PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] after install root partition is too small!

griztown
June 4th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Hi all,

I made a significant mistake. When I installed Ubuntu and partitioned my hard disks, I made the root partition rather small. Well, I should say it is either my root partition or my boot partition that is too small. Boot is around 400 MB and root is around 500 MB. Now I can't run any updates since it runs out of disk space, primarily with kernel updates. The root partition is on a logical volume so I'm hoping I can resize it. Could anyone offer any advice on how to do this?

Thanks in advance!

garvinrick4
June 4th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Take a screenshot of "gparted" and post it here. Use the little paperclip to upload
the screenshot. If do not have gparted installed:

sudo apt-get install gparted

griztown
June 4th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Thanks for your help!

griztown
June 4th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Sorry posted that too soon. As you can see, there may be something else going on.

garvinrick4
June 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Sorry I do not use Raid maybe someone else will be along that does.

griztown
June 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks Rick. If anyone has experience resizing logical volumes on a RAID partition, I'd be much obliged.

griztown
June 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM
Hoping someone has some experience with resizing LVM partitions in a RAID configurations

fixitdude
June 9th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Don't know about raid, but when you use gparted you have to select "swap off", then delete the swap partition stuff, and make room for some empty space, then you can expand the root partition and then put swap back, leave room for it of course, or make it bigger just for fun. Write everything down on how it WAS configured of course.

Depending on your raid configuration, isn't one of the drives just a copy of the other? So couldn't you do this to one drive and then copy it to the other one and then turn raid back on? Is one drive the "master" ?

stracky
June 9th, 2011, 03:49 AM
With the little knowledge i have about partitions, I'll put my 2 cents in

You should just be able to boot a Live CD and use gparted to resize/move the other partitions over to create free space, then expand the small partition into the new free space

Just to be safe, I would restart after each change, to make un-doing easier

I know nothing of RAID, so this my not work

Can you post what type of RAID it is? [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels)]