow me to read, and use the computer. They are very light weight. After wearing glasses for 53 years, the reduction in weight alone made me happy with the outcome of the surgery.

I prefer to wear the glasses all the time even though I do not need them. They hide the old-age bags under my eyes that make me look older :)

Phrea
June 4th, 2011, 08:52 PM
They hide the old-age bags under my eyes that make me look older :)

Just like your nick eh? ;)

cguy
June 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I've been wearing glasses for the last ~10 years (should've been 15 years, but I could manage without them in the beginning).

This past month I've had my first encounter with contacts and _OMG_ they are sooooo nice! :D
There's nothing like the good eyesight they provide. :)

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I had lasik surgery when they first started doing it. I was the first patient that my doctor did both eyes at once on. Now, I have to wear glasses again.

Dustin2128
June 5th, 2011, 12:41 AM
All true linux users wear glasses.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I had lasik surgery when they first started doing it. I was the first patient that my doctor did both eyes at once on. Now, I have to wear glasses again.

When my daughter had lasik I thought that this could happen.

My vision deteriorated until I was 50 years old. Then it suddenly improved just to be destroyed by the formation of cataracts after a few years. If they had lasik when I was 30 years old, my vision would have deteriorated for another 20 years; therefore, I would have been wearing glasses again.

I don't know how many times they can redo the lasik procedure.

When I got the cataract surgery they improved my vision from 20/600 to 20/40. They told me I could have lasik to get from 20/40 to 20/20. I said, no thanks.

It must be a disappointment for you to be wearing glasses again.

mgmiller
June 5th, 2011, 10:55 PM
My vision also slowly got worse most of my life till it stabilized around age 50. I was 20/400 and had all kinds of optical distortions from the thick lenses in my glasses. When I was 55 I had PRK laser surgery done. (With PRK there is no flap, so the eye remains stronger, but it takes longer to heal). After I healed, I'm 20/25 in one eye (never could get that one perfect, even with glass) and 20/20 in the other. 5 years down the road, I'm still good. Of course due to my age I now need reading glasses for close work. But the ability to drive at night or go to the movie theater without glasses is amazing. Not to mention the lack of visual distortions I used to get from my old glasses, like telephone poles bending as I pass them and blue and red color fringes around things that switch side as I turned my head from side to side. Also the floor used to heave up and down as I walked because I had the variable focus lenses. It's really amazing what the brain can adapt to. I actually felt disoriented for a few days after the surgery because all the distortions weren't there any more.

NormanFLinux
June 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I do - for driving. I see things close up without difficulty but my distance vision has been blurry for years.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 5th, 2011, 11:18 PM
...5 years down the road, I'm still good. Of course due to my age I now need reading glasses for close work. But the ability to drive at night or go to the movie theater without glasses is amazing. Not to mention the lack of visual distortions I used to get from my old glasses, like telephone poles bending as I pass them and blue and red color fringes around things that switch side as I turned my head from side to side...

I can understand that. No more of that star burst glare from the glasses when driving at night. The tunnel effect where the telephone poles, building, etc., bend around the center. I also experienced the spectrum effect where there were hallows of the color spectrum around objects. The hallows of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.

...Also the floor used to heave up and down as I walked because I had the variable focus lenses. It's really amazing what the brain can adapt to. I actually felt disoriented for a few days after the surgery because all the distortions weren't there any more...

I never could adjust to the variable lenses. I made the optometrist replace them with the old fashioned tri-focals. I fell once in my front yard when using the variable lenses. The ground wasn't where it appeared to be. It was embarrassing; because, I was carrying a 6-pack of beer at the time. Imagine this, face down on the front lawn with a 6-pack of beer in your hand. :oops:

mgmiller
June 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I can understand that. No more of that star burst glare from the glasses when driving at night. The tunnel effect where the telephone poles, building, etc., bend around the center. I also experienced the spectrum effect where there were hallows of the color spectrum around objects. The hallows of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.

