PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How differant are video format options between tvs and pcs

sofasurfer
June 3rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
I can play nearly any video format on my pc because I have loaded all of the nessessary software. But what about tvs? I loaded some videos onto my flash drive and then I inserted it into the usb port of a LCD tv. Nothing on the drive would play. I assume it is because tv have a limited number of formats that they will play. It this the problem?
Now, if I intend to download videos and convert them so that they will play on a tv, what are my best options for..
#1 What is the preferred conversion software?
$2 What is the preferred format?

sectshun8
June 3rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
Are you even sure your TV can play video from the USB drive? Just because it has a USB drive doesnt mean it will play video from it. I have two large LCD TVs and the USB drive will play music, and display photos.. but the tv itself does not support or play videos from it, regardless of format. That USB port on your TV is also used to upgrade the firmware.. well for mine it is.

sofasurfer
June 3rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
I have played a couple videos on it, so yes it does have the capability.

andrew.46
June 3rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
My own television plays a decent array of video and audio codecs either in avi or mp4 container. I would suspect the safest would be xvid for the video, mp3 for the sound and avi for the container. Better quality would be h264 video, aac sound in an mp4 container. As for conversion software the best IMHO is FFmpeg.

sofasurfer
June 3rd, 2011, 11:40 PM
I converted to a ntsf dvd format and it plays. But man, it sure takes a long time to convert.