PDA

View Full Version : What is the age of people who LIKE UNITY?

Dragonbite
June 2nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
It has been suggested that the new Unity interface is supposed to be targeted to a younger crowd which has grown up using various devices and almost live by their phone and texting.

I'm curious if there is a correlation between age and the people who LIKE Unity.

If you do not like Unity, do not answer the poll. I created a sister-thread for those that do not like Unity (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1773651).

I'm curious to see if there is a pattern here or not.

Also, put down any particular features you like about Unity which may not have been present in Gnome 2.

If you don't use Unity, you can answer based on your experience with Gnome 3.

Remember, this poll is only for people who LIKE Unity!

dozycat
June 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I like to to able to use the windows key.
I like the way i can change and see the applications and desktops on the screen.
For the rest I just added the terminal to the bar.

spynappels
June 2nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
I also like being able to use the windows key and type the first 3 or 4 letters of the programme I want and hitting Enter.

I also keep my most used progs on the Launcher such as Terminal, Chromium, Writer, Thunderbird and Tomboy.

It's taken me the guts of a month to get back up to a similar level of comfort as Gnome, but I can honestly say I like Unity now.

ErikNJ
June 2nd, 2011, 03:42 PM
I like the idea of Unity and its design. However, I don't like when it doesn't function correctly - like when the dock doesn't auto-hide at random. Anyway, I think Unity is a great step forward but it shouldn't be at the cost of stability.

cloyd
June 2nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
I know I am in a minority, and Gnome is still good, but I am really liking Unity. Moving from application to application to look at or copy data is easier; with Unity, I just don't get confused. The only thing I have really missed is an applet to force close a misbehaving application. It is probably there, but I haven't found it. Love Unity.

Frogs Hair
June 2nd, 2011, 04:52 PM
I can reach my most used applications with out touching a menu and without plastering the panel with shortcuts.

No need to install a dock or global menu ppa anymore . Adding a system settings icon to the panel eliminates the need for the menus that included those items. Dash comes in handy at times and also I have not seen any of the problems reported in the help forums.

I used a dock for a year and liked it , if a person disliked or never used a dock they may dislike Unity and that is understandable.

ErikNJ
June 2nd, 2011, 05:51 PM
I know I am in a minority, and Gnome is still good, but I am really liking Unity. Moving from application to application to look at or copy data is easier; with Unity, I just don't get confused. The only thing I have really missed is an applet to force close a misbehaving application. It is probably there, but I haven't found it. Love Unity.

You can also run "top," look for the PID of the bad process and kill it. You can even hit 'k' while top is running in the terminal and just type the PID (but be careful not to kill the wrong process).

DZ*
June 2nd, 2011, 06:08 PM
I'm curious if there is a correlation between age and the people who LIKE Unity. If you do not like Unity, do not answer the poll. I created a sister-thread for those that do not like Unity (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1773651).

You'll need results of these two polls and the overall age distribution on the forums to look for things like "younger people who like Unity are more enthusiastic about responding". Of course, the mere fact of hanging on the forums makes the sample hugely biased to start with ;)

cpmman
June 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Auto hidden panels as I had before Unity. Same contents.

Only thing missing is the Parcellite pictograph for quick access to any of last 25 or so clipboard entries. Using a notes file until it catches up with Natty.

(You need a total user population age analysis as well to derive anything meaningful from the stats)

Frogs Hair
June 2nd, 2011, 07:00 PM
Auto hidden panels as I had before Unity. Same contents.

Only thing missing is the Parcellite pictograph for quick access to any of last 25 or so clipboard entries. Using a notes file until it catches up with Natty.

(You need a total user population age analysis as well to derive anything meaningful from the stats)

I'm using the Pastie PPA which includes a panel short cut.

BlueDon
June 2nd, 2011, 07:25 PM
you should have broken down 20-30 into at least two distinctions. I'm at the upper end of that and whereas I have grown up with technology moving at an astonishing rate, I went to school and used BBC computers. I feel I grew up in an entirely different world than someone at the lower end of the scale.

Considering this age bracket is probably the target bracket, it's probably not wholly representative.

Having said that, I really like Unity. So maybe it is.

Bandit
June 2nd, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hey Dragonbite, can you add a N/A option to the poll so others can see the results?

Thanks,
Exo

you should have broken down 20-30 into at least two distinctions. I'm at the upper end of that and whereas.........

Very good point also. I would suggest based on a 5 year rule start with age 12.

Age 12 or less, 13-18, 19-24, 25-30, 31-36, 37-42, 43-48, 49-54, 55 or older.

Gone fishing
June 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Born 63 puts me in the old git range - I like Unity, I think I'd like something like the BeOS tracker to see open apps and shift between them.

ErikNJ
June 3rd, 2011, 12:33 AM
Born 63 puts me in the old git range - I like Unity, I think I'd like something like the BeOS tracker to see open apps and shift between them.

