PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Belkin Play N600 HD USB drive

gambothell
June 3rd, 2011, 10:01 PM
Hi All -

I purchased a Belkin Play N600 HD router, which is a dual band router. This router has two usb ports that you can hook a printer or usb hd to. Belkin states that they do not support Linux (odd since the router runs Linux). I was having a heck of a time trying to connect to the usb hd from my Ubuntu 11.04. I called Belkin tech support and was told curtly that they would not help me because they do not support Linux. Sigh.

After some investigation I got it working. By the way, it runs better under Ubuntu then Windows Vista... This is what you must do:

1. Make sure you have Samba installed properly. Follow the instructions in:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149&highlight=smb+ports
2. Click on Places and Network to open Nautilus.
3. Click on the menu GO and select Location
4. Type: smb://ip_addr/hd_name
Example: In Windows my usb drive is labeled Seagate_Replica(A1) and my router address is 192.168.2.1, so the smb is: smb://192.168.2.1/seagate_resplica(a1)

You should now see the usb hd mounted where you can get to your music, pictures etc.:)

Also: when you want to mount the usb hd again, when you click on GO, you will see the smb link in the history at the bottom of the dialog.

nightbeing86
July 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Hey,

thanks very much for the info. I'm considering getting that router and already suspected that beneath Belkin's Windows-only storage tool there's nothing but old SMB/CIFS at work :)

Have you tried setting up a printer? Because I'd really need that functionality as well. And Belkin does of course say that it's Win/Mac only, just like with USB storage.

silvertuna
July 29th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have the same question. I tried the following string (lifted the name of the printer off a MacBook path that worked), but no luck.

smb://192.168.2.1/usb://Hewlett-Packard/HP%20LaserJet%201022?serial=JM0154W

nightbeing86
August 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
@silvertuna

what happens if you just enter the IP of your router as host in the New Printer setup wizard and let it search for whatever kind of networked printer it might find?

This worked for me with the old router I might want to replace with the Belkin...

gambothell
August 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
I have not installed a printer on my router, but for a usb drive, you do not put usb in the location; just enter the ip address/disk-name or printer name.

I have found an issue with the router. As posted earlier, I have a seagate 2tb usb drive connected. When I update data on the drive, sometimes the drive will not reflect the changes unless I unplug the usb and replug it. I do not know if the problem is with Belkin or with Seagate. Anyone else run into this issure with a usb drive on this router?