When I tell people about this they find it hard to believe.

I never could adjust to the variable lenses. I made the optometrist replace them with the old fashioned tri-focals. I fell once in my front yard when using the variable lenses. The ground wasn't where it appeared to be. It was embarrassing; because, I was carrying a 6-pack of beer at the time. Imagine this, face down on the front lawn with a 6-pack of beer in your hand. :oops:

LOL! I hated the variable lenses, but did adapt to them after a while. In fact, that was the most noticeable problem I had readapting to normal vision. The floor had stopped moving. It was like getting off an ocean liner, it feels like the ground is still rocking when it isn't.

walt.smith1960
June 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM
+1 on trifocals for computer work. I got a new pair of bifocals. They were fine for reading at around 12" from my eyes but sucked for a monitor at 24"-36". I went back to the optometrist and explained my situation. They took the glasses back and replaced the lenses with trifocals. MUCH better.

mgmiller
June 6th, 2011, 12:43 AM

Speaking of the tunnel effect, Because door frames used to bow outward as I approached them, I used to strike my elbows all the time when walking through doors. That was one thing I never got used to. Of course, this is no longer a problem.

It's very important not to have Lasik or PRK until your eyes have been stable for at least 3 years or you risk having them deteriorate again necessitating glasses once more. I believe the procedure can be repeated as long as your corneas and bank account are thick enough. It's also possible, because the laser used is U.V. that there is an increased risk of cataracts if it's done more then once, but that "fact" needs to be verified to be sure.

Superkoop
June 6th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Imagine this, face down on the front lawn with a 6-pack of beer in your hand. :oops:

That is my second favorite way to enjoy a 6-pack!

I have glasses, though it's a really weak subscription and I don't really enjoy wearing them anyways... so usually I just go without unless I'm going to a movie or class; why bother seeing all of the imperfections on people when I don't have to? Perhaps I can't distinguish people from a distance, but I see this as an advantage! I always have an excuse for not seeing someone first, so if there's someone I don't want to talk to coming, and I don't wave, and I can just I didn't see them...
The only downfall is that I get headaches and my eyes get sore when I don't wear my glasses.

NightwishFan
June 6th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Yes I have terrible vision. I like how glasses look though so I am not complaining. :)

jcolyn
June 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I wear glasses but they don't have vision... :p :p :p my eyes do however....

zer010
June 6th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I used to have a pair, but they got lost somewhere and I just never replaced them. I didn't really need them so much back then, but 15 years later I could really use them for driving at night...

Kromgol
June 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Worn them since 10 years back!

Ghost|BTFH
June 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Yep, and I see some amazing visions with 'em on...

Oh wait, you mean prescription glasses? Only for reading on occasion when my arms aren't long enough.

forrestcupp
June 6th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't know how many times they can redo the lasik procedure.I reckon they can keep doing it until they've burned through your whole lens. :)

It must be a disappointment for you to be wearing glasses again.
It was kind of a disappointment at first, but that was a long time ago. That was probably around 1998. They're a lot better at it now than they were back then. I got 20/25 in my left eye and 20/40 in my right. That kind of sucked because it meant I had to train myself to have my left eye as the dominant one. Aiming a gun was hard.

The good thing about my having lasik is that at least I don't have to wear really thick glasses like I used to.

pbpersson
June 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Only when I need to see beyond the end of my nose :wink:

Elfy
June 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Only when I need to see beyond the end of my nose :wink:

I need mine to see the end of my nose :p

Started about 10 years ago or so when my arms were no longer enough to allow me to focus on books :)

aaaantoine
June 6th, 2011, 04:44 PM
I've had a glasses prescription for nearsightedness since 7th grade, which puts me at about 12 or 13 years old when I first had them.

I only wear them as needed, but if I'm up and about (e.g. not in front of a computer) I tend to have them on more often than not.