PDA

View Full Version : How do I report an op in IRC?

infinitybot
June 3rd, 2011, 03:01 PM
Hi guys,
I have this guy called ******(I dont want to tell the name) who banned me for 96 hours on IRC for giving wrong advice to someone (Sorry!) , After 96 hours I asked him that If I could be un-banned , But he banned me on the #ubuntu and #ubuntu-offtopic (My favourite) too!
According to him the ban is now extended for 1 month (:confused:) , As according to him , is because as I am going on my vacations for 1 month (which is true)
But the point is : - There are few hours left before I am departing so at least I can be on IRC for some time , But He says no. He also says that if I request again I will be banned for 2 months.
THIS IS BAD!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Somebody can please tell me how to report this op as I regard it Admin abuse....

jhonan
June 3rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
Report him to the IRC High Council. They oversee issues like this, and have the authority to dock wages from the ops, and in extreme cases, dismiss them.

Joking, of course.

In seriousness, by the time this is 'reported' you'll be already on your holidays. My advise is to chill out, enjoy your holiday, and keep things in perspective. Really... one channel on IRC in one corner of the internet. How important is it, really?

del_diablo
June 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
IRC chan admins are completely unaccountable.
And it annoys the **** out of me.

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
irc chan admins are completely unaccountable.
And it annoys the **** out of me.

This.

Sorry dude, just try and calm down, then enjoy your vacation, it's just IRC.
(Or go join the fedora/gentoo/linux/etc IRC's, interesting discussions abound all the time on freenode.)

samalex
June 3rd, 2011, 08:49 PM
The OP can do pretty much what they want, it's not a democracy, but if you really feel like you were crapped on visit #defocus and #freenode (assuming this is in Freenode) and talk to those guys. You can also /msg another OP in the channel, tell them what happened, and maybe they'll unban you. Maybe the person who did the banning has a wrap for doing such things and another OP will let you back in.

And if all else fails depending on how the ban was implemented either change your Nick or release your DHCP lease to get a new IP which will have you appearing as a completely new user. Or find one of the free shell accounts and go through that way. Granted a Channel isn't Invite Only there are lots of ways to get back in.

RJ12
June 3rd, 2011, 09:16 PM
The OP can do pretty much what they want, it's not a democracy, but if you really feel like you were crapped on visit #defocus and #freenode (assuming this is in Freenode) and talk to those guys. You can also /msg another OP in the channel, tell them what happened, and maybe they'll unban you. Maybe the person who did the banning has a wrap for doing such things and another OP will let you back in.

And if all else fails depending on how the ban was implemented either change your Nick or release your DHCP lease to get a new IP which will have you appearing as a completely new user. Or find one of the free shell accounts and go through that way. Granted a Channel isn't Invite Only there are lots of ways to get back in.

^^ Be careful with this, it is sometimes refered to as Ban-Evasion and can get you in a lot of trouble.

Gremlinzzz
June 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hi guys,
I have this guy called ******(I dont want to tell the name) who banned me for 96 hours on IRC for giving wrong advice to someone (Sorry!) , After 96 hours I asked him that If I could be un-banned , But he banned me on the #ubuntu and #ubuntu-offtopic (My favourite) too!
According to him the ban is now extended for 1 month (:confused:) , As according to him , is because as I am going on my vacations for 1 month (which is true)
But the point is : - There are few hours left before I am departing so at least I can be on IRC for some time , But He says no. He also says that if I request again I will be banned for 2 months.
Somebody can please tell me how to report this op as I regard it Admin abuse....

giving wrong advice to someone / Did you do this with malicious intent? What were the results of your bad advice?
Did you insult or bad mouth the op?:)

mips
June 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM
This has nothing to do with the forums so move on.

t0p
June 4th, 2011, 12:22 AM
This has nothing to do with the forums so move on.

This is in the Community Cafe, not Forum Feedback or a support forum. So it's not off-topic.

OP, I suggest you just accept the situation. Your vacation isn't going to be spoilt by an IRC ban. Well, I think it wouldn't be. There's a lot you can do IRL on vacation!

Dustin2128
June 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM
^^ Be careful with this, it is sometimes refered to as Ban-Evasion and can get you in a lot of trouble.
But what good is that when you can evade the ban-evasion ban?

t0p
June 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
But what good is that when you can evade the ban-evasion ban?

Ban evasion is a tricky stunt to pull off. You will need to use the Force ("I'm not the user you are looking for")!

Dustin2128
June 4th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Ban evasion is a tricky stunt to pull off. You will need to use the Force "I'm not the user you are looking for"!

Yes, but if you are among the force sensitive population that can pull off ban evasions, what can they do to you besides pointlessly banning you?

Bandit
June 4th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Many of the Mods here are the same Mods there. At least on the #ubuntu channel.

That being said "99%" of the mods here are great people. But if one makes a call on something, none of them will challenge the call.

I dont want to sound like a Mod hater, as like a said most of the Mods here are great wonderful people. But there should be a way to challenge a call made on you. Even in real life if you get a traffic ticket you have the right to challenge it and try to persuade your argument to a judge. Doesnt mean it will get overturned, but at least you dont feel like you just ran up on a pissed off Judge Dread who is judge, jury and executioner and no one else to hear you plea.

cariboo
June 4th, 2011, 05:25 AM

That being said "99%" of the mods here are great people. But if one makes a call on something, none of them will challenge the call.

