PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to schedule Disk Check at startup?

KonfuseKitty
June 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
When I was using Lucid 10.04, after every 100 startups, the Disk Check would automatically run on startup. Since I upgraded to Maverick 10.10, this seems to happen a lot less frequently. Where is the setting so I can set this back to every 100 startups? (Or even less, I would set it to 20.)

KonfuseKitty
June 5th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Bump. Or should I repost this in General Help? I might have picked the wrong forum.

wildmanne39
June 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
When I was using Lucid 10.04, after every 100 startups, the Disk Check would automatically run on startup. Since I upgraded to Maverick 10.10, this seems to happen a lot less frequently. Where is the setting so I can set this back to every 100 startups? (Or even less, I would set it to 20.)Hi, this is the command to get it to run the next time you start the system.

sudo touch /forcefsckIt is suppose to check every 30 times it starts, but if you hit the button earlier to get it to boot quicker it will skip it. I do not know how to change the setting.

KonfuseKitty
June 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the tip, it worked. If anyone knows how to change the startup setting, please post.

Rubi1200
June 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hi,
you can use this command to check the mount count (last and current) and next check:

sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sdXY | grep -i -e "mount count" -e "check"change XY to reflect your partition e.g. sda1

To change the default value, which is every 30 mounts, use this command:

sudo tune2fs -c 50 /dev/sdXYIn this example, the value is 50 but you can change it to pretty much whatever you want.

In my opinion, you should not change the defaults, but if you must I recommend not setting it lower than 20 and not higher than 50.

KonfuseKitty
June 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Great, that's what I needed. I've set it to 20 and also noted there's an -i(nterval) option, set to 6 months, and I changed it to 1 month. I must say I was surprised that the Mount Count was set to 27 on root partition and 22 on home partition. I thought it was set a lot higher, as the checks have been very rare. I'll see how it goes now that I've changed it. Problem solved. :)

Rubi1200
June 7th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Excellent, I am glad you found this useful for dealing with your situation.

Enjoy :)