PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Make an .iso file / Complete reset ubuntu?

Soldier2580
June 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM
Hey, I have 11.04 installed on my laptop, but now I want to reset everything, so not just settings or programs, a real fresh start.

Long story short: Back in the days, I downloaded the .iso file to make a liveUSB of 10.04, so i still have that on my pc. I'd like a more recent version,
but my internet is too slow to download a new iso file, or to do the upgrade via 10.10. So I was wondering, is there any way to "extract" the iso file of my current install (natty)?

Or of course if I can completely reset ubuntu or run a complete reinstall from the inside out, that would be great, too!

Thanks!

[NOTE: my / and swap partitions can be formatted, so there are no files needed from them anymore]

mörgæs
June 3rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
You could try Remastersys.

Soldier2580
June 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
Hey, thanks for your answer. I have now downgraded back to 10.04, so I wont be trying Remastersys, though it looks like what I needed.

Before I mark it as solved, but just to know,is there is an option in Remastersys to NOT save your changes? I mean, to not get a custom iso file, but the standard one?

mörgæs
June 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
No, the original packages are not present on the system after a number of updates, so there is no basis for recreating the original ISO. Most people wouldn't want to anyway, since the new packages contain bug fixes.

Soldier2580
June 6th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Yeah, but i figured i had been messing around a bit too much, leaving a trial of small wreckages.. Meh. Ok, got everything i needed to know, thanks for your help! :)