By "liking" unity, you are automatically not old. ;)

arpanaut
June 3rd, 2011, 01:55 AM
By "liking" unity, you are automatically not old. :wink:

My mind says yes, My body says OH-NO
Born 1948, yikes! Didn't touch a 'puter until Win 3.1 came standard.
(honestly didn't touch bec. I was sure I would break it)

I started using Unity early in the Natty Dev cycle and at first was not impressed.
As I became more comfortable and knowledgeable about how it worked, I began to like it.
Six months later... Well I see a lot of potential. I prefer it to the classic gnome panel layout.
Does it need to have some improvements in custom-ability and functionality, yes absolutely!

When I use Lucid and Maverick, which are absolutely wonderful releases, the menu system just bores me to death.
I love the lenses and the search features within, so simple.
I love that I am being made to become more keyboard orientated, I have always been a "point & clicker" and embrace the change. <Just don't mess with my ability to lay back in my Lazy-Boy and P&C in my browser>

Simplicity=Yes
Zero-configuration=NO

Unity is young and growing.
PS: g-shell is an interesting tangent also.

I came to Linux for something different and with a willingness to experiment.
That was in late 2004, nothing changed, still here for the same reasons.
Is it perfect... Nope
Is there room for growth... Absolutely.
Am I having FUN... You Betcha!

<and all of this is coming from an old fart that just took a job with an IT company supporting Windows systems>
Some Peoples Kids? lol

Dustin2128
June 3rd, 2011, 02:11 AM
You'll need results of these two polls and the overall age distribution on the forums to look for things like "younger people who like Unity are more enthusiastic about responding". Of course, the mere fact of hanging on the forums makes the sample hugely biased to start with ;)
Well there's the what is your age and what do you use ubuntu for megathread for that.

dniMretsaM
June 3rd, 2011, 02:16 AM
I'm 15 and I like Unity.

KiwiNZ
June 3rd, 2011, 02:18 AM
I like it and I am old

JohnBonne
June 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
I like Ubuntu Unity better than Mac or Windows.

It is challenging but by the number of beans I have it suits me and my budget.

The whole line of Linux came highly recommended.

Tibuda
June 3rd, 2011, 02:23 AM
What is the age of people who LIKE UNITY? 0 - 150
What is the age of people who DISLIKE UNITY? 0 - 150

Dragonbite
June 3rd, 2011, 02:58 AM
Hey Dragonbite, can you add a N/A option to the poll so others can see the results?

Yeah, I don't like not being able to see the results unless I vote (and I'd have to vote on both if I want to see both).

Plus, as more people would select "n/a" to see the results it will skew the percentages and make it a little more convoluted.

This is just a for-fun poll, no heavy-duty scientific research going on here. I was curious if there were any trends and in the beginning it looked like the pro-Unity was in the 31-40 range while the dislike was in the 21-40 ranges. Now it seems 2x the number of people in the under-21 range like Unity.

Still, interesting to see the results as they go on, plus the comments. Keep em coming!

Irihapeti
June 3rd, 2011, 03:41 AM
Interesting that both of them have more or less the same curve as the "what is your age and what do you use ubuntu for" poll.

Probably someone's already said it, but with these polls, it's likely to be those who feel more strongly who will vote.

Dr. C
June 3rd, 2011, 03:41 AM

Absolutely. There have been many polls on the age of the members of this community over the years. The peak of the distribution is typically around age 20. The largest age group is 21-30, the second largest is 11-20, it then drops down with age, with sometimes a small increase in the 61-70 age group.

CraigPaleo
June 3rd, 2011, 04:05 AM
It's interesting that tweens are making up the vote.

These are the kids who grew up with gadgets, literally stuck in their heads, in order to monitor their heartbeats during labor; who could, once born, figure out a DVR before their parents had a chance to read the instructions.

Khakilang
June 3rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
I like Unity but I hope it can be more customisable.

Thewhistlingwind
June 3rd, 2011, 05:26 AM
It's interesting that tweens are making up the vote.

These are the kids who grew up with gadgets, literally stuck in their heads, in order to monitor their heartbeats during labor; who could, once born, figure out a DVR before their parents had a chance to read the instructions.

I voted in the other poll as 00-20.:popcorn:

cpmman
June 3rd, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'm using the Pastie PPA which includes a panel short cut.

Thanks for that Frogs Hair - works a treat.

kansasnoob
June 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Sort of a bad poll, but a great idea.

I'm nearly older than dirt and I just can't really work well with either Unity or gnome-shell, but I can't enter any response to the poll.

But I maintain nearly 40 PC's with Ubuntu for seniors that were either w/o computers or stuck in Win98/ME land, and every one of them I've shown Unity to thinks it sucks.

