PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity upgrade inconsistent behavior

xanthian
June 4th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I installed Ubuntu two ways, both by partitioning the hard drive and installing Ubuntu in its own partition, and also where the "run within Windows" option was available.

I then upgraded both to Ubuntu 11.04.

When I start Ubuntu in the "own partition" installation, Unity runs without complaint.

When I start Ubuntu in the "run within Windows" installation, Unity baulks, giving an error message that I don't have some (unspecified) of the hardware it needs to run, and I am kicked back to the classic Ubuntu control screen setup.

Obviously the two ways to install Ubuntu don't result in it having the same behavior.

Any clue what it is that I need to do to fix this?

Alternately, since the version installed to "run within Windows" seems to do no such thing, and also gobbled up almost all the free space in my Windows-7 partition without prior warning, any clue how to uninstall that version cleanly?

xanthian.
Kent Paul Dolan, xanthian@well.com

bulldog
June 4th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I installed Ubuntu two ways, both by partitioning the hard drive and installing Ubuntu in its own partition, and also where the "run within Windows" option was available.

I then upgraded both to Ubuntu 11.04.

When I start Ubuntu in the "own partition" installation, Unity runs without complaint.

When I start Ubuntu in the "run within Windows" installation, Unity baulks, giving an error message that I don't have some (unspecified) of the hardware it needs to run, and I am kicked back to the classic Ubuntu control screen setup.

Obviously the two ways to install Ubuntu don't result in it having the same behavior.

Any clue what it is that I need to do to fix this?

Alternately, since the version installed to "run within Windows" seems to do no such thing, and also gobbled up almost all the free space in my Windows-7 partition without prior warning, any clue how to uninstall that version cleanly?

xanthian.
Kent Paul Dolan, xanthian@well.com

In my understanding,I never used ubuntu in windows,it should be a folder on your windows.
Just remove the folder should be enough to get rid of it.

In another tread I saw this link,maybe it's useful:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10900224&postcount=3