PDA

View Full Version : Linux certification ?!?

nos09
June 2nd, 2011, 12:43 PM
I was wondering how would i get linux certificates ?! i know about the Redhat's RHCE(redhat certified engineer) exam that gives you a certificate.

i was a commerce student and now i want to change my career in IT field and thinking about getting admission in post-graduate programe in IT fields in canada. but they all require grade 12 maths !! and as i was a commerce student i didnt had one. so I think getting a Linux certificate would really help me to get admission in those collages.. ?!? and besides learning is great in itself too ! lol

is there any other popular 'Linux' certificates that can help me to make a good living and even i helps to learn more out of them ?!

Mark Phelps
June 2nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
Need to learn how to use Google ...

http://www.gocertify.com/faq/linuxfaq.shtml

nos09
June 3rd, 2011, 05:16 AM
Need to learn how to use Google ...

http://www.gocertify.com/faq/linuxfaq.shtml

Thanks Mark.

mattgyver83
June 3rd, 2011, 10:27 PM
FYI, the CompTIA Linux+ gets you 3 different certificates as its recognized by two different vendors. 2 tests, about 160$ each

CompTIA Linux+ (lifetime, for what its worth)
LPIC -1 (Linux Professional Institute, 5 years)
Novell CLA (Certified Linux Administrator, no expiry on mine so i guess life)

That's what I did, best of luck.

nos09
June 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM
FYI, the CompTIA Linux+ gets you 3 different certificates as its recognized by two different vendors. 2 tests, about 160$ each

CompTIA Linux+ (lifetime, for what its worth)
LPIC -1 (Linux Professional Institute, 5 years)
Novell CLA (Certified Linux Administrator, no expiry on mine so i guess life)

That's what I did, best of luck.

that sounds good ... and I dont think that i can get any class here as they are all dumb in this part of the world !! so is it possible to prepare it on my own ?!?! or its hard enough to consider class anyway ?

and tell me more about your experience .. is it good to make a good living out of it as you know i can stay in the same field while i learn more.. :P

mattgyver83
December 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM
nos09

I hope this reply finds you well and perhaps you are well on your way or have already achieved your goal. Forgive me for the delayed reply I have much happen this year and not been very active in the forums since but after seeing this I did want to follow up for you, and any others that might have an interest.

Getting this certification was for my own personal goals really, I had been an avid self-taught linux user for about 6 years prior to this but really not in any real linux environment, just in the home-desktop world. My goals were quite simple just as yourself however I had just recently switched from the retail world to the IT world with no experience outside of my own first hand experiences.

Getting the Linux+ was a great decision and I was able to study for it all myself without taking any classes. In my new positions I think it solidified to my peers that despite that I had no college education or formal linux trianing that I had a willingness to learn and had a well rounded knowledge in the fundamentals of linux which eentually led me to get into some linux related projects at my new job.

The material was mostly a recap of things that I had read or used in other places but it did put it together nicely and strengthened my comprehension. It is a two part test but since it acquires you so many other certifications alongside of it you really cannot go wrong and IMO its silly for anyone wanting to get into a linux related field without formal training or education in the material to get.

Would I say that any of these certifications will land me my next job? Hard to say, but what I can say is that like everything else it was an investment of time and money that I put into myself and feel a sense of fulfillment and confidence in linux because of that experience - let alone the 6 years prior to this. This kind of acted as my foundation if you will and led me into deeper things and I as well followed through with some other CompTIA courses since this (A+, Net+) and will be studying for the LPIC-2 later this year.

Sorry for the length but I hope it benefits you in some way, some people say that certifications are a waste of money and time and get you nowhere but I believe any investment in yourself is worth every dime - especially when it is unwarranted.

M

nos09
December 22nd, 2011, 09:41 AM
nos09

I hope this reply finds you well and perhaps you are well on your way or have already achieved your goal. Forgive me for the delayed reply I have much happen this year and not been very active in the forums since but after seeing this I did want to follow up for you, and any others that might have an interest.

Getting this certification was for my own personal goals really, I had been an avid self-taught linux user for about 6 years prior to this but really not in any real linux environment, just in the home-desktop world. My goals were quite simple just as yourself however I had just recently switched from the retail world to the IT world with no experience outside of my own first hand experiences.

Getting the Linux+ was a great decision and I was able to study for it all myself without taking any classes. In my new positions I think it solidified to my peers that despite that I had no college education or formal linux trianing that I had a willingness to learn and had a well rounded knowledge in the fundamentals of linux which eentually led me to get into some linux related projects at my new job.

The material was mostly a recap of things that I had read or used in other places but it did put it together nicely and strengthened my comprehension. It is a two part test but since it acquires you so many other certifications alongside of it you really cannot go wrong and IMO its silly for anyone wanting to get into a linux related field without formal training or education in the material to get.

Would I say that any of these certifications will land me my next job? Hard to say, but what I can say is that like everything else it was an investment of time and money that I put into myself and feel a sense of fulfillment and confidence in linux because of that experience - let alone the 6 years prior to this. This kind of acted as my foundation if you will and led me into deeper things and I as well followed through with some other CompTIA courses since this (A+, Net+) and will be studying for the LPIC-2 later this year.

Sorry for the length but I hope it benefits you in some way, some people say that certifications are a waste of money and time and get you nowhere but I believe any investment in yourself is worth every dime - especially when it is unwarranted.

M

first of all I don't believe that that massage will self destruct .. lol

and anyway you bet that helped. I am actually preparing for RHCE, but not at the moment - I need to sort some things out first, and I am really looking forward to have that certificate some day soon.

coldraven
December 22nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
first of all I don't believe that that massage will self destruct .. lol

and anyway you bet that helped. I am actually preparing for RHCE, but not at the moment - I need to sort some things out first, and I am really looking forward to have that certificate some day soon.
I'm only trying to be helpful here.
You need to slow down and check what you write, your posts are full of spelling and grammatical errors.
If you become a sys-admin and mis-spell an rm command you will be in big trouble.
My old boss logged into a customers system (via a dial-up modem) and tried to split a big database into nine chunks. He accidentally split it into chunks of nine bytes! The result was hundreds of thousands of files. He was sweating for hours trying to make it good.
See:
man split

Good luck with your new career.

mattgyver83
January 11th, 2012, 12:46 AM
I'm only trying to be helpful here.
You need to slow down and check what you write, your posts are full of spelling and grammatical errors.

I do this all the time so this is such good protip. I remember the first time I accidentally deleted /lib going too fast on my home system. In fact..... I think I posted on the forums asking for help trying to fix it, yeesh. Since then I have been super paranoid of rm'ing anything or other drastic commands. I probably screwed something up in this post too.