PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Microphone's don't work properly.

Linux_Geek_595
June 3rd, 2011, 09:19 PM
I run ubuntu 10.10 with an 870-g45 motherboard which contains a VIA VT1828S integrated sound chip with 8 audio channels as it states on Newegg.com
I am having issues with getting microphones to work properly on my computer. Sound output works great but microphones don't. I've noticed when I tested mic's on the sound configuration it would act like it gets input but it would be choppy or laggy sound. Anytime i talk to people on voice chat they say my voice sounds like it keeps clipping in and out and they can't understand a thing I say. I have tried looking on google but any fix I looked at didn't seem to work for me. I don't know if it's motherboard related but I'm hoping I can get this issue resolved. Thanks

lidex
June 4th, 2011, 03:53 AM
Use the alsa-info-script to provide detailed information.
Run this command in a terminal:

wget http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-info.sh -O alsa-info.sh && bash alsa-info.sh
Choose the upload option and provide a link for the output.
[Terminal="Applications->Accessories->Terminal"]

Linux_Geek_595
June 5th, 2011, 03:48 AM
here is the output that was uploaded:

http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3d60ca3c8d825cea8af617fa7b5f95bf77f3c81b

lidex
June 5th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Which input are we talking about, internal mic or external?
You should try with a non-pae kernel just to rule that out, I
have seen recent issues.

Linux_Geek_595
June 6th, 2011, 04:57 AM
It's an external mic being plugged into a Port. Speaking of pae... Don't I need that if I have more than 4 gb if ram? (I have 12gb at the moment.)

lidex
June 8th, 2011, 02:02 AM
It's an external mic being plugged into a Port. Speaking of pae... Don't I need that if I have more than 4 gb if ram? (I have 12gb at the moment.)
Yes, for 32 bit, but I have seen recent issues surrounding a pae kernel so just try your stock kernel to rule it out.

Linux_Geek_595
June 9th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I don't mean to sound newbish but how do i do that on a 32-bit Ubuntu?