PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu on an old computer

japus
June 3rd, 2011, 04:25 AM
I have an old Pentium 2 machine 300mz and ram is maxed out..
Since I would like to learn Linux is it possible I may use that machine to install a version of Linux to become familiar with it ?
I have version 11 (32 bit) on a cd now.
Thanks

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 04:29 AM
The best you can hope for is Lubuntu, DSL, Command line install, or any of the other lightweight distros.

redstartheory
June 3rd, 2011, 04:37 AM
not certain but pretty sure last post is correct. an old-school distro is about all you can hope for. I'm running on a think pad myself so i get it, but shouldn't you be able to load 64? if nothing else more onboard options.

linuxinstalledfromhdd
June 3rd, 2011, 04:42 AM
The only distro I know that will work for that (that I have personally tested) is puppy linux.

jramshu
June 3rd, 2011, 04:48 AM
Damn Small Linux should run on it too.

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 04:52 AM
not certain but pretty sure last post is correct. an old-school distro is about all you can hope for.

I wouldn't necessarily call puppy/lubuntu/etc "Old-school". Sure, his specs won't run gnome-shell/Unity/KDE (Well, maybe KDE), but to say that he'll be getting an inferior install is a bit over the top.

Besides, most Linux users probably aren't even using those DE's yet........

Rubi1200
June 3rd, 2011, 07:54 AM
I would start by burning some LiveCDs and giving a few things a spin.

Here is a nice list of some ligh distros to try:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1582027

mörgæs
June 3rd, 2011, 10:50 AM
It is strange to experience how long-lived Damn Small Linux is in this forum, as opposed to in the real world. It is a stalled project, and nothing indicates that it will get up to speed again. Please don't recommend people to go this way.

The list provided by Rubi is a good beginning.

japus
June 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Thanks to everyone.
I formatted the drive I was going to install on, however I am getting a new machine so I believe I will use my 9 yr old powerhouse and use 1 drive in it for version 11...
I'm gonna save all the screws on the old one tho...LOL

mörgæs
June 4th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Good, please mark the thread 'solved'.