Maybe we need an Elderbuntu :)

DZ*
June 3rd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that Frogs Hair - works a treat.
There is also a fork of parcellite in the repos called "clipit" that works with Unity.

jchw
June 4th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Having totally failed to install 11.04 due to the black screen problem I cannot vote in this poll as I am unable to say I like Unity from first hand experience. However, after reading all the threads about the horrors of 11.04 I am so glad that after 3 installation attempts, one upgrade attempt, one wiped out hard drive, one blissful re-installation of 10.10 I am now back in the world of sanity with 10.10.

Dragonbite
June 4th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Sort of a bad poll, but a great idea.

I'm nearly older than dirt and I just can't really work well with either Unity or gnome-shell, but I can't enter any response to the poll.

But I maintain nearly 40 PC's with Ubuntu for seniors that were either w/o computers or stuck in Win98/ME land, and every one of them I've shown Unity to thinks it sucks.

Maybe we need an Elderbuntu :)

Sounds like you are a candidate for this poll's sister-poll What is the age of people who does NOT like Unity? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1773651) ;)

kansasnoob
June 4th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Sounds like you are a candidate for this poll's sister-poll What is the age of people who does NOT like Unity? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1773651) ;)

Indeed. Thanks :D

Docaltmed
June 5th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I learned BASIC on a terminal connected to an IBM mainframe owned by Ma Bell, punched cards in dark basements and waited 4 hours to discover that the dolt who loaded the reader had dropped my stack.

My first computer used a cassette tape drive for storage. I taught myself assembly language on my Osborne "portable" running CP/M. I've been through MS-DOS and every version of Windows until Vista, which finally threw me over the edge, and I crash-landed (literally) on Linux's doorstep.

So when I read the kiddies whimperin' and whamperin' about how they can't stand the new DE and stomping their feet until they get their panels back, I just have to laugh. They haven't got a clue what's in store for them.

raja.genupula
June 5th, 2011, 06:04 PM
i am not much roamed with unity . but its not attracted me when i used with netbook edition of 10.10.

Primefalcon
June 5th, 2011, 06:21 PM
T^his doesn't really prove anything, especially since its probably the younger type that are using computers and Linux more anyhow

Thewhistlingwind
June 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I learned BASIC on a terminal connected to an IBM mainframe owned by Ma Bell, punched cards in dark basements and waited 4 hours to discover that the dolt who loaded the reader had dropped my stack.

My first computer used a cassette tape drive for storage. I taught myself assembly language on my Osborne "portable" running CP/M. I've been through MS-DOS and every version of Windows until Vista, which finally threw me over the edge, and I crash-landed (literally) on Linux's doorstep.

So when I read the kiddies whimperin' and whamperin' about how they can't stand the new DE and stomping their feet until they get their panels back, I just have to laugh. They haven't got a clue what's in store for them.

Whats in store for them? (I'm fine with retiring gnome-panels.)

Could you clarify that last statement?

Docaltmed
June 5th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Whats in store for them? (I'm fine with retiring gnome-panels.)

Could you clarify that last statement?

More changes. And changes that, from a long-term perspective, will make the move from the Gnome 2 DE to Unity seem like a drop in the bucket.

Dragonbite
June 10th, 2011, 02:53 PM
It's amazing how close the polls are, and how they are weighed. It's been consistent for a while now. The last time I looked there were about 80 some-odd voters and even the Top 1,2,3 %-wise has stayed close to the same.

DZ*
June 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM
It's amazing how close the polls are

Actually, it depends on how you look at it. Without a specific age-related hypothesis in mind, distributions aren't "significantly different". But people tend to be younger in the first poll and that is significant

sudo apt-get install r-base
R
> # chisquare test is oblivious to order
> p1 <- c(32,34,20,6,11,7,1,2)
> p2 <- c(20,44,42,12,13,6,1,3)
> chisq.test(cbind(p1,p2), simulate.p.value=TRUE, B=1000000)
p-value = 0.1139
>
> # how large the last age value is doesn't affect this test
> # (similarly, doubling the max doesn't change the sample median)
> age <- c(10,25,35,45,55,65,75,5000)
> a1 <- rep(age, p1); a2 <- rep(age, p2)
> wilcox.test(a1, a2, alternative="less")$p.value
[1] 0.02374473

Dragonbite
August 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
It does seem as if the people who like Unity are on the younger side which isn't a big surprise. That holds true my hypothesis even if it isn't "scientific" enough.

I am wondering if this has changed any since Unity has been out how for about 3 months (in 11.04) and development is still underway for 11.10 coming in 3 months (since it is the beginning of August, I'm counting it).

cpmman
August 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM
It does seem as if the people who like Unity are on the younger side which isn't a big surprise. That holds true my hypothesis even if it isn't "scientific" enough.

