PDA

View Full Version : openshot screwed me over >.<

fremantle
June 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
arghh... so frustrated right now. i had a project to submit before midnight today (which is right now) and i chose to do it on my ubuntu machine. i was bragging all about it to people who were using imovie and what not. so i selected openshot, which is supposedly the best in the biz. i had the same impression of it too, but now i am hopeless. i started at 5pm today, the video was done at 7pm, i started the rendering at 7.10pm with preset vimeo-sd-widescreed with MED quality. it took almost 3 hours and 40 minutes to get done, and when i played it to test- the audio was missing right after the first transition effect. the rest of the video had no sound whatsoever, and the transitions stayed frozen for 3-5 seconds every time. and now i have no time to re-render, and the deadline is over. thank you openshot and ubuntu, <snip>.

Thewhistlingwind
June 4th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Play the audio in audacity in sync.;)

I've done this before....

Dustin2128
June 4th, 2011, 05:11 AM
cinelerra is actually the current premier linux video editor... but it is one field in which we are lacking.

Artemis3
June 4th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Don't brag before you have the actual result...
And don't leave things for last minute. Could have been a simple mistake on your part which had nothing to do with either tool or OS.

If it was a bug, would be more productive to talk to the openshot ppl.

smellyman
June 4th, 2011, 05:38 AM
kdenlive is also better than openshot

fremantle
June 4th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Don't brag before you have the actual result...
And don't leave things for last minute. Could have been a simple mistake on your part which had nothing to do with either tool or OS.

If it was a bug, would be more productive to talk to the openshot ppl.

i know that, im not complaining, just sharing my experience and emotions over here at the community cafe.

koleoptero
June 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Indeed whoever told you that openshot is the best should be shot. (And I can imagine which site that was)

ssam
June 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM
also a new version of pitivi just came out.

Legendary_Bibo
June 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I prefer Pitivi. Openshot has a prettier UI, but I find it rather crappy, and has too many issues. For one thing audio desynch happens less on Pitivi for me than OpenShot.

Zero2Nine
June 4th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I prefer Pitivi. Openshot has a prettier UI, but I find it rather crappy, and has too many issues. For one thing audio desynch happens less on Pitivi for me than OpenShot.

I agree with you on the UI but Pitivi is very limited, it lacks some very basic video editing functions (at least the version I've tried, the one that shipped with 10.10).

Legendary_Bibo
June 4th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I agree with you on the UI but Pitivi is very limited, it lacks some very basic video editing functions (at least the version I've tried, the one that shipped with 10.10).

The most I do is attach video clips together, and change audio. If I did it with Openshot I'd have audio desynch if I did it too much/fast and then I'd have to restart it, and that fixed the issue half the time. I can't recall if it had a lot of transition effects, I believe it had some basic ones, but I never used those a lot.

It's certainly no Sony Vegas, but it'll do, and I'm sure you could achieve the same results with some creativity and the used of other tools.

koleoptero
June 4th, 2011, 12:42 PM
That's why most people prefer kdenlive.

ssam
June 4th, 2011, 12:51 PM

0.14 has effects.

http://thiblahute.blogspot.com/2011/05/pitivi-014-no-longer-kills-kittens.html

kaldor
June 4th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Linux lacks easy/simple to use video editing software. Cinelerra's good, but it isn't really something an average person will want to use.

I was experimenting with them for a while, and they all crashed constantly. Kdenlive, Openshot, Pitivi etc. I wouldn't trust doing any video editing on Linux if I had a deadline to meet, which really is a shame.

NightwishFan
June 4th, 2011, 05:44 PM
When I use openshot (on debian) it crashes every once in a while, but renders very fast and looks fine. Pitivi I am unable to get it to output anything good looking because you have to sort through dozens of parameters. Kdenlive I have not tried since it converted to KDE4. As long as it no longer crashes every few moments I am sure it will do fine. ;)

Basically give kdenlive a try.

tgm4883
June 4th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I find it hard to believe the OP isn't complaining with a title of "openshot screwed me over >.<"

That said, Openshot? Pfffft. KDenLive or Pitivi FTW.

NightwishFan
June 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Trying Pitivi 0.14 from Debian Unstable. It seems pretty nice!

fremantle
June 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM
im trying kdenlive right now. whats the difference between linear and non-linear?

tadcan
June 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
linear editing shouldn't apply to editing on computers, as it means you have you place the clips from start to finish. Non-linear means that you can move clips around and place them anywhere on the timeline.

I edited a ten second piece with five edits. Openshot was simple enough, but not great when you want to get edit after a clip is on the timeline. Kdnlive allows you to expand or contract a clip on the timeline and shows you markers for each frame that is handy for fine tuning a cut.

I might try the same sequence in cinelerra as a comparison.

Quadunit404
June 4th, 2011, 09:34 PM
This is why I use Windows for video production (as well as gaming and sometimes schoolwork.) Linux currently lacks a very powerful, but easy-to-use, video editor. On Windows you get Sony Vegas, Pinnacle Studio 14, Lightworks (which is supposed to be ported over to Linux and OS X later this year, btw), Adobe Premiere and so on and so forth - what do they all have in common? They're all used in the production of movies (e.g. Vegas has been used in many documentaries.) On OS X you got iMovie, Final Cut Pro, Lightworks (eventually) Media 100 and so on. On Linux you got... PiTiVi, OpenShot, Kdenlive, Avidemux, LiVES, Cinelerra, Kino and eventually Lightworks. The only one that is competent right now is so far... Kdenlive, although when Lightworks is ported to Linux (likely by the thousands of developers that signed up after the editor was released as open-source) this might change.

Swagman
June 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM
I think OpenShot is pretty damn good for a free NLE

I've posted this before but.. whatever... Daughters little vid edited with OS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szFtXANACNI

Legendary_Bibo
June 5th, 2011, 12:00 AM
What I meant by being creative is that while most paid for programs are offered as complete packages, you can achieve the same results with Linux applications, but you're going to have to combine several. For one thing Pitivi doesn't render in anything besides theora video (or at least I couldn't figure out how to change it), but it wasn't an issue because I could just go into Handbrake and convert it and I've never had a loss of quality, or issues. I have to convert them for Youtube because Youtube doesn't seem to like theora videos.