PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake has fully reached its EOL

FuturePilot
June 2nd, 2011, 09:47 PM
http://lwn.net/Articles/445677/

A bitter sweet moment. I started using Ubuntu with 6.06. Though it's amazing how far Ubuntu has come since then.

Hwæt
June 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM
Ah, I too have fond memories. It was my first Linux distro, as well. Surprisingly stable for any Ubuntu release.

peter d
June 2nd, 2011, 11:44 PM
6.06 was where I started. It took a bit of getting my wireless to work but was reliable and dependable enough for me to feel able to ditch Windows completely before 6.10 came out.

It was very brown, but it got me started with Linux. I’ve never looked back.

earthpigg
June 3rd, 2011, 01:29 AM
Who is it that actually "pulls the plug" or types the command on the main Ubuntu server?

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
Who is it that actually "pulls the plug" or types the command on the main Ubuntu server?
Me.

arpanaut
June 3rd, 2011, 02:38 AM
Surprisingly stable for any Ubuntu release.True. but they had to delay release 2 months to make it so.
Very controversial at the time
It was a mess in April,04

RIP 6.06 I shall remember you fondly

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2011, 02:51 AM
True. but they had to delay release 2 months to make it so.
Very controversial at the time
It was a mess in April,04

RIP 6.06 I shall remember you fondly
Ubuntu, delaying for stability? Man, those must have been the days...

cgroza
June 3rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Ubuntu, delaying for stability? Man, those must have been the days...
Too bad I did not catch "The days". I only started when Hardy was out and Ibex was only half on its way out.

Dr. C
June 3rd, 2011, 03:13 AM
Dapper Drake was the first version of Ubuntu that I used as my primary operating system. I remember planning well ahead to ensure that my Ubuntu 6.06 GNU / Linux was fully operational well in advance of the scheduled release date of another operating system in November of that year.

handy
June 3rd, 2011, 05:28 AM
I bid Dapper a fond farewell.

After Dapper, I had problems getting Ubuntu to run properly on one of my machines. Which was the beginning of the end for me & Ubuntu.

I distro hopped until I found Sabayon, which worked brilliantly, & then when it developed to the point that it wouldn't work properly on one of my machines I hopped some more & ended up finding that Arch did the trick.

Canis familiaris
June 3rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
My first Ubuntu as well. Sweet OS. Brought back my old Pentium III back to life.

user1397
June 4th, 2011, 01:15 AM
2 days ago on June 1st, 2011 support for dapper officially ended (desktop support ended in 2009, this is server support). It was a great release, cheers to the drake! :popcorn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ubuntu_releases