PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity has made my life hell

82_28
June 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
No offense guys, but Unity blows not only on my machine, but those who do not get any of this in the first place -- namely my parents who I prodded to install Linux and simplify their lives by getting off MSFT products. Why in the hell would you do a sea change in the UI and at least not warn these people that things are now going to look different after they commit to the install?

IMO, that age old maxim that Linux has become so easy your mom can use it has been set back substantially by what Canonical decided to do with 11.04. It has made my life exponentially more difficult, not only with my machine, but various other machines of other people who I must now help one by one to get their computers back to how they want it.

Please, Canonical, can we come up with an easy fix to this other than booting into "classic" mode? Things are still not working right after my 10.10 to 11.04 upgrade on my new machine and I'm sick of trying to figure out why. I've jumped through the hoops of Linux's "olden days" and am familiar with Linux troubleshooting. I've used various distros for 10 years exclusively. Exclusively a Linux user since 2001. But 10.10 worked in ways I'd never seen in a distro -- as in awesome. Then you went and broke it. I know all of this can be configured by me, but UGH!

BlueDon
June 4th, 2011, 12:25 PM
might seem an obvious thing to say, and misses the essence of your point, but why not put people you recommend Linux to on an LTS and try out the 6 monthly releases on yours. Giving you a chance to a. see if it's any good, and b. iron out any troubles you may have.

mörgæs
June 4th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I understand your frustration. When 10.10 is out of support, I am switching to Xubuntu.