I dont want to sound like a Mod hater, as like a said most of the Mods here are great wonderful people. But there should be a way to challenge a call made on you. Even in real life if you get a traffic ticket you have the right to challenge it and try to persuade your argument to a judge. Doesnt mean it will get overturned, but at least you dont feel like you just ran up on a pissed off Judge Dread who is judge, jury and executioner and no one else to hear you plea.

If you have a problem with a moderator, there is always the Resolution Center (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123), or if you don't want to air your complaint where everyone can see it, contact the Forum Council (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncil).

For problems on IRC there is always the IRC Council (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil)

Dustin2128
June 4th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Report him to the IRC High Council. They oversee issues like this, and have the authority to dock wages from the ops, and in extreme cases, dismiss them.

For problems on IRC there is always the IRC Council (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil)
:lolflag:

Bandit
June 4th, 2011, 05:29 AM
If you have a problem with a moderator, there is always the Resolution Center (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123), or if you don't want to air your complaint where everyone can see it, contact the Forum Council (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ForumCouncil).

Good info.

Like I said. Most all of you are great wonderful people that I like and have no issues with. So please dont ban me :D

lisati
June 4th, 2011, 05:34 AM
The are one or two good suggestions in this thread. My $0.01 worth of advice is to see if you can get this situation resolved without the need to evade the ban.

del_diablo
June 4th, 2011, 05:53 PM
You should visit the blender chan.
It has 1 operator, and hence when that operator does anything, you are screwed no matter what.
No matter how unreasonable the ban was, the operator is not accountable.
It is better on chans where there are always 3-4 operators always present, but that does not mean they are accountable.

forrestcupp
June 4th, 2011, 06:09 PM
This is about like asking "Who do I report a guy to that yelled at me in the store yesterday?" It's IRC. Nobody's going to do anything about it.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:46 PM
giving wrong advice to someone / Did you do this with malicious intent? What were the results of your bad advice?
Did you insult or bad mouth the op?:)

I was called a liar and when I presented evidence to the contrary I was told that they would not consider it.
Then I was told to admit I understood i was wrong and that I was lying, even though I have the transcripts proving otherwise. The implication was that i either kowtow or get banned. I told them I would never say that because it is a lie and either drop it or ban me so they did. They kids are out of control, they have no moral code,no semblance of integrity whatsoever and when someone tells me that Ubuntu is mostly for geeks who think that those who aren't are less than dogs I can only say that only really applies to the ones in charge.
I would never let my children use the irc channel , it is unfit and the example of those ops is contrary to what I would want my children to emulate.
bill Gates should pay them for promoting windows so well.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Good info.

Like I said. Most all of you are great wonderful people that I like and have no issues with. So please dont ban me :D
I seriously doubt that there is any reason to do so, the actions are so off the wall, so blatant, that those in authority must have decided to allow it.

frank cox
June 26th, 2011, 11:56 PM

I really don't care hoe 'good' a person is. If they support wrong doing by refusing to take a stand such as the mods who never challenge each other makes them all equally wrong. In fact the
'good' ones are worse because they conscientiously choose to do what they know in their hearts is wrong.
The "bad" ones just don't care.

American cannot survive a loss of personal integrity, it seems the writing is on the wall. Our system requires a nation of people who hold honor above saftey , above wealth, above life itself.

JamesProg
September 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sorry you have had such a terrible time(and others that have done a search and ended up here). It would be so much better for the Ubuntu projects and Linux in general, if we had a way to improve the quality of IRC admins/sysops because the IRC ends up being a vital part of the process of making the Linux user experience possible. So many people answered you by saying you should "take off 2 months". That is not acceptable. I have worked in the Linux dev community for many years now-- from predominantly Unix days and I can't say I know an answer to the question other than to try to connect with someone in Ubuntu's operations. They have to know how damaging such consumer experiences are. In years passed I have worked helping out with other projects in IRC world and know we would remove sysops under certain circumstances. The first thing is to undo the injustice(really a terrible inconvenience as you were most likely seeking urgent help) Ubuntu used to have great sysops who never used ban powers but in the rare cases of true flooding/assault- but that seems to have changed over the last year or two.

One bad experience will turn people off to Ubuntu and maybe Linux. Strangely I don't see this kind of childish hostility in Mac or Windows tech/security areas. Yet I always find Linux people in generally to be very kind.

It just doesn't make any sense to me to ignore you and your concerns. I will try to do some research and follow up next week if I can find anything more helpful otherwise to you and others please don't give up-- Linux is a great tool. Linux is the base operating system of the Apple iPad/iPhones as well as Android both with Java overlays. Linux is the foundation of the internet and is getting better by the day!

Here are a couple of useful links:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil/
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/AppealProcess

I'm not exactly sure how much good this will be for you but consider it useful not just for your own individual case but for all the countless others who simply respond to mistreatment by IRC moderators/admins/sysops and other areas by remaining silent and shutting the Linux door.

Hi guys,

Elfy
September 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Old thread closed.