PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu in an LXC container

Skaperen
June 3rd, 2011, 01:48 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to install Ubuntu in an LXC container (assuming the host is 10.04.2LTS amd64 and the guest will be any recent version of Ubuntu on an ISO). I have successfully installed many versions of Ubuntu as guests under a qemu-kvm virtual machine. In theory, I could just extract those post-install files from the saved images, and populate a directory tree with them for LXC. But I was wondering if there was a way to do the install direct, or indirectly, from the ISO, given that in LXC one does not actually boot a kernel (if you didn't know that, you're unlikely to have an answer for this).

Rubi1200
June 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
I wonder if this might interest you:
http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/lxc-configure-ubuntu-lucid-containers/

Skaperen
June 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Not exactly what I am looking for, but it is interesting and has useful info that can apply to other stuff I'll be doing. My goal is to make a container that is as close to being a Ubuntu install as possible. I could use the file tree I extracted from a VM based install to do LXC. It already works with chroot (have done apt-get update and apt-get upgrade under a legacy chroot and that works). That's probably the direction I will have to take. But I was wondering if someone had worked out how to take the ISO apart and drop pieces of it into an LXC tree so it thinks it just booted up from a CD/DVD/ISO.