I am wondering if this has changed any since Unity has been out how for about 3 months (in 11.04) and development is still underway for 11.10 coming in 3 months (since it is the beginning of August, I'm counting it).

Cobblers mate - I'm 64 going on 65 and I like Unity - closest thing to breaking boring menus and scrappy desktop pictographs or sicky docks since GEM.

I am sure it will allow the removal of bloat (recommended office ware and silly "social interaction" ware) leaving us with our own choice of what is good for our needs.

BigSilly
August 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I voted as a Gnome 3+shell user mainly as I absolutely love it, though I do like Unity too. Approaching the 40 mark. :)

ninjaaron
August 8th, 2011, 10:19 PM
26, love Unity. I like the single-button dash launcher with instant search. I always installed 3rd party apps for this in gnome (like synapse or gnome-do), but they seem to take a lot more system resources that the Dash. Anyone who is still clicking through menus to find programs has some kind of deficiency. I'd rather launch everything from the terminal or command dialogue than do that.

I also like having the menus and window controls integrated into panel. The default window title bar is something like 24 pixels (even bigger on the Gnome 3 default theme), and the menus are about the same. Add that to a normal 24px panel (also larger in Gnome3), and you have 72px of interface stacked before the content starts, and most of it doesn't provide any useful information. On most screens, that's 9.4% of the total space. In Gnome 3 default, it's more like 10 or 12%

If there is one thing I hate in a UI, it's content being pushed out of the screen by interface. Menus and window controls don't give any information, and I don't want to look at them all the time. In my perfect UI, they would all disappear until mouse-over I like to see the indicator applets and the clock all the time, because they actually give information that is useful, so I count them as "content." I want everything else to disappear and the screen to be filled with content. Unity dedicates only 24 px, 3.1%, to interface, and almost all of that is filled with useful information without sacrificing any of the control given.

The dock in unity is still a piece of **** (indicators and custom menus in the buttons are nice, but there isn't really much of an option for customisation and applets like 3rd party docks can offer), and window management with the mouse is pretty bad as well, but I do all that stuff with keyboard shortcuts anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

wafflesausage
August 8th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Wait, aren't most members (and presumably users) here in the 20 - 30 age range? This data isn't significant because the age groups are drastically disproportionate.

PC_load_letter
August 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I am a Gnome-Do, Synapse kind of guy, so the Unity's launcher is something I'm used to. I like to use the keyboard to save time and clicking effort :D

As for the docky thing, I'm indifferent so far, it looks nice, and I'm sure it has a wow factor for some, I just barely use it. I have Unity installed on a laptop I have, not yet on my main computers. I just hope it'll behave well, and be bug-free when it's used w/ Gnome 3 in Oneiric.
About that, I have a question:

Will Unity use Mutter under Gnome 3 or stay as a Compiz plugin? Does this mean both Mutter & Compiz will be running at the same time? How nice do they act together, and how much resources will be dedicated to running both?

1roxtar
August 8th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Just turned 41 myself. I have been using and adapting with each release since Ubuntu 9.04. I for one LOVE the Unity desktop over the "Classic" Gnome 2.x or 3.0 desktop shells. And it's getting better and better with 11.10 Oneric Ocelot.

I wasn't crazy about Unity in it's 10.04 Netbook Edition (built with Mutter), but when it landed in 11.04 I was completely sold on the idea. A lot of people say it was change for change's sake. I don't agree. I get it, that Ubuntu wants to be it's own distinct brand. 11.04 was Unity's rough draft, 11.10 will be Unity polished and fine-tuned and by 12.04 LTS it will be ready to hit the world with guns blazing.

1roxtar
August 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Will Unity use Mutter under Gnome 3 or stay as a Compiz plugin? Does this mean both Mutter & Compiz will be running at the same time? How nice do they act together, and how much resources will be dedicated to running both?

If my understanding is correct the Gnome 3 "SHELL" runs on Mutter and yes, Unity is still a Compiz plugin in 11.10. If you login into Ubuntu (Unity), you will run it's shell with compiz and if you login under Gnome, you will run the Mutter shell (Gnome 3 Shell).

Dragonbite
August 9th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Just turned 41 myself.

Ahh.. so you are a 1970 model too (I've got about 4 months before my birthday, though)?

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 9th, 2011, 02:02 AM
My opinion hasn't changed. I will continue to monitor Unity and Gnome 3 progress through Virtualization. I will continue using Ubuntu 10.04, CentOS 5 or 6, etc., on my primary computers until I think Unity or Gnome 3 is mature enough. If, by the time Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported and I don't find Unity or Gnome 3 mature enough, there are other alternatives I can choose to use. I have used computers for a very long time, I started using computers before 74% of the people that voted in this poll were born, and I bought my first home computer before 56% of the people that voted in this poll were born. I have seen Operating Systems and Desktop Environments come and go; however, it doesn't stop me from using my computer.