PDA

View Full Version : xfce + compiz

Smilax
June 3rd, 2011, 03:11 AM
well, did it, just got xfce and compiz set up, cube tastic! just a few little bugs to swat, but all in all, pretty sweet, i like it

Aquix
June 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Is it running smooth and how much cpu does it steal? I'm thinking about compiz on xfce too. Don't need all the fancy stuff but I'm addicted to the scale feature, and expo would be nice.

Toz
June 3rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
Cool. I've see a few threads of people asking how to do it. Mind throwing together some instructions that we can reference?

Hwæt
June 3rd, 2011, 05:54 AM
Kinda defeats the purpose of Xfce, doesn't it?

Aquix
June 3rd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Kinda defeats the purpose of Xfce, doesn't it?

I've seen that argument around but don't really understand what you mean by it. If it's that xfce is supposed to be a lightweight DE then I get it, but I think xfce might be chosen for other reasons, and if one have the cpu power I don't see how it really matter. Especially when there are many gnome shells and unity refugees around these days.

Smilax
June 3rd, 2011, 11:37 AM
Is it running smooth and how much cpu does it steal? I'm thinking about compiz on xfce too. Don't need all the fancy stuff but I'm addicted to the scale feature, and expo would be nice.

yea, she's running smooth

cpu usage is ~ 285 -295mb with compiz, emerald and conky.

goes up to ~430 with firefox

as for purpose, why not, xfces purpose wrt me is to do what i want it to. nothing more.

pretty much the normal install and set up route for compiz, only a few hiccups.

did a fresh install straight to xfce.

then install compiz

after installing compiz fusion it wasn't auto starts so in start up menu i type

compiz --replace ccp

which starts compiz every login, but caused all the window boarder's to disappear ,

so i had to use emerald it fix that with, also in run on start up.

emerald --replace

so far so good,

problems that remain,

can't get the menu bar to be transparent.

can't assign icons to my folders in /home dir

can't get cube caps to work?

which are just cosmetic

only real problem is conky and xfce don't play well,

now conky is running fine, but causes all desktop icons to disappear,

or i can have desktop icons but conky draws the root window behind it for sudo transparency. which on xfce is not the same as the desktop wallpaper, so don't look nice.

still working on that one, after a light lunch.

at the moment not really a problem as my desktop is by choice clean, i just have external drives and cd etc pop up there, but may becomeing annoying, but hey,i do love my conky,

peace