PDA

View Full Version : Installation errors

mje1708
June 2nd, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi

I have an Asus eee 1000. Was running Ubuntu 10.04 netbook remix quite happily for some months until recently when I had some problems and decided to reinstall. Unfortunately that is when my real problems began.

I have tried using various CD.s with Ubuntu 10.04 desktop and Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook remix. Both give the same error -

The installer encountered an error copying files to the hard disk:
[Errno 5] Input/output error
This is often due to a faulty CD/DVD disk or drive, or a faulty hard disk. It may help to clean the CD/DVD, to burn the CD/DVD at a lower speed, to clean the CD/DVD drive lens (cleaning kits are often available from electronics suppliers), to check whether the hard disk is old and in need of replacement, or to move the system to a cooler environment.

I tried using an SD card to install - that also gave errors.

I tried installing Windows as much as I hate it and, annoyingly, that installed without any problems whatsoever. Then I tried using the Alternate Install disc. That gave me a different error - did everything and apparently installed a "basic" system but failed to install software. Struggled to find an answer to that.

So, anybody any ideas about how I can get Ubuntu 10.04 back on my netbook. As it stands at the moment I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I will have to install Windows or buy a new netbook - this seems preposterous!

I have seen that many people have this error and so it seems like some sort of bug. The only clue I had is that I did succeed in installing Ubuntu on my second 32 GB SD (the netbook has two (an 8 GB and a 32 GB). Unfortunately this SD appears much slower than the first so I erased it and went back to trying to get it on the 8 GB as before. Now it won't install on either - gives the same error. I do not believe that both my SD.s can be faulty and so I can only assume that somehow they both need erasing or formatting or something before I can reinstall.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Mike

mje1708
June 2nd, 2011, 05:12 PM
As a follow up to my earlier post - since it may help somebody else.

I seem to have solved my problem. As I said, I didn't believe that there could be something wrong with both my SD drives - instead I thought it was some kind of Ubuntu bug. So I tried installing again but this time asked it to create a new partition (5.5 GB) and install on that - instead of erasing and installing on the whole of the 8 GB SD. This seemed to do the trick and it installed without any errors.

Only problem now is that I have 2.5 GB of the 8 GB SD unused and unpartitioned - I would like to combine that with the other 5.5 GB partition where Ubuntu is installed. I read a few posts about this and now not sure whether it can be done easily and without risk - having struggled for so long to get Ubuntu re-installed I don't want to risk it all again.