PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Los Angeles (2011)

Bandit
June 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Just wondering if anyone else has watched this movie. Because if you have I feel sorry for you.
Anyway I seen it was now on Netflix a few hours ago, thought to myself yea new movie.. Ran over to my Wii and started up Netflix and found it..
Well 15mins into the movie I felt like my IQ level had dropped to that of a rock. This movies acting really sux, seriously Syfy makes better movies and I dont try to watch to many of them. I seen better acting on Sesame Street.
How this movie became a big budget film is beyond me..

So if anyone is thinking of watching it.. Dont bother..

Cheers,
Exo

sectshun8
June 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
I'm gonna watch it just to see how much of it they play off the real story of the Battle of LA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles).

tapi0n
June 3rd, 2011, 08:53 AM
edit: got mixed up with a different movie ^^

Bandit
June 3rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
I'm gonna watch it just to see how much of it they play off the real story of the Battle of LA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles).

Yea I wanted to. Seemed to much like a copy of Independence Day

This says more about you then it does about the movie. Nowhere is stated 'You got to use your brains to see this movie'. As a viewer you need to know when you need to use your head and movies like these just scream brainless entertainment.

Maybe so, but I was referring to how poor the actors were acting and how bad the props were.

I will say I turned off my Wii and flipped my cable box over to the Science Channel were I was better entertained watching a show about plate tectonics and volcanoes around the pacific rim.

Bandit
June 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
edit: got mixed up with a different movie ^^

Ahh.. haha

Gerontion
June 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
I watched this a while back. I have to say that the writers/producers/etc know their business. Despite some of the worst dialogue in movie history and a general feeling that the entire plot was written by a computer (just how many utterly threadbare clichés can you work into one film?) and the obvious - and repugnant - ideological work being done, it still has an emotional tug at the end. It's a little like those tricks you always get in 1st year psychology courses which, despite your having seen them a thousand times before, still work their magic on you.

t0p
June 3rd, 2011, 12:06 PM
There are so few decent films about alien invasion. The best ones were made decades ago, with budgets and special effects that appear ludicrous nowadays, but we're willing to suspend our disbelief because the story is so good. Time for a new brilliant alien invasion film to be made, I think. In fact I'm going to open up a word processor and start on the script right now.

I want to design some (theoretically) realistic space vessels - battleships, freight ships, passenger ships. With that in mind, I'm trying to come up with examples.

For this, I want a decent computer aided design. Cheers, Martin

tapi0n
June 3rd, 2011, 02:42 PM
I've watched Battle of Los Angeles a couple of times now. I thought it might be one of those "acquired taste" things. But it isn't. It's just an awful film, with an awful script and awful acting.

There are so few decent films about alien invasion. The best ones were made decades ago, with budgets and special effects that appear ludicrous nowadays, but we're willing to suspend our disbelief because the story is so good. Time for a new brilliant alien invasion film to be made, I think. In fact I'm going to open up a word processor and start on the script right now. ;)

Then why would you watch it a couple of times?

I watched mega shark vs giant octopus (or something like that) one time and I'm still having nightmares about it. That movie hurt me physically. But no way I would ever watch it again. If you keep watching bad films over and over you have noone to blame but yourself ^^

Good luck with the script. If you need creative input post on the forum :P

Chronon
June 4th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Wow. I'm surprised so many people have watched this "mockbuster".

- Battle of Los Angeles is a direct to DVD "mockbuster" of Battle: Los Angeles.

drawkcab
June 4th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Gave it a chance. Had a few cool visuals but was otherwise a horrible piece of crap.

If you want to hurt yourself a bit more, watch Skyline. If you want something a little less awful, but still awful, watch Monsters.

Chronon
June 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Should we compare Transmorphers next? :popcorn:

Khakilang
June 4th, 2011, 05:24 AM
All action, no storyline and bad acting. This one really insult my inteligense.

Bandit
June 4th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Wow. I'm surprised so many people have watched this "mockbuster".

I think Battle: Los Angeles is the film I had meant to watch and got confused with that mockbuster!

earthpigg
June 4th, 2011, 05:48 AM
The mockbuster one is absolutely horrid.

I found the real one to be enjoyable, if one is watching it for the right reason:

Because you want to see Independence Day with grunts as the heroes, instead of fighter pilots.

As for the visuals: Better than Independence Day, not as good as Starship Troopers.

Real Film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Los_Angeles
Fake Film: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles_%28film%29

[small spoiler]
I liked how the busted up alien craft was spewing water, the way ours spew gasoline or oil - and the whole premise that our water is their petroleum.

PC_load_letter
June 4th, 2011, 06:41 AM
I couldn't watch more than 5~10 mins. from the movie in OP, I watched it on Netflix. Just horrid, a waste of pixels to say the least.
Anyone involved with this movie, I'm not sure they are professional on any level, should opt for a career change.

sectshun8
June 4th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Gave it a chance. Had a few cool visuals but was otherwise a horrible piece of crap.

If you want to hurt yourself a bit more, watch Skyline. If you want something a little less awful, but still awful, watch Monsters.

Just because you said so... Monsters it is... forgot I had that sitting around on my drive unwatched. In the first 5 minutes I was shocked to see Squidward from Spongebob ;)

morrcahn
June 4th, 2011, 08:27 AM
If you want to hurt yourself a bit more, watch Skyline.

You beat me to it. I was going to say that it was not nearly as bad as Skyline.

el_koraco
June 4th, 2011, 09:54 AM
I loved it!

koleoptero
June 4th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I usually like watching movies that have lots of visual effects, even if the scenario doesn't have much to offer. But this movie was too awful, I just couldn't watch it to the end. Its awfulness reminded me of that other one "Skyline". Just pure stupid with a big budget.

fontis
June 4th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I thought it was a decent random sci-fi movie...

tjwoosta
June 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I watched both..

Battle of los angeles (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758570/) - Your usual cheezy syfy channel copycat film. I watched it only because it premiered on syfy channel, I wouldnt have rented it.

Battle: Los Angeles (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217613/) - Better than the cheezy syfy knockoff, but still not all that great. I was a bit disapointed. Wouldnt bother watching it a second time.

t0p
June 4th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Then why would you watch it a couple of times?

Like I already said: I thought (hoped) it would be one of those "acquired taste" things. I'd just spent ages downloading the video file, so I really wanted to like it.

mehaga
June 5th, 2011, 12:25 AM
There are so few decent films about alien invasion. The best ones were made decades ago, with budgets and special effects that appear ludicrous nowadays, but we're willing to suspend our disbelief because the story is so good. Time for a new brilliant alien invasion film to be made, I think.

Come on, Avatar is a fantastic alien invasion movie :)

wolfen69
June 5th, 2011, 01:26 AM
I was actually one of the suckers who paid $11 at the theater to see that piece of crap movie. I hope the producers and director are banned from making any more movies.