PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] can i install linux on mobile?

ehsango
June 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
hi friends
can i install Linux on mobile?
which mobiles can run Linux?

sanderd17
June 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Almost all mobiles can run Linux if you hack your way through the securities that the manufacturers build in. So running Linux on a phone is no easy point and click or copy-paste procedure.

Unless off coarse if you buy a phone that already has Linux on it (an Android phone or a Nokia Meamo) or some popular phones that have been hacked already (I think there must be a way to run Linux on windows phones).

But you should know that Linux does not equal Ubuntu or another distro. Linux is just the kernel and nothing else. So it won't be easy to get applications on it (you may even have difficulties to get a terminal on it).

I have an Android, and since it is rooted, I can fully control it via the terminal (so it feels really like Linux) and there is even an app that lets you install Ubuntu. But I don't have enough memory to run Ubunu, so I didn't try it.

I suggest you to look on the XDA forums and see what phones are hacked in what way. The Ubuntu forum is not a forum about phones since Ubuntu doesn't run well (or at all) on phones.