PDA

View Full Version : How is your HDD set up

vehemoth
June 3rd, 2011, 09:33 AM
I'm planning on doing a fresh install of linux over the next few days. How do you set up your drive Hardware/software RAID 0/1, GPT/MBR, dual boot, / and home, multi partitions or one large one.

Legendary_Bibo
June 3rd, 2011, 09:38 AM
Single HDD, no RAID, two partitions. One for Ubuntu, one for Windows.

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Right now one drive, All ubuntu (For now) and one partition.

However, I think you should use a separate home partition and mount it at boot. Theres many benefits to this, but it should be easy enough to do that I don't need to explain them. (I'll be doing this on my next install.)

vehemoth
June 3rd, 2011, 09:50 AM
I used to have a software RAID0, grub on the mbr, just debian squeeze on a single partition home included but I don't know whether it was really worth it. I find linux fast enough and don't need 1tb (2 x 500gb), maybe this time I'll try RAID 1 but I don't know if you can duplicate the boot loader and all that to work as well.

TenPlus1
June 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
120gb hard-drive (no raid), 20mb assigned to '/' and the rest to '/home', all works perfectly...

vehemoth
June 4th, 2011, 12:22 AM
120gb hard-drive (no raid), 20mb assigned to '/' and the rest to '/home', all works perfectly...

Do you mean 20gb or is that some really tiny distro that you're running?

Dustin2128
June 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM
If it is megabytes, he's going to have some severe problems in about... now.

vehemoth
June 4th, 2011, 12:35 AM
So which RAID set up is best for what.
I heard RAID 1 is better than RAID 0 for seek time, is that true.
Best thing about linux is you can afford to try every set up imaginable if you have the time.

BrokenKingpin
June 4th, 2011, 05:34 AM
I just pick use the full disk on all my PC/Laptops as I store most of my files on my home server. The home server has a RAID 5 setup.

vehemoth
June 4th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I just pick use the full disk on all my PC/Laptops as I store most of my files on my home server. The home server has a RAID 5 setup.

What's your home server run?

wolfen69
June 4th, 2011, 07:27 AM

You are smart. Sometimes. ;)

Backup is the key to tech happiness. I never keep "important" stuff on my OS install. It stays on separate drives and partitions. (backed up twice) The only reason I like a huge /home partition, is so I can host many instances of virtualbox.

Having your files in /home doesn't make them any easier to access. And if your hard drive dies, you're screwed.

TenPlus1
July 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM

ahahaha yeah, meant 20gb :P

disabledaccount
July 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Do you mean 20gb or is that some really tiny distro that you're running?:)
Just yesterday I've installed 10.04.2 on Medion MAM1250: Turion@1.8G/1GB RAM/ATI Radeon XPRESS 300M GFX/20GB Fujitsu HDD - works very very nice, even compiz effects are perfectly smooth (open drivers, no proprietary drivers available). HDD is splitted into 2 partitions: ~16GB for OS and 4GB for special data (invoice database) - laptop will be used in small shop.

My home desktop has mixed set of Raid partitions on 3xHDD 500GB, 2x HDD 80GB and 1 SSD 60GB - set of 6 drives gives wide field for experimenting :)

mips
July 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM
HDD is splitted into 2 partitions...

Sorry but every time I see that I something happens to me, I will not elaborate more on what that something is.

There is no such word as 'splitted', it's just plain old 'split'.

Not aimed at you directly but I see it a lot on the net.

disabledaccount
July 25th, 2011, 08:05 PM
...ok
As an excuse I can say that english is not my native language ;)

mips
July 25th, 2011, 08:28 PM
...ok
As an excuse I can say that english is not my native language ;)

No worries, you're English is pretty good. It's just I see so many people, native speakers included, using the word 'splitted' and it grates me at some low level :biggrin:

You have to excuse me, I'm just getting old and grumpy, apologies.