PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Blank screen on boot but no GRUB

CyClyst
June 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Hello all

I know this is a very common problem ( and I have had it myself) but I am having some troubles

I recently wanted to install ubuntu 11.04 on my computer (which had vista on it and I wanted to just completely wipe that out). After the install I noticed that my monitor would not receive signal during boot (I heard the little drum noise but my monitor said no signal). So I tried following these instructions (which have worked in the past):

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2010/05/06/ubuntu-10-04-lucid-blank-screen-at-startup-workaround/

but when I boot the computer I don't have a GRUB menu! It just automaically starts booting ubuntu 11.04. Is this because that is the only OS I have installed? Did I do something wrong? What can I do to fix the problem?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

Quackers
June 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hold down the shift key whilst booting. This should make the grub menu appear.

jramshu
June 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Hello all

but when I boot the computer I don't have a GRUB menu! It just automaically starts booting ubuntu 11.04. Is this because that is the only OS I have installed? Did I do something wrong? What can I do to fix the problem?

Common when only one OS is in grub. Do what quakers said to get to the grub menu.