PDA

View Full Version : Best way to completely destroy your computer!?

hakermania
June 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
I have a very very old pc and me and a friend of mine really want to completely destroy it :)

We have used already some fork bombs but what they actually do is to crash the system, while we want to make the entire PC and Hard Disk not accessible....
Could we do something to the BIOS or a hardware-type damage to the hard disk?

thx in advance to any answers!

simeon87
June 3rd, 2011, 08:40 PM
Physically destroy the hard disk if you wish to be certain that the data can never be recovered. Even with software that repeatedly writes random data on your hard disk, I think destroying the hard disk is the only way to be certain.

Barrucadu
June 3rd, 2011, 08:59 PM
You can use DBAN, it has disk-wiping up to the standards of the US Department of Defence.

memilanuk
June 4th, 2011, 01:03 AM
http://www.tannerite.com/

ThatCoolGuy220
June 4th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Wow!

sammiev
June 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM
I use a 12v battery charger and slowly drag the positive connect across the legs of the chips on the HD. Be sure to do it in an open area as a closed area will full with white smoke quickly! GL :)

tgm4883
June 4th, 2011, 05:31 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-51-621-16-Ounce-Fiberglass-Hammer/dp/B000VSMJCS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307161840&sr=8-1

Jeremywilms
June 4th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Seems like a lame way to destroy your computer.

Writing a bootloader purely for the purpose of corrupting your drive wouldn't be too difficult; I'm sure there are some fairly basic BIOS interrupts you can use. It wouldn't be the easiest of ways to ruin your computer, but hey, its a lot more interesting than downloading one that does it for you.

lisati
June 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Perhaps the Mythbusters will be able to conjure up an explosion or other suitably entertaining way of dealing with this. :D

Off Topic
June 4th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Blow torch and a 10 ton press.

ThatCoolGuy220
June 4th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Or new year explosives:

LOL my uncle brought dinamyte the last year it exploded the hell out of the dummy but idk if it will work

Petrolea
June 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Overclocking :D

nzjethro
June 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'd try a baseball bat.

PaulM1985
June 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
How about leaving it near a 3 year old kid and a open jar of jam and looking away for 20 seconds? That might be the quickest.

ThatCoolGuy220
June 4th, 2011, 01:17 PM
You can always toss it to the toilet!

hakermania
June 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Omg, flood of replies :P I want actually to destroy it using a kind of software, this will be more exciting :)

Overclocking is a good idea but i don't have any idea how to do it...

ThatCoolGuy220
June 4th, 2011, 01:23 PM
DBAN seems the best option for this I guess

m_duck
June 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Certainly not the cheapest option, but: shred it! (http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/)

Petrolea
June 4th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Omg, flood of replies :P I want actually to destroy it using a kind of software, this will be more exciting :)

In BIOS raise the FSB :D.

nvteighen
June 4th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Install Windows Me on it.

sammiev
June 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
install windows me on it.

lmao!

73ckn797
June 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM

Install Windows with no virus protection and visit untrusted web sites. Shouldn't take very long to mess things up.

jon zendatta
June 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
nvclock
rovclock

sammiev
June 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
but really now, the best way to destroy your computer is to give it to my wife. She has been doing it for years! :popcorn:

Simian Man
June 4th, 2011, 09:30 PM

How is software more exciting than torching it or blowing it up???

ThatCoolGuy220
June 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
but really now, the best way to destroy your computer is to give it to my wife. She has been doing it for years! :popcorn:

Nuff Said.

hakermania
June 4th, 2011, 10:29 PM
How is software more exciting than torching it or blowing it up???

Well if we do such a thing we will be punished for a year or two xD :P

Petrolea
June 5th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Well if we do such a thing we will be punished for a year or two xD :P

Overclocking can cause smoke and burning and explosions also ;)

t1497f35
June 5th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have a very very old pc and me and a friend of mine really want to completely destroy it :)

Ask SledgeHammer_999 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=76221)
I think the nick speaks for itself.

ziekfiguur
June 5th, 2011, 07:12 PM
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

hakermania
June 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda

Nice!!! Will this destroy the hard drive?

Petrolea
June 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Probably not REALLY destroy it.

ziekfiguur
June 5th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Not really destroy, to do that you would have to write some specialized software. It will overwrite the complete drive with random data, so you won't be able to boot anymore. It's about the same as what DBAN does, only DBAN does it more often to be sure there is no trace of the original data left.

If you really want the drive to stop functioning, you would have to do something that makes the reading arm move back and forth a lot, very fast and make the drives spin and brake very fast, untill the hardware wears out.

hakermania
June 5th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Not really destroy, to do that you would have to write some specialized software. It will overwrite the complete drive with random data, so you won't be able to boot anymore. It's about the same as what DBAN does, only DBAN does it more often to be sure there is no trace of the original data left.

If you really want the drive to stop functioning, you would have to do something that makes the reading arm move back and forth a lot, very fast and make the drives spin and brake very fast, untill the hardware wears out.

I hope i could do this :P

3xp10r3r|X13
June 5th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Update your BIOS and pull the cable out of the plug while it is still updating.
I promise you, you can throw your main board away. (Your BIOS won't be working anymore)

hakermania
June 5th, 2011, 08:08 PM
I promise you, you can throw your main board away. (Your BIOS won't be working anymore)

Nice, this means that there is a software-way to completely destroy the BIOS. So, this means that software CAN have access to the BIOS and destroy it. Is this correct?

CoffeeRain
June 5th, 2011, 08:50 PM
It depends on to what extent. Would
nohup sudo rm -R / work?

ziekfiguur
June 5th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Nice, this means that there is a software-way to completely destroy the BIOS. So, this means that software CAN have access to the BIOS and destroy it. Is this correct?

Yes, check out coreboot. Ubuntu has a package grub-coreboot. I have never tried anything like this, but i think you could just corrupt the binary file that gets uploaded to your bios to break it. However, this will only destroy the motherboard, not the harddrive.

To do the harddrive breaking you would probably have to do some very low level assembly coding to access the hardware directly, instead of using kernel functions.

ziekfiguur
June 5th, 2011, 08:57 PM
It depends on to what extent. Would
nohup sudo rm -R / work?
this would only remove file references, the MBR would still be intact even though the kernel image would not be found. It wouldn't be too hard to restore most files on the harddrive if you can boot from a live CD.

Petrolea
June 5th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Well, that is an efficient way to kill it. But still, nothing will actually be destroyed.
For that you should really make disc go nuts. Maybe Google can find something, but destroying it with software can be hard (especially if you want it to be fast).

PapaGary
June 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
45 ACP ball.

Want to make certain? Shoot it twice.

jsthrower
June 5th, 2011, 11:02 PM
where is the button to start a new thread ...tired of looking