PDA

View Full Version : The next Ubuntu LTS release?

PCaddicted
June 3rd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Which is going to be the next Ubuntu long term support release?

wolfen69
June 3rd, 2011, 09:27 PM
April 2012.

MK-Ultra
June 3rd, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hope they have all the Unity kinks worked out by then!

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 12:29 AM
It will be Gnome 3. This Unity stuff is for netbook users.

qamelian
June 4th, 2011, 12:36 AM
It will be Gnome 3. This Unity stuff is for netbook users.
No, it will be Unity on top of the Gnome 3 software stack. There is not separate netbook release anymore.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM
How many people use netbooks with Ubuntu? That many?

qamelian
June 4th, 2011, 12:41 AM
How many people use netbooks with Ubuntu? That many?
It has nothing to do with how many users have netbooks with Ubuntu. The powers that be simply decided that Unity was the new default face of Ubuntu. There is no longer Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Netbook Editions. It's Just Ubuntu and Ubuntu Server now.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
They will learn the error of this direction probably, since most Ubuntu users prefer Gnome.

wojox
June 4th, 2011, 12:53 AM
They will learn the error of this direction probably, since most Ubuntu users prefer Gnome.

What part of Gnome 3 stack did you not understand?

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I talking about the default environment guys.

The Unity theme obviously replaces the netbook remix. I would never use that on a day to day work basis on a full desktop computer. Neither will most serious Linux users either. I'm old school. But let's force everyone to default automatically into a netbook remix-like environment when you will have Gnome 3 environment to use instead soon? Riiiight. :) lol

wojox
June 4th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I talking about the default environment guys.

The Unity theme obviously replaces the netbook remix. I would never use that on a day to day work basis on a full desktop computer. Neither will most serious Linux users either. I'm old school. But force everyone to use a netbook remix-like environment when you will have Gnome 3 environment to use instead?

Unity is just a Compiz plugin. All you have to do is not enable it.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I tried that. Then I realised that I don't want any Unity on my system. Switched my session to Classic Ubuntu (Gnome 2), and removed all of Unity completely. I'm happy now. Maybe if I had a netbook or a tablet or liked apple ipads or something.. I'm all good here. :) No worries. :)

wolfgar
June 4th, 2011, 02:48 AM
Which is going to be the next Ubuntu long term support release?

I am wondering what is going to happen with the more experienced user of Ubuntu and their Distribution's? Are they going to change because they hate Unity and Gnome 3? Will Linux Mint, Ultimate Edition, and other's user's next Distribution be base on Debian instead of Ubuntu?

This is going to be very interesting to see what happens with the other distributions, will they follow Ubuntu Lead or will Ubuntu loose it's user base due to Unity, and Gnome 3?

Some Linux User's hate Unity, they call it a "Kiddie Window's!" Anyone for going back to Microsoft Windows, Ubuntu seems to be wanting to give the look and appeal of Microsoft Windows?

Is loosing the more experienced Linux users worth the risk of gaining a few now Linux Users? We may be in the decline of Ubuntu as a major Linux Distribution.

Only time will tell...

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Those are interesting points. We will have to wait and see for now. Debian has become increasingly more popular as an alternative, esp with Crunchbang Statler XFCE and Openbox for advanced users. What's really faster than that too? :)

It would be cool to see a Debian UE.